Author Topic: Games that beat YOU!  (Read 4997 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Games that beat YOU!
« on: August 12, 2015, 11:42:59 pm »
Many of us like to talk about the games we've beaten.

But what about the games that beat you?

It could be anything from Nintendo hard and you just gave up, to a game breaking glitch that ended your reign. Heck we'll even count lost, deleted, corrupted saves that screwed your game over so bad you just said "to hell with it!" and never went back.

C'mon vgcollectors. Spill. What's games have beaten you!?

pacpix

Re: Games that beat YOU!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 01:22:55 am »
One game instantly came to mind for me.

Ghostbusters II (NES): Being as it was one of the earliest games I purchased for my NES, I played this a ton and perfected all of the stages up until the Statue of Liberty section.  I usually had enough lives stocked to barely make it through that section and then would instantly die on the last level every single time.  Couple that with the fact that there is no pause button and I eventually gave up on the game after a week or so of constantly playing.  I have not played that game since then and have no desire to.

Wizardry 1 almost beat me when I died at the final boss in one round due to an extremely unlucky random event.  I had spent months creating parties, hand drawing dungeon maps, taking every permadeath loss no matter how unfair, and then it all ended with a cheap shot.  I planned on never playing again, but when I woke up the next day I was so pissed that I leveled a new party all day and beat the game ha. Now I'm a wimp and play with save states :P (Wiz IV not included).
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

dondetti

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 03:56:39 am »
I really love Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, but I could never finish it more than once. And in the fine G'nG tradition that means you didn't actually finished it if you did not play through it twice.

When I rebought it recently I could not even get past the third stage. I don't even think I'm that bad as a gamer, I get along with the tougher platformers on the SNES just fine. But this game is crazy hard, even on easy!
I can you only chance
You need spell your soul
To the horrid spooky devil
That's a voyage to Hell

Games: https://vgcollect.com/dondetti
Music: https://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/parabellum

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:46:19 am »
There were a lot of those old NES games that I could never beat.  I remember Battletoads being nuts, Ghouls N' Ghosts being tough, there was kind of a bunch cause some of those old games were just stupid hard lol

More recently Dragon Balll Xenoverse almost beat me cause it was gonna get to the point I was gonna have to grind for 5 to 10 hours to try and overpower the story mode, but thankfully I realized I could just cheese out the enemies by going Super Saiyan 2 and spamming a powerful area attack blast that allowed me to take out large chunks of health with each blast.  I hate having to beat a game like that, but when they force me to grind on their annoying side missions with annoying AI and annoying combat, I'm gonna take the path of least resistant and rely on the cheapest move I can find lol

gf78

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:34 am »
Section Z for the NES.  No matter how long or hard I tried, I never could get very far.

Ghosts & Goblins, Ghouls & Ghosts and any other game in that series.  Hellaciously hard stuff.  I remember playing the first NES release and getting killed about 20 times by Firebrand in the first level!   >:(

Demon's Souls.  I got super pissed at this game early on and just quit it altogether.  F this game!

X-Men by LJN on the NES.  Just gotta love how your mutant powers "run out" after two pew-pew shots.  The characters look like melted gumdrops sloshing around and the game was a physical manifestation of hell sent to torture younglings who loved the comics.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:48:03 am »
Ninja Gaiden Sigma series

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:53:39 am »
I've got quite a few that just suck and I don't play them.  I do have a shitload of NES games, after all.  That said, there are a few good games that have me beat down.

I still can't beat Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
I've been playing the game for nearly 30 years.  I love it.  It's one of my favorites, but I've never beat Iron Mike.

gf78

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 10:10:19 am »
I've got quite a few that just suck and I don't play them.  I do have a shitload of NES games, after all.  That said, there are a few good games that have me beat down.

I still can't beat Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
I've been playing the game for nearly 30 years.  I love it.  It's one of my favorites, but I've never beat Iron Mike.

LOL...tried to play this not long ago and Glass Joe made me his bitch.  I beat it back in the day tho.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:15:53 am »
red dead revolver, I tried so hard to beat it, but never did.... Finally mission and everything too.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

abe

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 10:39:51 am »
The original Assassin's Creed on the PS3 beat me with boredom. Never finished it and likely never will.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 10:56:17 am »
The original Assassin's Creed on the PS3 beat me with boredom. Never finished it and likely never will.
I gotta agree with this one, the first one was so repetitive. I remember mid game, I stopped playing. The only reason I went back to beat it was cause AC2 was announced and decided to go back and beat it. That was such a grind.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 11:02:17 am »
Demon's Souls.  I got super pissed at this game early on and just quit it altogether.  F this game!

One of the greatest games ever made !!! Give it a second chance ;D
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

aliensstudios

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:35:39 am »
Mega Man and Bass is one of the most arbitrarily difficult games I've ever played, to the point where I wanted to throw my Game Boy out the window.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

rayne315

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 12:11:55 pm »
Bubsy 3d remains to this day the only game i have ever returned for my money back. Whats worse about it was it was so un-memorable to me that i cannot remember anything about it without looking up images or videos about it. I think I only played it about 10-20 mins.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

abe

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 01:17:17 pm »
I gotta agree with this one, the first one was so repetitive. I remember mid game, I stopped playing. The only reason I went back to beat it was cause AC2 was announced and decided to go back and beat it. That was such a grind.
It's a shame it had to be that way, since I was having fun with it for what was probably around the first half of the game. Eventually, it just stopped being fun and I gave up.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)