Author Topic: Reading old gaming magazines  (Read 3041 times)

Reading old gaming magazines
« on: September 12, 2014, 01:59:10 pm »
Alright so I think this might be a cool thread to start seeing as I do this all the time.  I come across old video game magazines like game informer, Nintendo power, or even things like dragon magazine from D&D and always see ads for things that I never knew I wanted, or that never came to be!  The other night was leafing through an issue of game informer and found out that castlevania 64 was supposed to also be a release title for the dreamcast...  So whenever you find something interesting in an old magazine I figured it would be cool to post it here.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Reading old gaming magazines
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 02:06:46 pm »
I do it all the time. I seem to be the only one interested in classic magazines on the forum, though.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 02:40:15 pm »
I do it all the time. I seem to be the only one interested in classic magazines on the forum, though.

I have a massive Nintendo Power collection.  I love thumbing through them.

maximo310

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 02:40:39 pm »
Well, I'd be interested to pick some of those magazines up sometimes, although I haven't found much of those in the wild. I'd still like to hear about those interesting pieces of info that existed in those magazines though.

mrnikon

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 02:46:10 pm »
I still have my old Nintendo Powers from Volume 19 (December 1990) to Volume 100 (January 1 1997) Including the players guides. I still go through them from time to time. There were so many games I wanted in there, but never got, until now.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 02:53:57 pm »
I have every issue of Gamepro from 1995 to 2003 (missing one issue in between) and almost every Nintendo Power from 1996 to 2002. I love thumbing through them and seeing games being talked about that either never came out or changed so much prior to their actual release. It is also nice seeing reviews for the games that aren't tainted by nostalgia since the games were modern at the time the issue was being published. Maybe even more than the games themselves, reading about them in these old magazines really makes me appreciate how amazing the game industry used to be.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:01:17 pm by bikingjahuty »

mrnikon

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 03:00:55 pm »
I also remember getting the promo videos on VHS for games that were coming out, for being a subscriber to Nintendo Power. That are all still at my parents house somewhere. One is what made me ask for Donkey Kong Country and the SNES to play it.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 03:41:52 pm »
VideoGames: The Ultimate Magazine is one of the best classic gaming magazines from the 90s. So packed full of industry insider stuff, reviews, and previews. And they covered like EVERY system back then, not just the Sega, Nintendo, Atari stuff.

I also just recently added some cool ads from a 2003 issue of Electronics Gaming Monthly to the General/Anonymous thread.

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1942.3465.html

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 03:47:59 pm by burningdoom »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 03:53:13 pm »
I like VideoGames: The Ultimate Video Games, except for this article. They had the gaul to give Maximum Carnage a 4 out of 10! That was one of the coolest 16-bit beat-em ups ever made!

maximo310

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 04:49:57 pm »
I like VideoGames: The Ultimate Video Games, except for this article. They had the gaul to give Maximum Carnage a 4 out of 10! That was one of the coolest 16-bit beat-em ups ever made!

As AVGN puts it: " They made a game that's not shit!"

davifus

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:09:05 pm »
I wished I own some
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 06:00:55 pm »
Alright so I think this might be a cool thread to start seeing as I do this all the time.  I come across old video game magazines like game informer, Nintendo power, or even things like dragon magazine from D&D and always see ads for things that I never knew I wanted, or that never came to be!  The other night was leafing through an issue of game informer and found out that castlevania 64 was supposed to also be a release title for the dreamcast...  So whenever you find something interesting in an old magazine I figured it would be cool to post it here.

Far from it. I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy who has a full run of both versions of Incite Gaming here. I also have a few other random magazines from other countries, I just never added them. Most of my books are in storage, so listing them isn't easy. :p

I also follow a couple of vintage game magazine and ad Tumblr feeds.

http://oldgamemags.tumblr.com/
http://crazyarcadeflyers.tumblr.com/

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:53:49 pm »
I still buy Retro Gamer (U.K.) every month, as well as the occassional issue of EGM. And I have a subscription to the bi-monthly Retro Magazine (U.S.).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 10:01:48 pm »
I still buy Retro Gamer (U.K.) every month, as well as the occassional issue of EGM. And I have a subscription to the bi-monthly Retro Magazine (U.S.).

How many Retro magazines have you gotten?  I haven't gotten one since issue 3

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 10:07:04 pm »

How many Retro magazines have you gotten?  I haven't gotten one since issue 3

Same here.