Author Topic: Gaming shows you enjoy!  (Read 5116 times)

Gaming shows you enjoy!
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:02:43 pm »
I figure a good portion of us generally watch game related shows online, whether it is just a lets play or a review or a full retrospective on something, we like games, so we like to watch stuff about games.  Figure we could share some shows we enjoy as I seem to come across new stuff every so often.  Maybe expose someone to a new show.

To start, I'll post Game Sack, a show that is more about showing off multiple games within a certain topic, for a larger review of upwards to 30 minutes and sometimes longer.  It has two hosts with their own tastes, playfully one being more of a Nintendo guy, the other Sega, but they show some nice depth into the type of games they'll play, learning more about games you might not have heard of.  Very good production values also, especially through most of their back catalog which is nice for a show as for me it gets abit tough to watch a show with shoddy production even if the host might be entertaining.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrGameSack

Another to add will be The Completionist.  I've followed him for awhile now and really love his show.  He prides himself on quality production and with all the game review shows out there, one that is dedicated to a games completion and all of its secrets really stands out to me.  Videos are anywhere between twenty to thirty minutes, there's good humor mixed in with his friend Greg and I find them both to be real genuine people and the kind you want to meet cause you'd think of them real cool to hang with and just talk about games.  Also the man has one of the beastliest beards in gaming.  It can get pretty epic lol
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThatOneVideoGamer

I'll post a few more later on once the ball gets rolling.

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Gaming shows you enjoy!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 12:19:18 pm »
I used to like Qore, Pulse, and The Tester. All produced by Sony and all now discontinued.

argyle

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:28:14 pm »
I've recently gotten into watching The Completionist and have been going through all the back episodes.  Very good stuff.  :)

I never miss an update of Metal Jesus Rocks! or Happy Console Gamer, those are both great.  I've discovered some really good games by watching MJR's "hidden gems" videos. 

And my wife and I loved The Tester as well, it was a guilty pleasure of ours. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »
LOVE
- AlphaOmegaSin
- The Game Chasers
- Pat the NES Punk
- AVGN

- Charge Back Forward (RIP  :( [size=78%] )[/size]
- Adam Koralik (aka Figureitout productions)
- Finngamer
- Norm the Gaming Historian
- YuriofWind
- NES Complex
- Gamester81
- Racketboy

Dislike
- Happy Console Gamer
- Metal Jesus Rocks
- Pete Dorr
- Clan of the Gray Wolf
- John Tron

HATE
- Review Tech USA
- Pewdipie
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:47:04 pm by bikingjahuty »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 01:23:51 pm »
What I watch:

-8-Bit ROB (wish he still did reviews) - Old school reviews done in character by Rob the Robot, with a bit of humor.

-Classic Game Room - Mark was one of the first, and still one of the most reliable online reviewers out there that stays true to his own tastes and views.

-CGR Undertow - A spin-off of Classic Game Room featuring other, newer reviewers other than Mark. My favorite being Derek (can't stand the PC guy with the glasses and pony-tail, though). It's great to get new reviews everyday, thanks to these guys. Discovered so many games here.

-G4 Icons - Re-runs of the single-best show G4 ever produced with a documentary-style reflecting on different subjects throughout the history of gaming.

-Game Sack - Great show that is obviously a labor of love from two old-school gamers. One guy being the Nintendo guy, and the other being the Sega guy. A full half-hour show, too.

-Irate Gamer - I like his tongue-in-cheek style, and various references to other stuff in geek-culture. I also like the recurring side-characters. I know I'm in the minority on him, though. I'm not sure he makes regular reviews anymore, though (those were the only ones I'd watch, none of his "Irate the 80s" or action figure stuff).

-MetalJesusRocks - I like his reviews because he's honest, and he just seems like a cool guy I'd hang-out with if I knew him personally.

-TurboViews - Very professional looking and sounding reviews that focus solely on TurboGrafx-16 and Turbo-CD games. His review releases have slowed to a craw, though, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:49:34 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »
On Youtube I like things like AVGN, Pat the NES Punk, The Game Chasers, and a few more of that "type".

As for actual TV shows though I absolutely love Game Center CX.

scott

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »
I like listening to AlphaOmegaSin rant on occassion.

I can get stuck listening to Yahtzee go on and on in Zero Punctuation for hours. (It's happened more than once)

I used to listen/watch Totally Rad Show all the time. But I lost track of it for awhile, then I found out that they stopped making the show. :(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 04:33:47 pm »
I used to love all the great TechTV stuff. Once it totally turned into G4 I kind of stopped following. (With exception to Icons.) Electronic Playground, The Screen Savers, Extended Play (aka X-Play).

As for YouTube....

Matt Barton - Matt Chat
A complete hidden gem of the Youtubes. He's a professor and programmer who interviews REAL game developers about their careers and projects they've worked on. He mainly focuses on 80s and early 90s PC game designers. Robert Sirotek of Sir-Tech John Romero of id Software, Richard Garriott of Origin Systems, Sandy Petersen of id Software/Ensemble Studios, Howard Scott Warshaw of Atari, and many others. So if you actually care about the people behind the games this is definitely a channel you'll want to check out.

RetroGameTech
Scottish collector who knows a thing or two about electronics. A lot of his videos consist of buying broken hardware off eBay then goes through the process of repairing them. If you're into electronics like me it's really fascinating to watch.

lukemorse1
Luke is an American living in Japan (since 2003). He has an extensive collection of arcade boards and rare Japanese consoles. He has a lot of review and vlogging type videos which aren't that great to be honest, but where he really shines is on his repair videos. This dude knows his shit. He fixes just about everything. Another great channel for you tech freaks out there.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 05:25:13 pm »
I used to love all the great TechTV stuff. Once it totally turned into G4 I kind of stopped following. (With exception to Icons.) Electronic Playground, The Screen Savers, Extended Play (aka X-Play).

As for YouTube....

Matt Barton - Matt Chat
A complete hidden gem of the Youtubes. He's a professor and programmer who interviews REAL game developers about their careers and projects they've worked on. He mainly focuses on 80s and early 90s PC game designers. Robert Sirotek of Sir-Tech John Romero of id Software, Richard Garriott of Origin Systems, Sandy Petersen of id Software/Ensemble Studios, Howard Scott Warshaw of Atari, and many others. So if you actually care about the people behind the games this is definitely a channel you'll want to check out.

RetroGameTech
Scottish collector who knows a thing or two about electronics. A lot of his videos consist of buying broken hardware off eBay then goes through the process of repairing them. If you're into electronics like me it's really fascinating to watch.

lukemorse1
Luke is an American living in Japan (since 2003). He has an extensive collection of arcade boards and rare Japanese consoles. He has a lot of review and vlogging type videos which aren't that great to be honest, but where he really shines is on his repair videos. This dude knows his shit. He fixes just about everything. Another great channel for you tech freaks out there.

I'm going to check the last two out as they both sound very interesting.  I love watching stuff getting worked on and being in Japan gives a very unique viewpoint on things.  Game Sack recently had a video where they go about modding a Turbo Duo and Genesis with some new parts and hookups.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 07:10:01 pm »
Godly Tier:
Classic Game Room with Mark
Critikal
VIDEOGAMEDUNKEY
Fitzthistlewits

Okay Tier:
HyperBitHero (He did a great in-depth review on why TLOU was disappointing)
Matthewmatosis (Good W101 review)

Avoid At All Costs Tier:
Pewdiepie
Anyone forcing out "gaming" videos on youtube just for ad revenue (Angry Joe, Total Biscuit, etc)
IGN reviews
Gamespot reviews

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 07:30:47 pm »
Not a single "Turf's Zero Edits" in the whole lot. Damn you people.  ;)

I watch The Game Chasers, The Gaming Historian, Pat the NES Punk, Alpha Omega Sin,  Game Sack, and MJR. Those are some you've mentioned.

Some no one's listed yet:

John's Arcade - Dude shows in-depth arcade repair. Lots of information.

Arcade Impossible - kind of like The Game Chasers with Arcade Cabinets

Retro Liberty - It's another "let's find and collect games" channel. It's done well and Aaron and Ricky are really likable.

The Video Game Years - This is my absolute favorite YouTube show. It's done by the RetrowareTV Family that's like I love the 80's but with video games. I love it. 

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 07:45:09 pm »
I'm actually enjoying Luke's videos just being in Japan right now, haven't even gotten to his game stuff yet lol

I also watch Game Chasers along with Pat and AVGN.

One I haven't seen come up yet is LGR (Lazy Game Reviews), who is big into PC related games, especially old ones, and has one of those made for video voices.  Another type of video he does is Oddware which shows off super strange PC hardware items from the past, pointing out real goofy hardware items.  More recently he's started doing thrift shop find videos, using camera glasses, bringing up all the odd junk and game items he finds on his thrift shop hunts which I'm sure will really appeal to the collectors here.

I also watch Super Best Friends/Two Best Friends videos as they do alot of lets play stuff and have a fun gaming podcast.  Of course they are the kind of folks like Jon Tron or Angry Joe in that way of being very personality driven, so if you don't like their style, it's pretty hard to watch them, but thankfully I very much find them funny.  I even made them some Perler Bead pieces based off an animation made for one of their older episodes that got shown off on one of their epic mailbag episodes. http://kamikazekeeg.deviantart.com/art/Super-Best-Friends-Mario-Farce-64-Perler-Bead-Art-434297301

maximo310

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 07:46:13 pm »
Godly Tier:
Classic Game Room with Mark
Critikal
VIDEOGAMEDUNKEY
Fitzthistlewits

Okay Tier:
HyperBitHero (He did a great in-depth review on why TLOU was disappointing)
Matthewmatosis (Good W101 review)

Avoid At All Costs Tier:
Pewdiepie
Anyone forcing out "gaming" videos on youtube just for ad revenue (Angry Joe, Total Biscuit, etc)
IGN reviews
Gamespot reviews
The only reason you need to avoid Gamespot reviews is their Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze review. I couldn't believe what they were saying for how great of a game it was! They seem to have purged a bunch of their reviewers lately, such as Tom McShea.

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 07:57:26 pm »
The only reason you need to avoid Gamespot reviews is their Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze review. I couldn't believe what they were saying for how great of a game it was! They seem to have purged a bunch of their reviewers lately, such as Tom McShea.

Yikes, that was a bad review lol

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2014, 08:31:23 pm »
As for actual TV shows though I absolutely love Game Center CX.

What ever happened to that YouTube Channel? I subbed it and the next thing I know is that it's either deleted or broken because the link doesn't work at all. And now I can't delete it from my sub list!!!

Also, for completion vids I like watching Square One Games's Road to Completion Videos. High quality stuff.

Other channels I watch:

Rurikhan
MFPallytime
EpicNameBro
Zemalf
EpicBattleAxe
MetalJesusRocks
Lord Nod
(in Spanish)
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.