Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 69965 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #300 on: July 07, 2016, 08:17:35 am »
I beat a game thanks to the steam sale!

I played through Ronin (Steam) from start to finish in about 4 hours. The game is amazing and you should all definitely play it if it is in your library!
Good to know, I think I got it in a humble bundle, will definitely try to make time for that this year.

Update: I think I'm at 72 games beat out of 83 played this year.

kashell

« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2016, 01:31:50 pm »
Updated my review page with Onimusha 3 and Zero Time Dilemma reviews.

telly

« Reply #302 on: July 10, 2016, 09:42:44 pm »
Game 18 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (PS1) - 6 hours (estimated)

+ What can I say? it's Tony Hawk! It's a really fun game with great gameplay, controls, level design and a killer soundtrack. It's a classic that everyone knows about.

- For me, coming off of THPS4, this game did not age well and lacks a lot of features and controls I missed from the newer games. No spine transfers, no grind meters, no free roaming around the maps without a time limit in career mode. The missions were also more varied in THPS4, in this game it's "find x number of items in a stage" and "get a high score" for the majority of the missions.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 09:44:18 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

telly

« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2016, 02:56:57 pm »
Game 19 - Golden Sun (GBA) - 20 Hours

I don't know when I will be getting around to buying and playing the second game, but here's my thoughts on the first one!

+ This game is technically very impressive. For an early GBA game, the graphics, animation and art are really well done. I found the battles to fun and challenging, with a good difficulty balance and random encounter rate. The music was also pretty good too! Lastly, I looooved the puzzles both in the dungeons and on the world map.

- Because the story is stretched over two games, it really sucked to have this game just end with so much missing. Even with that though, the main story didn't really hook me anyway, I thought it was rather boring and standard fare personally. In addition, I found most of the characters, particularly the main 4 to be pretty uninteresting and flat. I also felt like there was a lot of redundant and unnecessary dialogue.

Back to my list
Currently Playing:

« Reply #304 on: July 19, 2016, 05:19:06 am »
28 - Song of the Deep (PS4) - Playing - Finally got around to actually putting some time into this and it's fairly good so far.  It's very much just Ori & The Blind Forest, like I have to wonder how much of Ori was known before this was made, but maybe it's just coincidence.  Being like that game is good still, because Ori is a wonderful game.  Song of the Deep relies more on maneuverability than the mobility of Ori, but much of all the same stuff there.  I think what does set the game apart is probably it's sub and being able to leave it in a diving suit, though getting out of the sub doesn't really change the gameplay much, just allows you to get into smaller areas.  It's a very enjoyable game so far.  Subtly creepy at times, very peaceful at others...

I do have to question their use of a spider boss in an underwater game though.  It's like the first boss and this is underwater.  I know there's a spider or two that can basically be under water for abit, but they don't survive under it lol It's weird when you start seeing spiderwebs under the water because of it.  This feels like kind of a lazy design since spider bosses are so common in games and it could've been just about any sort of creature with a few tweaks.

rayne315

« Reply #305 on: July 19, 2016, 10:55:16 am »
28 - Song of the Deep (PS4) - Playing - Finally got around to actually putting some time into this and it's fairly good so far.  It's very much just Ori & The Blind Forest, like I have to wonder how much of Ori was known before this was made, but maybe it's just coincidence.  Being like that game is good still, because Ori is a wonderful game.  Song of the Deep relies more on maneuverability than the mobility of Ori, but much of all the same stuff there.  I think what does set the game apart is probably it's sub and being able to leave it in a diving suit, though getting out of the sub doesn't really change the gameplay much, just allows you to get into smaller areas.  It's a very enjoyable game so far.  Subtly creepy at times, very peaceful at others...

I do have to question their use of a spider boss in an underwater game though.  It's like the first boss and this is underwater.  I know there's a spider or two that can basically be under water for abit, but they don't survive under it lol It's weird when you start seeing spiderwebs under the water because of it.  This feels like kind of a lazy design since spider bosses are so common in games and it could've been just about any sort of creature with a few tweaks.

Im playing song of the deep too and got past that part last night (been streaming it on twitch so my gf can watch it). and to fill your nightmares.

http://www.livescience.com/14517-diving-bell-spiders-underwater-bubbles.html

btw this is a very enjoyable game with a LOT more to it then you would have thought.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 11:18:04 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

rayne315

« Reply #306 on: July 20, 2016, 11:18:45 am »
well I managed to beat Song of the deep. the final boss seemed a bit.... easy? im not sure if I unintentionally skipped phases in the boss by moving quickly through it. I didn't even die once which I had on previous bosses. btw if you haven't played this game it is well worth the money for a new copy. the game is about 6-8 hours but with lots to find and collect. I collected less than 20% of all things hidden in the game.

BTW this game is #50 beat this year.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:44:37 am by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

PlayerC90

« Reply #307 on: July 21, 2016, 10:33:01 am »
Original post: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6762.msg111013.html#msg111013

33. Wolfenstein: The New Order [PS4]: 4/5,
Really fun shooter and the story is nice too. Got all trophies.

34. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE [Wii U]: 4/5, ~53 hours
I was sceptic about this game before release, as it pretty clearly wasn't what I wanted SMTxFE to be. After playing, it might be my favourite game of the year! Great and fun turn-based battle system, and while the plot is super silly, it still managed to be intriguing to me. I could live without the fan service though.

telly

« Reply #308 on: July 22, 2016, 03:55:38 pm »
Game 20 - Ratchet & Clank (PS2) - 10 Hours

+ I love the Ratchet and Clank games, and this one is pretty solid, with all the stuff I love from the series. It has great worlds to explore, fun weapons, really nice gameplay, funny writing, and great replayability. The previous games improve even more upon all these things, so while it is lacking some great features (like weapon upgrades) but it's still really enjoyable.

- The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the music, I remember how great some of the soundtracks were in the later games. And like I mentioned above, there are a lot of features that I just missed from the older games, like ship combat and up-gradable weapons, etc.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 04:01:58 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:

« Reply #309 on: July 23, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »
Now with the "reviews"

1.   Not a Hero (Steam) 7/10, ~6 Hours

A crazy bunny man runs for Mayer of the world and contracts mercenaries to apply his campaign strategy, killing all bad guys. Seems like an act of justice, but is a gore massacre delivered by you, the player.

Its similar to Gunpoint, but with more fast packed action gunfight and an insane level of difficult, at last for these how try 100%.

2.   Gravity Ghost (Steam) 9/10, ~4 Hours

A beautiful tale about family, friendship and death. Control a girl trough the spirit realm and save the day while recovering memories. For that, use your ability to float in low gravity levels and acquire terraforming powers.

3.   Batman (NES) 5/10, ~2 Hours

An action platform featuring batman as a hero in a world that has not to do with him, except for the existence of Joker. In general a pretty easy and fun game, until the last boss. Some levels seems a bit broken as well.

4.   Flame Over (Steam) 7/10, ~9 Hours

An arcade game at the mold of the classic Fireman (SNES), and with some elements from Ignition Force (SNES). Short, difficult, but fun.

5.   One Upon Light (Steam) 4/10, ~1Hour

Puzzle game about light and shadow. You’re a scientist how can’t traverse light due to a mysterious accident. Very poorly design on some levels, and very boring.

6.   Earthbound (SNES) 10/10, ~30 Hours

SNES RPG Classic. Need to say more?

7.   Star Fox Zero (Wii U) 9/10, ~4 Hours

It’s a remake of Star Fox 64... wich was a remake of Star Fox (NES). Basically, Nintendo still don’t know how to create a new game for the franchise at the mold of these old classics, and therefore contracted another company to reset the timeline again.

The result although was an incredibly beautiful and well made game.

8.   Dark Souls (PS3) 9/10,  ~200 Hours

The hardest game on earth…. Kkkkkkkkkkk. Ok, not so much. I actually find it ok on the difficult level. It just take time to learn the enemies pattern and to grind sometimes.

9.   Dark Souls 2 – Scholar of the First Sin (PC) 7/10, ~131 Hours

This one is harder, at last on the DLCs. Not as good as the first one.

10.   ChromaGun (Steam) 9/10, ~4 Hours

Miss Portal? Then try this. Awesome action puzzle with a color gun.

11.   Firewatch (Steam) 8/10, ~4 Hours

The new adventure game from the creator of Gone Home. Beautiful scenery, interesting story and fantastic characters. Still, could be better.

12.   Luftrausers (Steam) 9/10, ~9 Hours

Incredible 2D dogfight game. Hard, but awesome!

13.   Dreaming Sarah (Steam) 9/10, ~2 Hours

Cinematic platform as you never seen before.

14.   Blitz Breaker (Steam) 9/10, ~9 Hours

Very fast-paced 2D action platform with fantastic level design.

15.   Project Neon (Game Jam) 9/10, ~30 Mins

Shoot targets, bounce on arrows. Seems to simple, but the result was an amazing game. Extremely creative.

16.   She Wants Me Dead (Steam) 7/10, ~2 Hours

Super Meat Boy was easy, this is hard.

17.   The Ninja Warriors (SNES) 7/10, ~2 Hours

Single player beat em up with robot ninjas. Short, but fun.

18.   Aladdin (SNES) 9/10, ~2 Hours (Replay)

Just play it, ok.

19.   Mighty No. 9 (Steam) 7/10, ~4 Hours

Sorry reviewers and Megaman fanbase, but this game is good. It’s just not the best one, have a lot of flaws on the last level and had spending close to nothing of the collected money, but still good. 

20.   Titan Souls (Steam) 8/10, ~5 Hours

Shadow of Colossus 2D. Ideal for those how like boss fights.

21.   Neon Drive 8/10, ~1Hour

Psychedelic hybrid between race and rhythm game. Lot’s of great music and frenetic gameplay. Love it.

22.   Dropsy (Steam) 8/10, ~6Hours

The sad clown that can’t speak adventure. Good, but I was expecting more. The semi open world and the side missions ware great.

shfan

« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2016, 12:43:44 pm »
9) Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS)

Nice little return to Mickey's classic 2D platformer roots, beautiful visuals and FX. It's a short game, with 12 (sizeable) levels and only a few bosses, but I really enjoyed it and there's still more side-tasks to be done before it's complete as opposed to beaten.

kashell

« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2016, 06:04:54 pm »
I updated the page with my reviews with a review for Robo Kirby and Seven Samurai 20XX. New reviews on the way are for The World Ends With You and Star Ocean V.

shfan

« Reply #312 on: July 26, 2016, 11:02:44 am »
10) Dragon Quest Warriors (PS4)

Plays a bit more like Sengoku Basara than Dynasty Warriors due to your party of four being the only friendlies on the battlefield most of the time and enemies tending to hang around their preset areas rather than attack in waves. Enjoyed it very much, sickly sweet but anything with Yangus in it is worth a try, wasn't disappointed. I was tempted to stick around and do more quests etc., but I want to work through some different games.

shfan

« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2016, 01:38:11 pm »
11) Amelie's Summer Time Cafe (PC)

Generic time management game, nothing remarkable (or bad), made a nice change of pace.

« Reply #314 on: July 27, 2016, 10:08:46 am »
Filled up another post with reviews and such.

78 games beat out of 87 played I think.  Having a tough time deciding what to play next.  I might jump into Puzzle + Dragons Z for my handheld game.  Not sure about console.  Thinking about Valkyria Chronicles Remastered.