Author Topic: Category/Platform Requests (Archive)  (Read 48414 times)

shfan

Re: Category/Platform Requests
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2016, 06:56:06 pm »
It's difficult to say which market the dual-format games are aimed at.

The Electron is effectively a cut-down BBC microcomputer, it would be like Sega releasing the Genesis then later removing and downgrading components and releasing the resultant Master System (or equivalent).

The BBC Micro was aimed as being an educational machine and had high specs which priced it out the range of many households, so to compete with the likes of the ZX Spectrum the cut-down Electron was released as a games and general purpose machine. I'm no expert, but I suspect the dual format games were originally designed for the BBC and then rendered more simplistic for the Electron, though they could be created independently.

Currently Electron is listed as a sub-category of BBC, I would propose rolling with that and listing dual-format games as being BBC and noting Electron in the notes as you suggest. Does that sound good?

tripredacus

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 11:06:16 am »
Go with what you feel. When we get more people into that platform, then those collectors can help decide how they should be listed.

shfan

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2016, 03:33:23 pm »
Sounds good, I can start now with some consistency :D I'm very happy to fall inline with whatever the community decides in the future. Thanks for your input on this.

kam1kaz3nl77

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 06:50:46 am »
VR Oculus Rift. I don't know if this is considered a platform or just as a pheriphiral
HTC VIVE. Same thing!

Dunno if it's the main platform or just an over expensive controller!? :P
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 01:58:09 pm by kam1kaz3nl77 »

Upcoming Pre-orders:

tripredacus

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2016, 10:04:05 am »
Neo Geo Pocket only has a category for hardware but not software. See here:
http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6764.msg113882.html#msg113882

karyann

« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2016, 12:34:26 pm »
VR Oculus Rift. I don't know if this is considered a platform or just as a pheriphiral
HTC VIVE. Same thing!

Dunno if it's the main platform or just an over expensive controller!? :P

I'm not very knowledgeable on the Oculus Rift, but my understanding is that it's a peripheral. If that's the case, I think it should go under PC, like the Kinect is under Xbox 360.  ???

Flashback2012

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2016, 03:04:57 am »
I did some digging around and it looks like this topic has come up before...

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,4796.0.html

Retromangia was asking a few years back where to put things like CD-i Video CD movies and music. At the time Foxhack advised him to hold off until Matt put in specific categories for them. In that time those sections haven't been added so I'm curious if the following categories be requested...

CD-i Video CD (Music & Movies) [NA]
CD-i Video CD (Music & Movies) [EU]

From the looks of it, some movies and music have already made their way into the database:

Found in [NA]
http://vgcollect.com/item/74096
http://vgcollect.com/item/58289
http://vgcollect.com/item/91014
http://vgcollect.com/item/44520
http://vgcollect.com/item/44519

Found in [EU]
http://vgcollect.com/item/89283

I'm sitting on a handful of movies that don't have entries yet such as Wayne's World, the Addams Family, Forrest Gump, Posse, Sliver and several others as well as some that I'm aware of but don't own such as The Firm and Robocop 3. I think one stickler the last time this was brought up was that these are Video CDs and can be used on devices that accept the format (I have used them on my Hitachi Saturn that has a DV card) however they are packaged in a similar vein as CD-i specific titles so I think it best if they went under that Platform.  :)

argyle

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2016, 11:35:04 am »
Man, I hate to even bring this up, because I'm afraid this is going to be a headache. Honestly hope someone tells me this has already been addressed & I've just overlooked where it's supposed to go.  :P

Playstation 2 games playable on the PS4. Where the heck do they go? We have a Playstation 2 Classics category, but now there are 2 sets of Classics - those only playable on the PS3, and those only playable on the PS4. So do we go "Playstation 2 Classics (PS3) [NA]" and "Playstation 2 Classics (PS4) [NA]"?  ???

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

karyann

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2016, 12:26:35 pm »
Man, I hate to even bring this up, because I'm afraid this is going to be a headache. Honestly hope someone tells me this has already been addressed & I've just overlooked where it's supposed to go.  :P

Playstation 2 games playable on the PS4. Where the heck do they go? We have a Playstation 2 Classics category, but now there are 2 sets of Classics - those only playable on the PS3, and those only playable on the PS4. So do we go "Playstation 2 Classics (PS3) [NA]" and "Playstation 2 Classics (PS4) [NA]"?  ???

Yeah, those and cross-buy games are REALLY a headache. I've been trying to figure something out for a while now, and I really don't know.  :-\

I personally don't like the "Playstation 2 Classics" and other sub-categories, at all. IMO they make everything confusing since they can legitimately be put under PSN or PS2 Classics, leading to multiple dupes and edits to change them back and forth between categories.

There's always the cross-buy games problem in the end, though.  >:(

+1 for the kitty gif making things better!  :)

desocietas

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2016, 01:41:14 pm »
Ugh, I agree. I hate how the current PSN categories are. So many items are crossbuy that I'd rather it just be all lumped together in one place. I know somethings have to be bought separately, though, too, so it's just so araggaghagahs;dlgk

This is why I prefer to buy physical so I can ignore looking at that section *facepalm*
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

argyle

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2016, 01:11:59 am »
Ironically, it was tracking my digital library that drew me to this site. I wanted an easy way of knowing what I owned. :P

Sony lists them in the store as "PS2 on PS4", which still sounds weird but might be the best category to create to put them in?
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

telly

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2016, 12:04:40 pm »
I remember bringing this up as a topic over the summer, it leads to what I think are dupes in multiple platforms, like karyann said.

I think it would be good to remove the PS1 and 2 classics sections on VGC and move it all into PS network under the appropriate platforms. It just seems strange to have a "PS Classics" section when it's really just a different section of the PSN store. I don't mind the cross buy platforms being listed in both sections, not sure about that though.

The topic I made: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,6451.msg98024.html#msg98024

EDIT: I wanted to ask how the Xbox digital categories were working, since for that we have all the Xbox digital stuff under either Xbox 360 or One with no additional sub-categories. Do you guys think that's what should be done with Sony as well?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:13:56 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

desocietas

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:04 pm »
There are some recently created entries that I believe would go with Playstation 3 [BR ], which we don't have yet :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

pode

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2016, 08:09:26 pm »
i bought rayman origins off of the Uplay storefront, but there was no category so I uploaded it as a PC download with "(Uplay)" next to it. can you please add a Uplay category?

desocietas

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:05 pm »
i bought rayman origins off of the Uplay storefront, but there was no category so I uploaded it as a PC download with "(Uplay)" next to it. can you please add a Uplay category?

Our current style guide for digital games states the following for Uplay items:

I bought the game at a digital retailer, but I got a key that needs to be activated somewhere. Should I add the game with the store name?
No. If you bought a game and they gave you a Steam key, you should use a Steam listing for the game. If you got an Origin or Uplay key then you should use a generic digital listing for the game.

but I'll merge your topic into the category requests so that it's on the radar for possible additions should we decide to change that.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas