Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 69971 times)

PlayerC90

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #285 on: June 24, 2016, 05:56:00 am »
Original post: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6762.msg111013.html#msg111013

31. The Ultimate DOOM [steam]: 4/5, ~14 hours
DOOM is still awesome even after over 20 years. Never played Ultimate DOOM before, and I gotta say, the new levels are not great. Oh well.

32. Higurashi When They Cry - Ch. 3 Tatarigoroshi [steam]: 4/5, ~13 hours
Each Chapter so far has been fantastic, and this one is no exception. Very different atmosphere, but just as good. I just think the slice of life stuff is slowly getting old, but still, I enjoyed Tatarigoroshi a lot. Hopefully it doesn't take another 7 months till Chapter 4.

« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2016, 02:07:19 pm »

Half way point!
26. Jurassic Park Arcade (Arcade)
: Not to be confused with the early 90s light gun shooter, this 2015 version is extremely fun! My only complaint was the lack of variety with the dinosaurs. The visuals were vivid, the controls were great, the scoring was fun, and the cabinet itself looks great! Only regret that it wasn't longer, but it's an arcade game so what would you expect?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #287 on: June 24, 2016, 02:57:53 pm »

Half way point!
26. Jurassic Park Arcade (Arcade)
: Not to be confused with the early 90s light gun shooter, this 2015 version is extremely fun! My only complaint was the lack of variety with the dinosaurs. The visuals were vivid, the controls were great, the scoring was fun, and the cabinet itself looks great! Only regret that it wasn't longer, but it's an arcade game so what would you expect?

It's a fun one.  The Boy and I dropped a couple of bucks in that one.  It was a blast. 

kashell

« Reply #288 on: June 24, 2016, 05:30:01 pm »
I updated my page with two more reviews: Kirby's Block Ball and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest.

« Reply #289 on: June 25, 2016, 04:09:32 am »
Nice idea for a challenge. I’m trying to do something similar with comics, but so far only 4 titles =’D
As for the games…

1.   Not a Hero (Steam) 7/10, ~6 Hours
2.   Gravity Ghost (Steam) 9/10, ~4 Hours
3.   Batman (NES) 5/10, ~2 Hours
4.   Flame Over (Steam) 7/10, ~9 Hours
5.   One Upon Light (Steam) 4/10, ~1Hour
6.   Earthbound (SNES) 10/10, ~30 Hours
7.   Star Fox Zero (Wii U) 9/10, ~4 Hours
8.   Dark Souls (PS3) 9/10,  ~200 Hours
9.   Dark Souls 2 – Scholar of the First Sin (PC) 7/10, ~131 Hours
10.   ChromaGun (Steam) 9/10, ~4 Hours
11.   Firewatch (Steam) 8/10, ~4 Hours
12.   Luftrausers (Steam) 9/10, ~9 Hours
13.   Dreaming Sarah (Steam) 9/10, ~2 Hours
14.   Blitz Breaker (Steam) 9/10, ~9 Hours
15.   Project Neon (Game Jam) 9/10, ~30 Mins
16.   She Wants Me Dead (Steam) 7/10, ~2 Hours
17.   The Ninja Warriors (SNES) 7/10, ~2 Hours
18.   Aladdin (SNES) 9/10, ~2 Hours (Replay)

19. Mighty No. 9 (Steam) 7/10, ~4 Hours
20. Titan Souls (Steam) 8/10, ~5 Hours
21. Neon Drive 8/10, ~1Hour
22. Dropsy (Steam) 8/10, ~6Hours
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:34:16 pm by trinisete »

telly

« Reply #290 on: June 25, 2016, 06:36:12 pm »
Game 16 - Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (PS3) -  9 hours

A very controversial title for many Ace Combat fans. I actually enjoyed it a fair bit: I think it's a pretty decent game, and it's a little too harshly criticized.

+ I really enjoyed the gameplay, for one thing. The DFM, while it can be annoying in parts, was a really cool addition to the series. The game definitely has those "badass" moments that I loved from the older games and Infinity. I also liked piloting all the alternate aircraft like an Apache and bomber missions (the only one I didn't like was the AC-130 mission).The soundtrack is back full force and is as good as ever, and I thought the supporting cast and voice acting was excellent and memorable as well.

- The story in my opinion was not great and pretty cliche; it's a standard nuclear war prevention story while fighting against Russia.. (zzzz) and it doesn't have the anti-war tones that previous Ace Combat games had. And I had some issues with the in-game controls, some of the alternate vehicles, and that damn ICBM mission.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:00:55 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #291 on: June 26, 2016, 04:59:58 am »
24 - Mega Man 3 (Mega Man Legacy Collection PS4 - FINISHED - While Mega Man 1 is almost a terrible game, and Mega Man 2 is a very solid game, Mega Man 3 is a weird beast where I feel like they just wanted to artificially inflate the game by not only rehashing levels with a harder format, before you even do the Wily stages, but bosses from the previous games, making it so you fight 24 bosses in this game, not counting midbosses.  It feels real lazy and at certain points it makes the game really drag, especially compared to Mega Man 2 which felt like a very tight experience.  Also I don't know if I'm just remembering wrong, but I remember Mega Man 1 had a good bit of slow down, Mega Man 2 had very little, and Mega Man 3 has shit tons.  It's pretty ridiculous how bad it seems at times.  Overall, despite introducing the slide, which is a series staple afterwards, I definitely place it under Mega Man 2.

Also I've come to realize that if I didn't have save states, I probably wouldn't finish any of these games, especially Mega Man 3.  They can be frustratingly hard and I don't enjoy banging my head against games most of the time.

Sidenote, I really hope we get a Legacy Collection like this for the Mega Man X games.  The whole time I play the old NES games, I just wish it was Mega Man X lol Except for X7.  I'm constantly reminded by Lets Players how awful this game is lol
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:02:18 am by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #292 on: June 26, 2016, 09:07:47 pm »
Time Stalkers has been finished. I can't believe how short the story is. That said, there is incentive for some to play it some more.

Onimusha 3 has also been finished. Whip issues aside, it was a great way to end the trilogy.

I have a lot of reviews to write. @_@

« Reply #293 on: June 27, 2016, 05:46:56 am »
25 - Mega Man 4 (Mega Man Legacy Collection PS4) - FINISHED - I think I'm about to hit max franchise fatigue with these games lol When you are pushing to really beat them, one right after the other, you start to see how tiny the changes are between releases.  This one introduces the charge buster at least which is awesome, another staple of the series like the slide introduced in MM3.  All I need now is the wall climbing of MMX and I'll be super happy!

After having fought...30 robot masters since the first game, I'm starting to hate bosses in these games.  I'd say the majority of these guys aren't fun to fight.  They have annoying, unavoidable moves and patterns.  Wily at the end has a form that you can almost not really ever hit.  Once you figure out a certain way to move, it becomes slightly doable, but they literally placed the thing almost higher than you can reach.  It's super dumb and makes for a weak fight.

I would say this is generally better than Mega Man 3 though as it has less rehashing.  Instead of dragging in previous bosses and redoing alternate versions of the levels, you get Dr. Cossacks levels that are all new with unique bosses and then you get Dr. Wily's stage with all unique bosses outside of the boss gauntlet that I wish didn't become a series staple lol So currently from best to worst, it's Mega Man 2, Mega Man 4, Mega Man 3, and Mega Man 1.

telly

« Reply #294 on: June 27, 2016, 08:50:32 pm »
Game 17 - Luigi's Mansion (GC) - 7 hours

+ This game is awesome! It's so fun, original, and I had a hard time putting the game down. It's super explorable with fun "haunted house" themes, a little bit of humor, and great controls and replayability. It was just a really fun and unique game, and I kind of want to get the sequel on the 3DS now since I heard that was excellent as well.

- The ONLY thing I could think of is that you can't skip cutscenes. The final boss in particular was a pain to get back too after dying, it took way to long.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:52:22 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #295 on: June 28, 2016, 12:17:59 am »
26 - Mega Man 5 (Mega Man Legacy Collection PS4) - FINISHED - Might easily be the best NES Mega Man game (unless MM6 somehow surpasses it).  All of the bosses have relatively doable patterns to follow and deal with, it's probably the smoothest the game has been in terms of menu's and such, and it's consistently good with its levels and new ideas to keep it all pretty fresh.  I was feeling kinda burnt out with MM4, but this game was enjoyable.  Just one more left in the bundle.

Also, finally hitting the halfway point in the challenge with half the year left.  I might be able to make it this time in terms of at least doing 52 games.  Doubt I can make it 52 games beat.

« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2016, 11:48:40 pm »
27 - Mega Man 6 (Mega Man Legacy Collection PS4) - FINISHED - Finally done with the NES Mega Man games and it went out with abit of a whimper.  It's not bad, but compared to how good Mega Man 5 was, MM6 was really just going through the motions.  It did clean up the Beat gun thing, introduced the Rush power suit, and made both Rush items a limited use power up which is way better, but some of the bosses felt weak and almost felt kinda like power rehashes such as the plant shield, which is just the leaf shield that you can't throw.  Also the Wily stuff was kinda stupid easy.  There also wasn't anything really inventive with stage designs like MM5.  I'm not surprised really, it was just a final cash-in for Capcom on the SNES with the awesome Mega Man X releasing the month after this on the SNES.

So placing the games, I'm gonna put it as... Mega Man 5, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 6, Mega Man 4, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 1 for my final Best to Worst placement of these games.  I really hope they release the Mega Man X collection this year or next. I've only ever played Mega Man X and never any of the others, and I think the X series is just way cooler.

« Reply #297 on: July 04, 2016, 09:48:28 pm »
I need to play some catch up. Going to try and crank out several games this month and get back on track to getting 52 games beat by the end of the year!

kashell

« Reply #298 on: July 06, 2016, 08:26:28 am »
I finished Robo Kirby and got a few of the endings in Zero Time Dilemma. The credits rolled in both, so that means it's time for more reviews!

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #299 on: July 06, 2016, 05:44:26 pm »
I beat a game thanks to the steam sale!

I played through Ronin (Steam) from start to finish in about 4 hours. The game is amazing and you should all definitely play it if it is in your library!