Author Topic: Category/Platform Requests (Archive)  (Read 49121 times)

karyann

Re: Category/Platform Requests
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2016, 10:50:48 pm »
I just re-updated the original post!

Not sure if it's feasible, but should we have a separate Platform/Category for countries with their own rating systems, such as New Zealand or Iran? For that matter, should we break up the EU category since many European countries also have their own rating systems? Most of the other regions (JP, CN) are classified by country, and I'd think the NA category could be excused since the ESRB covers the continent. Not sure where the line should be drawn or if it'd get too messy to categorize them all.
That's actually a very interesting point. It would require a whole lot of reworking, but I think it's worth at least pondering upon. EU categories ARE getting really messy after all...

I noticed we have a category for Interactive Figures and Cards, but its only subcategory is Interactive Figures. Shouldn't we have Interactive Cards? Would something like a Lord of Vermilion card, which is placed on an arcade machine and scanned to insert a character into the game, count as an example of Interactive Cards?
Categories are going to be changed (hopefully soon) for the pattern voted in the thread about Interactive Figures!

tripredacus

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2016, 10:41:35 am »
We need to get bootlegs and homebrews out of regular categories so that regular game categories are for standard releases only. An additional category for such games should be added for each of the main systems to handle all consoles it falls under. Such as:
- Sega Genesis/Mega Drive
- NES/Famicom
- Game Boy/Color/Advance

Additional platforms required from my list
-----
Atari 2600 [BR ]
ColecoVision [AU]
ColecoVision [EU]
Commodore 64 Cartridges [AU]
Dragon 32
Fujitsu FM-7
Mac OS X [JP]
MSX [KR]
N-Gage [AU]
NEC PC-6001 [JP]
Nintendo 3DS [KR]
Nintendo DS [KR]
Pioneer LaserActive [JP]
Sega CD [BR ]
Sega Dreamcast [BR ]
Sega Master System [KR]*
Sega Master System [TW]*
Sega Mega Drive [AS]
Sega Saturn [AU]
Sega Saturn [KR]
Sega SG-1000 [TW]
Sharp MZ [JP]
Sharp X1 [JP]
Sony PlayStation 4 [TW]
TRS-80 Color Computer
Xbox 360 [AS]
Xbox 360 [KR]
Xbox One [TW]

*May consider making a SMS [AS] category for Korea, Taiwan and Chinese releases.

From list on front page:
Mega Drive [AU] - listed twice
Mega Drive [ BR] - already exists

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2016, 03:14:13 pm »
Request:
- Playstation Portable [UK]

tripredacus

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2016, 03:33:10 pm »
Request:

UK games go into EU category at the moment:
http://vgcollect.com/browse/pspeu
If it is a UK only game (has BFFC rating or other distinction from English EU release) then you use [UK] as title suffix.

Here is example, Activision Hits Remixed:
http://vgcollect.com/item/65326
and
http://vgcollect.com/item/108338

argyle

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2016, 11:04:02 am »
Can we PLEASE get Playstation 4 [AS], Playstation 3 [AS], and Playstation Vita [AS] categories? I was under the impression that the [CN] category covered Asian releases, but now I'm being told that's not the case. I'd be willing to bet the majority of games entered under [CN] are actually [AS], I know all of the ones I've entered are.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

argyle

« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2016, 05:27:27 am »
BTW, this region mess would be a LOT simpler if it were simply a field in the game's entry instead of a category. In other words, when you enter a game you should just choose the region for that game just like you choose dev, publisher, genre, etc. This would solve 2 problems: it would list all games by a platform together (am I the only one that hates that, for example, my PS3 collection is split between NA, JP, UK, etc?) and it would make adding new/missing regions a lot easier than having to create an entire new category.

I know this will never happen, it's too major of an upheaval of the system. It's become enough of an annoyance to me tho that I'm currently looking for other options to catalog my collection.  :-\
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

tripredacus

« Reply #81 on: September 04, 2016, 10:59:32 am »
I know what you are talking about. Yes it would involve a lot of work. If we change it so game entries can have these additional attribute fields:
- release country (if known)
- languages (for game/manual used as a tag/based system so that multiples can be added in various combinations)

Then what you want is for the categories to be "smart." Instead of the games being in categories, you want the category to fetch the games that apply to it. So if you wanted to look at PS3 Japan, the site would show you PS3 games released in Japan. If you wanted to see PS3 games from UK, it would only show you those. If you justed wanted to see PS3 games without additional filters, it would show that.

So it would be a lot of work, meaning adding all that information to existing entries, if we get those types of fields. And probably this type of display would work best to only be available as a profile option at first.

Basically, you want to control how your collection is shown to you. Does what I am saying make sense?

karyann

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2016, 08:16:57 pm »
BTW, this region mess would be a LOT simpler if it were simply a field in the game's entry instead of a category. In other words, when you enter a game you should just choose the region for that game just like you choose dev, publisher, genre, etc. This would solve 2 problems: it would list all games by a platform together (am I the only one that hates that, for example, my PS3 collection is split between NA, JP, UK, etc?) and it would make adding new/missing regions a lot easier than having to create an entire new category.

I know this will never happen, it's too major of an upheaval of the system. It's become enough of an annoyance to me tho that I'm currently looking for other options to catalog my collection.  :-\

This is my dream. It would indeed be a crapton of work, but it would be easier to manage afterwards. I don't wanna leave Jason to tackle this alone, however. That would suck for him.  :-\ And I'm pursuing a promotion, so you might have noticed my regular absences recently  :'(

argyle

« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2016, 08:30:43 pm »
Yeah tripredacus, that would be the ultimate ideal, but even as a half-measure if everything was just sorted by platform period & all the other data was just fields under that, regardless of if you could sort by them or not, would be an improvement IMO.

But I'm fully aware that all of this is free, and the work is being done out of the goodness of people's hearts, so I don't want to sound ungrateful. It's just that with the increased amount of importing I've started personally doing I'm not sure if the current system is going to continue to meet my needs.

« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2016, 04:32:26 am »
This is really clever and when I think about, I mean, we have all the data in place already. It's "just" to create a field and migrate data using the information we already have. I.e. all entries residing in i.e. PS3 [NA] category should have field = Region set to "North America". So while it is indeed a lot of work, it's not like we have to re-add every game to the database again :)

This is my dream. It would indeed be a crapton of work, but it would be easier to manage afterwards. I don't wanna leave Jason to tackle this alone, however. That would suck for him.  :-\ And I'm pursuing a promotion, so you might have noticed my regular absences recently  :'(

« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2016, 04:11:04 pm »
Request:

If it is a UK only game (has BFFC rating or other distinction from English EU release) then you use [UK] as title suffix.

and

I bought a game in UK and when trying to update your version EU realized that there are differences, even in the back image of the box, even if the item number UCES is the same.

« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2016, 02:33:56 am »
Request:

and

I bought a game in UK and when trying to update your version EU realized that there are differences, even in the back image of the box, even if the item number UCES is the same.

Sometimes there are indeed UK specific version of a European Release. In this case, put an [UK] in the end of the name, i.e. "Sim City [UK]" and put it into the [EU] category of the platform it belongs to

telly

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2016, 11:42:18 am »
We have a PSP UMD video [AU] that was just added. It's in the [EU] category right now, could we get an AU category for it? Thanks guys :)

http://vgcollect.com/item/111629
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

jason

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2016, 11:41:37 pm »
I'm sorry for the delay on these. I've managed to get through a few tonight. More to come. Please send me a message if there are issues. Thanks!

Added:
Sega Mega Drive [AU]
Sega Master System [AU]
PlayStation [AU]
Neo Geo Pocket [EU]
Neo Geo Pocket [NA]
Neo Geo Pocket [JP]
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Vita [AU]
GameCube [AU]
Wii [KR]
Atari 7800 [EU]
PSP UMD Video [AU]

LED handhelds (What would be the parent for this category?)

Also, regarding the Region issue. This is something we're looking into adding to the games instead of the categories, but will take a bit of time and some work to get it all figured out.

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2016, 08:15:08 am »
Can we have a formal discussion about the merging the regions idea?

I'm hoping there's something I'm missing or misunderstanding, sounds like it would make searching for games a pain unless you use advanced search.