Author Topic: Loot Crate?  (Read 3524 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Loot Crate?
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:48:00 pm »
Does anyone subscribe to Loot Crate?  It seems pretty awesome, but I'd end up with even more useless shit. I really want to sign up.

Do you like it?  Is it dumb?  What do you think?

Re: Loot Crate?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:14:04 pm »
It's certainly noble, but I'd rather spend my money on collectibles that I know I'd like. Subscribing to a general "lol so geeky" thing just ain't me, at least not right now. Like, I wouldn't be caught dead with anything from Attack on Titan, and I don't care for Game of Thrones, and they've made entire crates dedicated to them. The value of the items is quite good, though.

tl;dr: seems cool, but to recite your point, I'd end up with a LOT of useless shit.

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:17:49 pm »
I've avoided it so far because I've watched a few unboxings, and there has been pretty much nothing that I've wanted.  But they always manage to make me want to try it.  The one for December does look awfully enticing, so I'm trying to figure out if I want to bite just for that month.

But there are many unboxing videos out there. I'd watch a few and see what you think.  But like exo said, there are often themes that I have no interest in whatsoever, and it'd just be more crap lying around (and I'd rather have crap that I selected myself over stuff that a conveyor belt gave me).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:11 pm »
I'll tell you the draw for me. It's that Secret Santa feeling. You get a freakin present every month even if I'm paying for it. What's the suprise going to be? 

On the other hand, I don't need more junk.

hexen

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:02:52 pm »
I really liked the idea of the Loot Crate as well... but like people have said here, the range of items is pretty wide and a lot of it was stuff I wouldn't care about. However, there is a similar service called Nerd Block that was originally the same but... then they introduced the Arcade Block. It's a random box, but it only includes video game themed items. This was enough to make me try it. It's pretty new, so there isn't a whole lot of reference, but the first couple where pretty good.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

devancowan

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 09:25:39 pm »
I'll tell you the draw for me. It's that Secret Santa feeling. You get a freakin present every month even if I'm paying for it. What's the suprise going to be? 

On the other hand, I don't need more junk.

Iv been wanting to try this as well but just from watching videos it doesn't look like its worth it. The stuff would just end up sitting around my house.

abe

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 09:37:00 pm »
I really liked the idea of the Loot Crate as well... but like people have said here, the range of items is pretty wide and a lot of it was stuff I wouldn't care about. However, there is a similar service called Nerd Block that was originally the same but... then they introduced the Arcade Block. It's a random box, but it only includes video game themed items. This was enough to make me try it. It's pretty new, so there isn't a whole lot of reference, but the first couple where pretty good.

That Arcade Block thing almost seemed cool, then I scrolled down the page and saw that they could come with those ugly Funko Pop things. Eeeew. Also, I'm not a fan of the haha we're nerds lol sort of vibe I was getting from the site.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 10:15:35 pm »
I actually have both Lootcrate and Arcade Block. Lootcrate sucks one month and then is awesome the next. I keep telling myself to drop it, but then I see a teaser for the next month and I just have to stay. Arcade Block gives you a guaranteed T-shirt each month which I do like, plus the crate is all gaming related stuff. Check out some unboxings on youtube and see if its the kind of stuff you'd be interested.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 11:28:47 pm »
Nerd block looks like a waste of money to me.

I was going to say the same about arcade block but then I saw an unboxing with an Awesome Laura Croft figure.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 12:20:35 am »
I started looking at Nerd Block Jr. for the boy. That might be fun for him.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:13:53 am »
Have you guys heard of IndieBox? They create collector's editions for indie games that are typically download-only. That's the one I'd like to try.  I was going to give it a go a couple months back when they did one for Brutal Legend (not indie I know, I think they did that semi-high profile game to draw attention) but I found out about it the last day you could sign up & get it, and long story short - I forgot about it until the next day.  :-\

https://www.theindiebox.com/
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

abe

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 10:22:02 am »
Have you guys heard of IndieBox? They create collector's editions for indie games that are typically download-only. That's the one I'd like to try.  I was going to give it a go a couple months back when they did one for Brutal Legend (not indie I know, I think they did that semi-high profile game to draw attention) but I found out about it the last day you could sign up & get it, and long story short - I forgot about it until the next day.  :-\

That's actually pretty cool. I like that you can buy the past boxes if you missed one you really wanted.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

soera

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 10:24:22 am »
Ive looked at a few of these and they seem cool. Just not sure I want to spend money on something I may actually not want.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 01:15:53 pm »

That's actually pretty cool. I like that you can buy the past boxes if you missed one you really wanted.

Their Escape Goat 2 box looks pretty cool.

I interviewed the creator of Escape Goat 2 last year and cut a video of Danimal Cannon playing "Beat It" using a Game Boys sound to replace the vocals.

Both are pretty cool individuals.

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 01:18:38 pm »
I WANT THAT ESCAPE GOAT 2 BOX. ;_; But broke. So broke. ;_;