Author Topic: Games Lost in Development  (Read 4186 times)

turom

PRO Supporter

Re: Games Lost in Development
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 05:43:46 pm »
Half Life 3 ? ;D
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

indenton

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »
Half Life 3 ? ;D

Does Half Life 3 even classify as Vapourware yet?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 09:17:52 pm »
Half Life 3 ? ;D

Does Half Life 3 even classify as Vapourware yet?
I think at this point it should fall under the unique term "Fan-dream" like the Dreamcast 2

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 10:24:11 pm »
Star Fox 2 for SNES

Compared to pretty much all other titles being brought up here, at least Star Fox 2 is available in some form, seemingly complete or at least near completion.

That is true. I don't use emulators so I haven't played it. Maybe I can find a Youtube video where someone played through it.

Sonic X-treme is another one of those recently discovered games that would top my list also. Following the progress on Assembler has been fun. I haven't looked in to it again recently.

Repro carts are out there. I happen to own one. Played it. Beat it. It was a good game. Star Fox Zero is supposedly everything they wanted this game to be.

That said my contribution to this topic is a Yasmine Bleeth (Kelly from Save by the Bell) and Walter Koenig (Chekov from Star Trek TOS) FMV shooter I bet ya'll never heard of called Maximum Surge. It was being made by Digital Pictures for PC and the other CD rom based consoles of the time. I am not kidding.

A very rudimentary demo was released but the game itself ended up never being completed or released.

Here's a trailer that includes some in-game footage.

Part of me died that day.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 07:04:58 pm by dashv »

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 04:05:25 am »
Half Life 3 ? ;D
Half Life 3 will happen at some point; its just Valve have no need to make it financially so it'll happen on their terms.

Half Life 2: Episode 3 apparently got cancelled in development though.

kashell

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 09:38:57 am »
This is going to sound really vague. I tried searching for this game but couldn't find it's title. Maybe someone will have better luck. Anyways, there was a promising looking RPG being made for the Game Boy Color. The system was already starved for RPGs (I was about done with Pokémon after Gold) so the news of a new RPG that had a good chance of coming to the US was great.

And it got cancelled. I was so mad.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 10:28:47 am »
This is going to sound really vague. I tried searching for this game but couldn't find it's title. Maybe someone will have better luck. Anyways, there was a promising looking RPG being made for the Game Boy Color. The system was already starved for RPGs (I was about done with Pokémon after Gold) so the news of a new RPG that had a good chance of coming to the US was great.

And it got cancelled. I was so mad.
The Gameboy Color is arguably the (relatively successful) console with the least RPGs. I mean off the top of my head, putting Pokémon aside, without googling I can only think of Lufia: The Legend Returns and Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, and the latter never made it west. I honestly can't think of anything else.

kashell

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 10:46:56 am »
There were a few others, but most weren't very good:

Magi Nation was slow moving and archaic.
Revelations had a strong start but the difficulty spikes made it hard to keep up with.
There was a Phantasy Star Collection, but I never played it.
The remake of Crystalis was somewhat fun, I guess.
I never played Dragon Warrior III, but I did play the Dragon Warrior Collection (consisting of I and II) which was surprisingly fun.
I never played the Dragon Warrior Monster games.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:59 am »

Revelations had a strong start but the difficulty spikes made it hard to keep up with.
I never played Dragon Warrior III, but I did play the Dragon Warrior Collection (consisting of I and II) which was surprisingly fun.

Ah I did think of the Phantasy Star Collection but then I second guessed myself and questioned if that was GBA.

I forgot about the Dragon Warrior and Dragon Warrior Monster games, I am aware of those though.

soera

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 11:09:13 am »
Phantasy star collection is GBA.

The DQ games are decent but better on NES actually.

Before Pokemon got popular, the only decent options for people who dont like silly games was the occasional Metroid, Kid Icarus, or Zelda installment. The thought of trying to play a full blown RPG on handheld wasnt taken too seriously.

kashell

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 11:13:18 am »

Ah I did think of the Phantasy Star Collection but then I second guessed myself and questioned if that was GBA.

I forgot about the Dragon Warrior and Dragon Warrior Monster games, I am aware of those though.

Thaaaat's right...GBA. I knew it was one of those; my brother was the one who got into that series. He said the first two were awful, but the third one included in that collection was somewhat fun.

soera

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 11:24:26 am »
Phantasy star is unarguably the best 8-bit RPG on the planet. PS 2/3/4 are decent too but nothing will compare with the first one. Its my dream series to see an HD remake.

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 12:20:58 pm »
Phantasy star is unarguably the best 8-bit RPG on the planet. PS 2/3/4 are decent too but nothing will compare with the first one. Its my dream series to see an HD remake.
I'd like to see that; not that I'm a big fan but because I hear so many good things about the premise of the series but I feel I gave it a try far too late; they all seem far too dated with the exception of Phantasy Star IV. I'm by no means a graphics snob......its not just the visual aspect of the games that puts me off. Its their simplicity overall. They just seem far too simplistic when compared to more recent RPGs; so although I can appreciate what they done for the genre, I can't get myself into them. Its much the same with other franchises, Final Fantasy for example; I can't bring myself to play the original at all, I've started it multiple times but quickly give up and just end up playing a later entry instead. I think titles such as Final Fantasy IV and Shining Force are the earliest RPGs that I can really get into.

I'd love to see more early RPGs given the Final Fantasy III treatment; enhanced both in terms of visuals and content, however retaining their identity. I'd play all the Phantasy Star titles and other RPG titles if they got that treatment.

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »
Phantasy star collection is GBA.

The DQ games are decent but better on NES actually.

Before Pokemon got popular, the only decent options for people who dont like silly games was the occasional Metroid, Kid Icarus, or Zelda installment. The thought of trying to play a full blown RPG on handheld wasnt taken too seriously.
Ain't that the truth; I feel 99% of my time with both my GameBoy and GameBoy Color was with a Pokémon title (The other 0.99% being with Monkey Puncher :D). Nothing else really held my attention.

It blew my mind when my friend got a GBA and started to show me titles such as Advance Wars, Golden Sun and Breath of Fire. Totally changed my perception of handhelds.

soera

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2015, 12:32:38 pm »
There are some decent 8/16 bit RPGs if you are willing to give them a try.

Destiny of an Emperor on the NES is a really awesome playthrough. Final fantasy 1 on the NES is a bore now but if you try one of the newer versions (GBA for example) its a lot better. Dragon Warrior is a must play but IV on the NES is great. FF VI (III on the SNES) is one of the greatest plays ever. Chrono Trigger. Sword of Vermillion on the Genesis.