Author Topic: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?  (Read 12709 times)

Re: Did you ever have "that moment" when you were ashamed to be a gamer?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 07:55:40 am »

On launch night for PS4. I had a friend ask me if I wanted to go to Best Buy early and wait in line all day... And I was like I guess(i wasnt working) and he was like cool, you wait in line for me(he was buying a ps4) and ill come along in the evening time and join you... And I was like woo woo wait... Aren't you gonna be out there with me? He was like naw man, I am gonna go to Disneyland with my girlfriend, but don't worry, Ill join you in the evening... And i was like hell no, I am not gonna wait in line all day for you. Just so you can buy a ps4. If you want it that bad, you will go wait in line and ill join you.

I told him, but if you really want me to wait in line all day while you at Dland... Cool. you buy me a ps4 too and ill do it... He said no haha

LOL Great story :D

soera

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 01:44:40 pm »
Lol thats a funny friend. I would have given him the finger.

azure

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2015, 08:15:57 am »
Nothing too big for me, just when I buy a game just to have it or buy multiple ports of the same game xD

foxhack

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2015, 06:05:09 pm »
I just had to remove a post because... I. Said. NO. VOLDEMORTGATE. DISCUSSION.

I DO NOT WANT THIS FORUM TO GET FLOODED WITH THAT CRAP. TAKE THIS DISCUSSION ELSEWHERE. WE DO NOT WANT IT HERE. END OF STORY.

maximo310

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:35 pm »
I've had a few instances where people have looked down at the fact that I play games, but its mostly from family members.  It's pretty disconcerting to hear on a regular basis that this hobby is a waste of time  and that I spend too much time gaming from my parents, and older family members despite the fact that they use electronics on a much longer and regular basis and dump way larger sums of money on things like shoes, etc.. Thankfully, my brother and family members around my age are pretty accepting of my hobbies, as well as most of my friends. I know that gaming and collecting is a core part of who I am and I refuse to let other people try to take that satisfaction from me, or try to stop me from introducing it to other people.

kashell

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 08:42:32 am »
I've had a few instances where people have looked down at the fact that I play games, but its mostly from family members.  It's pretty disconcerting to hear on a regular basis that this hobby is a waste of time  and that I spend too much time gaming from my parents, and older family members despite the fact that they use electronics on a much longer and regular basis and dump way larger sums of money on things like shoes, etc.. Thankfully, my brother and family members around my age are pretty accepting of my hobbies, as well as most of my friends. I know that gaming and collecting is a core part of who I am and I refuse to let other people try to take that satisfaction from me, or try to stop me from introducing it to other people.

Hey now. I love shoes. I bought a couple of pairs last weekend. Shoes and watches are my fashion vices. A good pair of shoes coupled with a fabulous watch makes me feel dandy and pulls my outfits together. ^^

Gaming in a new pair of shoes and with a stunning watch on your left wrist? That usually leads to a good day.

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 01:45:22 pm »
That moment when you realize that you've been arguing with someone 20 years younger than you are about video games :-[.  Reading youtube comments sometimes makes me feel ashamed when they get out of control, but it all pales in comparison to the arguments people get into over politics, so that makes me feel better.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 01:55:01 pm »
That moment when you realize that you've been arguing with someone 20 years younger than you are about video games :-[.  Reading youtube comments sometimes makes me feel ashamed when they get out of control, but it all pales in comparison to the arguments people get into over politics, so that makes me feel better.

YouTube is just chock full of trolls that do nothing but stir up trouble in the comments section. It's hard not to get into an argument with one of them if you are doing the commenting thing on YouTube.

If you watch YouTube reviewers, some of the AVGN fans can be the worst. They troll other reviewers and just talk about how they're all AVGN wannabes and suck. I see that everywhere. Or another one, some rap fan will trolls metal videos just to talk about how much metal sucks. Don't these people have better things to do in their free time?

amauriel

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2015, 02:43:20 pm »
When I was in High School, I was often embarrassed about being a gamer. Between being a girl gamer, wearing glasses, having braces, and being involved in just the nerdier clubs, I was a target for bullies, and this was long before zero-tolerance was a thing.

I got into college and found out there were others like me, although there were still only two women in most of my Computer Science classes, and I was the only female to graduate with that degree the year I walked in my cap and gown. Still, the guys were way cool about accepting a woman to game nights and other nerdy events. I started to gain a bit of confidence and allowed myself to admit that I wanted people to know I was a gamer.

When I met my husband (Ronalopolis, if he'd ever post), things changed dramatically. He loved me, not despite my interests, but partially because of them. If I have someone who loves me, I thought, that's all that matters, and I'll always have that. I became ME.

Now, I have no qualms about telling the lady at the register that I don't need a gift receipt because that toy is for me, not some niece or nephew. The Toys 'R Us employees know me by name and give me dirt on the Skylander releases. My co-workers see me playing my 3DS on my lunch break, and they treat it just as if I were reading a book like so many of them do.

Yes, I get those "waste of your life" comments here and there, but responding with "Yeah, but I don't have cable and how much time do you spend watching reality television?" usually shuts those nay-sayers right up.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

maximo310

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »

Hey now. I love shoes. I bought a couple of pairs last weekend. Shoes and watches are my fashion vices. A good pair of shoes coupled with a fabulous watch makes me feel dandy and pulls my outfits together. ^^

Gaming in a new pair of shoes and with a stunning watch on your left wrist? That usually leads to a good day.
Oh don't worry shoes are cool. But I just hate looking into the shoe closet and seeing like 100+ pairs of shoes just sitting there, and they're mostly heels so they go unused. Speaking of which, I really do need a new pair soon, so I'd better get crackin since finding stuff for my foot size(15) can be a bit hard.

desocietas

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2015, 03:56:34 pm »
When I was in High School, I was often embarrassed about being a gamer. Between being a girl gamer, wearing glasses, having braces, and being involved in just the nerdier clubs, I was a target for bullies, and this was long before zero-tolerance was a thing.

I got into college and found out there were others like me, although there were still only two women in most of my Computer Science classes, and I was the only female to graduate with that degree the year I walked in my cap and gown. Still, the guys were way cool about accepting a woman to game nights and other nerdy events. I started to gain a bit of confidence and allowed myself to admit that I wanted people to know I was a gamer.

When I met my husband (Ronalopolis, if he'd ever post), things changed dramatically. He loved me, not despite my interests, but partially because of them. If I have someone who loves me, I thought, that's all that matters, and I'll always have that. I became ME.

Now, I have no qualms about telling the lady at the register that I don't need a gift receipt because that toy is for me, not some niece or nephew. The Toys 'R Us employees know me by name and give me dirt on the Skylander releases. My co-workers see me playing my 3DS on my lunch break, and they treat it just as if I were reading a book like so many of them do.

Yes, I get those "waste of your life" comments here and there, but responding with "Yeah, but I don't have cable and how much time do you spend watching reality television?" usually shuts those nay-sayers right up.

*claps*

Yeah, I'm proud of being a girl who games.  I'm happy with who I am, the people in my lives, and I know that gaming is a big part of who I am and who is in my life.

Who can really fault us for doing things that make us happy, laugh, and remember that there is fun to be had in life?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2015, 02:04:29 am »
I owe 90% of my Sega Genesis collection to my wife. :)

I was a Nintendo boy she was a Sega girl. Can I make it anymore obvious?

amauriel

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2015, 08:39:09 am »
We're the opposite. I was a Nintendo girl and he was a Sega boy.

Just before we got married, he went to a garage sale and got 9 Intellivisions (we took parts from 4 to make the other 5 work, but it did snag us a working Intellivision 1, 2, and 3), an Odyssey, a TurboGrafx 16, and a van-load full of games for them for $50 from a guy, after his wife was just sick of his gaming and told him it had to be out by the end of the day.

I remember my husband saying that he knew that would never happen to us, and that made him love me even more, especially after the two days we spent geeking out over all the games we'd scored.

The couple who games together stays together!
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

indenton

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2015, 11:05:42 am »
I remember my husband saying that he knew that would never happen to us, and that made him love me even more, especially after the two days we spent geeking out over all the games we'd scored.

Aaawww, that's so sweet.  Perhaps one day I shall find someone  ;)

I like how these posts have taken a turn for the best, considering the original subject.  No at all, we've never been ashamed

gf78

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2015, 11:53:26 am »

Aaawww, that's so sweet.  Perhaps one day I shall find someone  ;)

I like how these posts have taken a turn for the best, considering the original subject.  No at all, we've never been ashamed

I think it's great to be a gamer and I'm not ashamed that I play and collect games.  I think things have skewed a bit from my original post.  It was a story about a steaming pile of human waste making gamers everywhere look bad.  A face-palm moment if you will. 

In any event, happy that this thread made people feel good about their hobby. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us