Author Topic: I do like the way this website works!  (Read 3767 times)

I do like the way this website works!
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:16:16 pm »
Very easy to submit and modify entries. All the other sites I messed with were so much of a hassle that I didn't even wanna deal with 'em. At first I thought the database was in serious need of some support, but it's so simple and painless that I actually don't mind helping fill gray areas in the database. This site definitely has my support, and I'll be adding to the database with every purchase I make. Might even invite some friends to try it out!

I do have a couple suggestions though; ever thought about a "Social" section of this forum? Or is "General" filling the spot that a social forum would fill?

...and when I add a new game to the database, it says that it's been added to my collection as well... but I still have to hit add before it shows up. Not sure if that's a bug or not, but It's kinda nice that way, since there's not a 100% guarantee that people adding to the database necessarily mean to add to their collection.

PS: I like the badges system, how many of them are there?

matt

Re: I do like the way this website works!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:57 pm »
@tlrtheory

Thanks for the vote of approval! We are working daily to bulk up the database. Right now we have close to 12,000 items listed but between the users and staff we are adding close to 100 daily. I know it's still kind of a pain in the ass to submit stuff, but we (and our future users) all appreciate it.

I haven't really put much though into the forum layout and just basically dropped in some filler categories for the time being. I'm open to any suggestion and I definitely hope the site grows and supports a strong community. I'd say General will fill that void for now but please offer an other suggestions.

I'll look into automatically adding a game to your collection. I'll probably add this as an option for those who want it at the bottom of the form. I'll let you know when that is added, probably later tonight.

Right now there are badges for our beta users, Android users and for item totals. We are working on a bunch of other ones, some public and some secret.

Also we could use your advice on something. I see that you've added a lot of PSN games. How do you think these should be listed? We have a dedicated PSN category but I'm not sure if both PSP and PS3 title should fall into there. Should they each have their own area (PlayStation Network - PS3, PlayStation Network - PSP)? Just wanted your thought.

Thanks!

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:18:04 pm »
Actually, I think it's fine the way it is. With such inconsistent universality in PSN titles, I think adding any more separation would just create convolution. The way it is now has a sort of balance such that PSN-purchased titles can go into any category by a user's discretion - with there being a PSN section only for exclusive titles that are exclusive to one system and cannot be gained physically (such as Modern Combat Domination).

scott

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:03 am »
I'm thinking we need to keep PSN downloads in a PSN category. This way it separates physical media from digital media. If that means 2 psn categories for PS3 and PSN, so be it.

Listing them within the existing PSP/PS3 category would be  like listing WiiWare or Virtual Console titles within the Wii category. It would become disorganized and cluttered in my opinion.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:48:03 am »
I agree with scott, it would create confusion down the road.  We already have people submitting entries in the wrong categories now.  Unfortunately, we need to make things as idiot-proof as possible.  :)
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:28 pm »
I do have a couple suggestions though; ever thought about a "Social" section of this forum? Or is "General" filling the spot that a social forum would fill?

I'm not quite sure about the official developers of VGC but I have actually thought about developing a solution for the social experience. I'm thinking of a messenger service that will go hand in hand with the Friends List, a shoutbox, and a chat room. Let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions.

matt

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 11:01:03 am »
You'll notice that the main goal of VGC is to create a user-friendly application and thorough game database. All community and social stuff is secondary as this will blur and complicate our goals. The main reason people choose us over other applications is because we have stuck to these goals.

This is not to say that I am against community/social features but I will state that unless demanded, they will always take a backseat to new database or collection features. There are more than enough methods of communication out there, most of which need to be implemented within the site itself. I can say with almost complete certainty say that VGC will never have a chat room or shoutbox.

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:51 am »
I think a shoutbox is a bad idea, too hard to moderate and easy to abuse.  Remember when pcenginefx.com got taken down by their host, mainly because of their shoutbox?   I'd be open to a chatroom, although with the forums, I don't think its necessary.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »
I can say with almost complete certainty say that VGC will never have a chat room or shoutbox.

okay, well that pretty much sums it up. xD It makes sense and I was just tossing some ideas around. Back to other feature ideas for the collection stuff. =)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 01:51:13 pm »
I have another idea that I'm going to be trying out (along the lines of a *solution* to the 'Social' aspect) that we have been discussing...

Look for it shortly (in the form of a new post in the *General* section w/ the word "Social" in the topic's title)...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"