Author Topic: Nintendo Characters Leaving Nintendo Hardware!  (Read 2501 times)

Nintendo Characters Leaving Nintendo Hardware!
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:50:28 am »
I never expected this to happen, but the way they are doing it, does make sense.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-and-dena-enter-into-licensing-agreement-for-mobile-development-289157.phtml

Essentially, this company, DeNA will create an online service that will host games based on Nintendo characters.  No ports or anything, just new games that are designed to function for the mobile market, so I assume games like Pokemon Shuffle and such.  This is certainly a way where they can put Nintendo onto mobile, without hurting their hardware business.

Wow, I just re-read part of it and realized this service is not just mobile related, but will show up on Nintendo systems and PC.  Nintendo games on the PC! Crazy!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:55:34 am by kamikazekeeg »

Re: Nintendo Characters Leaving Nintendo Hardware!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 06:03:32 am »
It seems like I read an article a while back that mentioned Nintendo might start making games for tablets/mobile phones, but this is certainly different from what I imagined.  :o

I'm not so sure about developing what would be 1st party titles 'outside' of Nintendo, however... that seems like it could potentially flub up big time.  :-\

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 06:07:05 am »
It seems like I read an article a while back that mentioned Nintendo might start making games for tablets/mobile phones, but this is certainly different from what I imagined.  :o

I'm not so sure about developing what would be 1st party titles 'outside' of Nintendo, however... that seems like it could potentially flub up big time.  :-\

I actually see it flourishing if the games are at least good.  If anything, it should be big in Japan.  The console market over there isn't doing so hot, with the mobile market crushing everything, so Nintendo finding a way that gets their games onto phones, without really hurting their own hardware, is smart.  These kinds of games I imagine won't be very expensive to do, in comparison to say 3DS titles, so even a failure here wouldn't be very damaging.

It also doesn't sound like they are just GIVING 1st party characters to this company, but that it will be a joint venture between.  Nintendo's game development experience with DeNA's mobile market knowledge.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:57:39 am »
There's had been mumbling of mobile games or apps for a few years now. This is going to be interesting to see were this goes. Is it going to be ports of 8-16 bit classics? Is it going to be new mobile game series? I only hope it's not going to full 3DS type games because that could potentially mark their exit from the traditional handheld market.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:54:46 am »
There's had been mumbling of mobile games or apps for a few years now. This is going to be interesting to see were this goes. Is it going to be ports of 8-16 bit classics? Is it going to be new mobile game series? I only hope it's not going to full 3DS type games because that could potentially mark their exit from the traditional handheld market.

The article said that this same service will be used on smartphones, 3DS, tablets, etc. So hey, maybe you've got something there; if games can work on a tablet, and sell just as well, why waste money making a system that you don't really get much profit off of? Technologically, however, it sounds like they won't be quite that 'powerful.'

But... idk. It's kind of like ebooks; sure, they're out there, but a lot of people still prefer to buy paperbacks. I'm not so sure that Nintendo would completely abandon the idea of creating physical handheld systems... at least, not without creating their own line of gaming tablets or something.

Looks like we may have a topic of discussion for this week's podcasts?  ;D

gf78

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 09:03:26 am »

I can tell you what this is going to be.  Ever play Rayman Fiesta Run, Temple Run or any other "infinite runner?"  I guarantee we will see a Mario infinite runner really soon.  And that won't be a bad thing.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 09:04:33 am »

I can tell you what this is going to be.  Ever play Rayman Fiesta Run, Temple Run or any other "infinite runner?"  I guarantee we will see a Mario infinite runner really soon.  And that won't be a bad thing.

Hope my phone doesn't get flagged by Nintendo for letting my friend watch me play over-the-shoulder.  8) ::)

tripredacus

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 10:28:14 am »
The games DeNa currently offer (two of them are Transformers games) fit into the pay to win scenario of including mini-transactions. Those types of games where you can play for free, but then also can pay real money for stuff to be better. I'm not going to say that this is what Nintendo has planned, to bring out those types of games to mobile, but don't be surprised if they do.

gf78

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 10:58:10 am »
The games DeNa currently offer (two of them are Transformers games) fit into the pay to win scenario of including mini-transactions. Those types of games where you can play for free, but then also can pay real money for stuff to be better. I'm not going to say that this is what Nintendo has planned, to bring out those types of games to mobile, but don't be surprised if they do.

I'm hopeful that the games they release are one-time purchases.  I would pay three bucks for a Mario infinite running game or a tilt-controlled Mario Kart.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

retroone

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:00 pm »
Who know's they might just end up making games like Pokemon Shuffle.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 01:38:44 pm »
Mario Teaches Typing was on PC!  The article implies that they are doing this to get "non-tendo" people hooked on their games, and their ultimate goal is to get them to buy a Wii U or 3DS.

Re: Nintendo Characters Leaving Nintendo Hardware! New Hardware Teased.
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 02:19:02 pm »
Apparently there's also information that Iwata gave out to reassure people they aren't dropping their usual gaming for mobile, teasing something codenamed the Nintendo NX.  A new piece of hardware set to be announced next year.  I know it's likely to be that Nintendo will have a shorter lifespan with the Wii U, but I'm curious if it'll be an addon or if they are starting to prepare for the new console.

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-teases-new-nx-hardware-289161.phtml

The Gamecube only had about 5 years, the Wii just abit more than that. If they tease it next year for a 2017 release, that would make it a 5 year cycle like the Gamecube.

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 02:36:01 pm »
Apparently there's also information that Iwata gave out to reassure people they aren't dropping their usual gaming for mobile, teasing something codenamed the Nintendo NX.  A new piece of hardware set to be announced next year.  I know it's likely to be that Nintendo will have a shorter lifespan with the Wii U, but I'm curious if it'll be an addon or if they are starting to prepare for the new console.

The Gamecube only had about 5 years, the Wii just abit more than that. If they tease it next year for a 2017 release, that would make it a 5 year cycle like the Gamecube.
What ever happened to their "cheap console for emerging markets"?  Remember that? 

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/182105-nintendo-is-making-a-new-cheap-console-specifically-for-emerging-markets

gf78

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 03:06:59 pm »

I read elsewhere that Iwata stated nothing will be shown of their new console until 2016.  So a release in 2017 seems very likely.  That gives the Wii U the normal five years that Nintendo affords their systems before releasing a newer one. 

gf78

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 03:08:33 pm »

What ever happened to their "cheap console for emerging markets"?  Remember that? 

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/182105-nintendo-is-making-a-new-cheap-console-specifically-for-emerging-markets

It never materialized.  Perhaps it's still on the back burner.  They may be planning to modify the Wii U to a console without the tablet controller and sell that over there.