Author Topic: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.  (Read 8018 times)

retroone

Re: True Exclusives -- Games that only appeared on one platform, EVER.
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 07:40:13 pm »
Does K.C Munchkin count?
Also there is Journey to Silius and Gimmick for NES

KC would count.

But Journey to Silius and Gimmick... were re-released on the PS1!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Series

Silius is on Volume 5 (with Hebereke / Uforia!) and Gimmick is on 6.

According to MobyGames, K.C. Munchkin appeared on three platforms:  Munchkin at MobyGames

Which quickly answers a question I'd had for a while if the Odyssey2 was an entirely exclusive library.  I guess know the answer to that now. 

I'd never heard of Journey to Silius.  That game looks cool.  According to Wikipedia, the audio was programmed differently from the majority of NES games, so it supposedly sounds very different.  I want to hear that.
Journey to Silius has the best music on the NES in my opinion.

retroone

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »
Any LJN game.

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2014, 09:26:03 am »
Any LJN game.

Wasn't LJN an offshoot of Acclaim, same as Ultra was an offshoot of Konami, so that these publishers could sneak around the "games per year" limit Nintendo forced on the NES?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2014, 09:43:39 am »
Any LJN game.

Wasn't LJN an offshoot of Acclaim, same as Ultra was an offshoot of Konami, so that these publishers could sneak around the "games per year" limit Nintendo forced on the NES?

Yup.  It seems Nintendo wasn't the only one doing shady stuff in those days.

foxhack

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2014, 11:46:22 am »
Any LJN game.

Nope! Some of those were multi platform games. And one (T2: Arcade SNES) was an arcade port too. :D Only some games would fit, like X-Men or Roger Rabbit on the NES.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2014, 02:23:37 pm »
Any LJN game.

From what I read, they had no choice with Nintendo's draconian license policies. They couldn't make enough games to meet sales expectations because they were limited on how many games they were able to release in a year. And most of the time they weren't allowed to make ports to other consoles. So they made dummy corporations (like LJN & Ultra) to get around that.

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2014, 04:53:09 pm »
Any LJN game.

From what I read, they had no choice with Nintendo's draconian license policies. They couldn't make enough games to meet sales expectations because they were limited on how many games they were able to release in a year. And most of the time they weren't allowed to make ports to other consoles. So they made dummy corporations (like LJN & Ultra) to get around that.

I recognized these dummy corporations/corporate off-shoots when I was a skid because Acclaim and LJN had some fairly obvious links, and the Konami and Ultra brands shared everything from franchises to packaging designs and aesthetics.  For instance, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games were both published under the Ultra and Konami branding.

When I was a kid, however, I didn't understand why these companies had these offshoots. It wasn't until I was an adult and learned of the crude contracts Nintendo used that they made sense.

retroone

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2014, 03:35:30 pm »
Any LJN game.

Nope! Some of those were multi platform games. And one (T2: Arcade SNES) was an arcade port too. :D Only some games would fit, like X-Men or Roger Rabbit on the NES.
Dangit! Thats the 3rd time in this forum I've been proven wrong.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2014, 03:51:56 pm »
Any LJN game.

So you're averaging about 1 for every 20 posts or so, eh?

*yikes*!  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2014, 11:25:00 am »
Any LJN game.

That one can admit being mistaken about something on the internet is like a super-power these days.

argyle

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2014, 11:40:51 am »
Any LJN game.

That one can admit being mistaken about something on the internet is like a super-power these days.

I suppose that's true, but since I'm never wrong I can't say for sure. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »
The Jet Moto series on PS1.  It would be pretty cool to see a remake of this with next-gen graphics.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2014, 03:00:59 pm »
The Jet Moto series on PS1.  It would be pretty cool to see a remake of this with next-gen graphics.

A remake of that would be cool.

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2014, 11:45:37 am »

They've been ported and released on multiple platforms, including PS3, Vita, and PC.  So they're not true exclusives.  They've appeared elsewhere over the years.  Aside from an early Windows release, they're exclusive to Sony, but they aren't what this thread is looking for. 

Had Jet Moto literally only ever been released on the PS1, and no other platform, ever, and even unlikely then to appear anywhere else, then it'd be a true exclusive, pertaining to the thread.

retroone

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2014, 07:45:46 pm »
Aside for DuckTales what about the Disney NES Capcom games? Some of them had GameBoy releases but I don't think the gameplay was the same