Author Topic: 3DS Must Play Games!  (Read 3834 times)

Re: 3DS Must Play Games!
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 03:31:17 pm »
I'm going to counter the idea that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is worth getting.  I think it's actually a pretty bad port that they did very little with to actually accommodate being on the 3DS hardware.  It plays, but it does nothing well.
Yeah the Wii version is better graphically, but for a port to a handheld system it is pretty decent. I do happen to own both, and i think for it being portable it's fine. :P

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 03:37:02 pm »
Yeah the Wii version is better graphically, but for a port to a handheld system it is pretty decent. I do happen to own both, and i think for it being portable it's fine. :P

I would say "decent" is being generous for such a bare bones port that mostly functions, but this thread isn't about ragging on Xenoblade, so we'll just move on lol

davifus

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 06:33:21 pm »
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- LoZ: Link between worlds
- Fire Emblem: Awakening
- MH4
- Professor Layton
- BoxBoy
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

patrickpower

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 08:22:27 pm »
Kid Icarus: Uprising
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby
Ocarina of Time 3D
Super Mario 3D Land

devancowan

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 08:59:29 am »
I would say Fantasy Life & Bravely Default are both must plays on the 3DS  :)

indenton

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2015, 10:18:44 pm »
I'm going to counter the idea that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is worth getting.  I think it's actually a pretty bad port that they did very little with to actually accommodate being on the 3DS hardware.  It plays, but it does nothing well.

From the point of view of someone who didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, I strongly beg to differ.  Especially considering how hard the original game is to come by in the UK, it's practically retail price and beyond

maximo310

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2015, 11:00:30 pm »

From the point of view of someone who didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, I strongly beg to differ.  Especially considering how hard the original game is to come by in the UK, it's practically retail price and beyond
If price is a major concern, I believe the European Eshop release for the Wii U is about 20 euros/18 british pounds. It's not a physical copy, but its a cheaper legal option than paying $60+ for the game, plus it is the defenitive version of the game.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2015, 11:11:48 pm »

From that point of view, it's a slight thing to consider, I didn't play it on the Wii either, but it's still a bad port.  Price wise, looking at it in the US and the UK on Ebay, to get it on the Wii used, is only slightly more than buying 3DS new.  I would probably say just get the Wii version then.  Portability is nice, but so many sacrifices were made and little was done to make it 3DS functional, especially New 3DS functional.

indenton

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2015, 11:37:21 pm »

From that point of view, it's a slight thing to consider, I didn't play it on the Wii either, but it's still a bad port.  Price wise, looking at it in the US and the UK on Ebay, to get it on the Wii used, is only slightly more than buying 3DS new.  I would probably say just get the Wii version then.  Portability is nice, but so many sacrifices were made and little was done to make it 3DS functional, especially New 3DS functional.

I don't know where you're looking for price comparison, but that's not the case on my end, with either eBay & Amazon UK

I found the original Xenoblade Chronicles in-store a few days ago, which as I already knew, no GC controller support.  How about the classic controller, which I don't own and don't plan on buying anytime soon.  As far as I've heard, the graphics in the Wii version were nothing to boast about to begin with.  Was that really what made Xenoblade Chronicles all that great. DEH GREFIKS!? A beloved RPG, on the go.  You fail to see the simple benefit of the game being on a handheld system here, for me that's how I like my RPGs.  I'm not trying to prove the n3ds port as superior, but that it's still very much enjoyable nonetheless.  There are certianly worse ports out there, You want a bad 3DS port?  Go out and buy Rayman 3D

So how about that Bravely Defunct, I've heard great stories about that man
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 11:43:33 pm by indenton »

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:44 pm »

I don't know where you're looking for price comparison, but that's not the case on my end, with either eBay & Amazon UK

I found the original Xenoblade Chronicles in-store a few days ago, which as I already knew, no GC controller support.  How about the classic controller, which I don't own and don't plan on buying anytime soon.  As far as I've heard, the graphics in the Wii version were nothing to boast about to begin with.  Was that really what made Xenoblade Chronicles all that great. DEH GREFIKS!? A beloved RPG, on the go.  You fail to see the simple benefit of the game being on a handheld system here, for me that's how I like my RPGs.  I'm not trying to prove the n3ds port as superior, but that it's still very much enjoyable nonetheless.  There are certianly worse ports out there, You want a bad 3DS port?  Go out and buy Rayman 3D

If you don't care about ugly textures, bad framerate, and no real 3DS functionality, and purely want it cause you play it on the go, that's fine.  For those that can't look past the problems the game has, it's not a good port, which is a shame because I was interested in playing it because I didn't play it on the Wii.  It was just one of my big disappointments of the year and this is a year that had Arkham Knight in it lol

indenton

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 12:24:03 am »

If you don't care about ugly textures, bad framerate, and no real 3DS functionality, and purely want it cause you play it on the go, that's fine.  For those that can't look past the problems the game has, it's not a good port, which is a shame because I was interested in playing it because I didn't play it on the Wii.  It was just one of my big disappointments of the year and this is a year that had Arkham Knight in it lol

Okay, hold your horses, those horses need to be held.  Besides the graphical downgrade, I haven' noticed nor heard about these other issues.  Like I said, I haven't gotten too far into the game, if something does come to my attention I'll get back to you.  You know all that other stuff in the game, atmosphere, visuals, music, characters, gameplay, all the things that made Xenoblade Chronicles great?  That's very much still intact in the New 3DS version, and that sold me on the game. 

There's only so much there were able to do with a port of a Wii game (the biggest Wii game, no less) to a handheld with bit of extra juice. 

Remember the original 'Legend of Zelda', the graphics were terrible and had a pretty bad framerate.  What was it on a 8-bit system or something?

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 12:52:02 am »
Okay, hold your horses, those horses need to be held.  Besides the graphical downgrade, I haven' noticed nor heard about these other issues.  Like I said, I haven't gotten too far into the game, if something does come to my attention I'll get back to you.  You know all that other stuff in the game, atmosphere, visuals, music, characters, gameplay, all the things that made Xenoblade Chronicles great?  That's very much still intact in the New 3DS version, and that sold me on the game. 

There's only so much there were able to do with a port of a Wii game (the biggest Wii game, no less) to a handheld with bit of extra juice. 

Remember the original 'Legend of Zelda', the graphics were terrible and had a pretty bad framerate.  What was it on a 8-bit system or something?

You keep wanting to make this about me being some sort of "graphic elitist", when it is has nothing to do with that.  Bringing up a 30 year old game is kinda pointless.  I'm sure the core of Xenoblade Chronicles is fine, the overall package though is a game that doesn't look to good with muddy textures (It doesn't seem like the game was too impressive on the Wii itself which is noticeable in up close shots, shows the limitations of the hardware which isn't great for a game that was supposed to sell the New 3DS, and is such a barebones port it really doesn't take advantage of the handheld its on as it could've greatly benefited from touch controls.  To me, that doesn't make for a great port and it affected my experience.  If people can ignore the issues, then great.  I couldn't and I think as far as ports go, it wasn't too great of one.

maximo310

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 01:03:56 am »

There was defenitely more they could have done with the port; it was  a pretty bare bones port from what I heard. The port simply exists to showcase the power of the New 3DS as its only exclusive, although the problem is that there will be downgrades because the New 3DS isn't powerful enough for this game. Now how this affects your experience of the game is somewhat subjective so if you wanna get the New 3DS game go for it. On the same token, the eshop release for wii u is the cheapest of the three options, and I believe the Wii version is the defenitive version of the game.

Also, trying to compare Legend of Zelda to Xeno 3DS is a terrible comparision for a 25+ year gap and doesn't make much sense considering Zelda NES is 60 fps/ graphics looking different to your liking.

indenton

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 01:08:27 am »
Even with Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, I haven't gotten too much mileage out of my New 3DS either. 

I wasn't going the Graphic elitist direction, it was more about considering the console specs.  At this point we should be criticising the New 3DS itself.  Come to think of it, it's not often that you get a port to a console with inferior specs like this.  Xenoblade Chronicles 3D is a bit of an unusual case. 

Can we just specify that there's a difference between an inferior port and a bad port?  For the compromises it had to make for the console, I don't think they could of done much else. 

indenton

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 01:13:58 am »

Also, trying to compare Legend of Zelda to Xeno 3DS is a terrible comparision for a 25+ year gap and doesn't make much sense considering Zelda NES is 60 fps/ graphics looking different to your liking.

I would like to clarify, if you couldn't tell, the legend of Zelda comparison was a joke, I'm not that 2-dimensional of a person.  Just trying to make this seem all in good fun instead of feeling miserable about myself.  It also doesn't feel good being completely outnumbered here.