Author Topic: Favorite hidden gems from last gen (PS3/360/Wii)  (Read 10746 times)

HarvestDude

Re: Favorite hidden gems from last gen (PS3/360/Wii)
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 11:17:40 pm »
I still haven't moved to the next gen, so the Ps3/360 are still very fresh to me! Lol.

Well, there are a few games i really enjoyed playing on them (and there are a lot i still have to play) but here are my Gems:

Asura's Wrath (Ps3/360)

What a game! A platformer-beat'em-up-space-shooter-interactive-movie game... not kidding! The story is based on hindu mythology and it´s about a very angry god named Asura, who seeks revenge after being betrayed for his other 6 fellow gods. On top of that, his wife was killed and daughter, kidnapped. Think about an ANGRY god. Asura is actually the god of Wrath and the angrier he gets, more powerful he becomes. I think Asura as a mix of SSJ4 Goku + SSJ4 Vegeta. With Vegeta's wrath. And kicked in the nuts. Add to that wonderful scenarios, gigantic bosses e a lot of fighting. UNFORTUNALLY Capcom released the true ending as a DLC. A damn shame. But even so AW is a wonderful game that suprised me so much for its gameplay, story, soundtrack and scenarios. A must-play.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Wii)

I really like fighting games, specially when it comes to Capcom. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom only wasn't as great as the other crossover fighting games because he was on Wii and didn't have much controller options suitable to its system. TvC has solid gameplay, decent graphics and it's a fun game to play. The characters from Tatsunoko are very different and little known compared to the most popular franchises, but they add depth to the gameplay due to their unique style. It was a good blend and unfortunally the Wii is still the only place where you can play this game. A reboot or sequel for new generation consoles (and with proper controllers and public) would make this series skyrocketing popular. Very good game and worth wasting some sleep hours training combos.

3D Dot Game Hero (Ps3)

A game compromised to the old classics, to the core. Boxy and 3d-pixelated, 3DDGH is an ode to great classic adventure games such as Zelda and Dragon Quest, but it has its own shine. Not only it keeps the simple inventory and item systems from ages past, as it keeps the same easy and straight-to-action gameplay old games had. It has a beautiful world made out of 3d pixels (sometimes it seems like a lego game) with good visual effects and the same level of exploration needed on classic adventures. It's fun, it's cute, it's easy to play and if you like Zelda games, you'll love it.

De Blob (Wii)

A huge splash of creativity. That´s what i thought when i first saw and played this game. De Blob might seem too simple and off-standards for a platform game, but it has fun to the core. What i really like about this game are the small details. The color blending, the splashing ink on the streets, the small people being liberated from the black-and-white tyranny... De Blob seems to me as a Dreamcast game, from a time when game producers still had the guts to try something new and intense. The controls feels a bit confusing at first (since you have to play with both nunchaku and wiimote) but you get it fast. Splashing color in a gray city is so much fun (it reminds me a lot of Jet Grind Radio sometimes) and the enemy characters are very funny too, specially on the interludes between stages. It's a great game to play for a relaxing time, just to see colors splashing everywhere and also listen to a great pop-jazz soundtrack. Simple, colorful and fun.

I could add a lot more to this list but i think it's enough for now... or i'll waste my day and night posting here, lol.

HarvestDude™
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:22:47 pm by HarvestDude »

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2016, 06:10:58 am »
Hidden gems seems pretty accurate for the games I'm about to describe. These aren't in any particular order, except the last one. I like to save the best for last.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva f: Like abe, I'm a huge fan. I've been following this darling piece of singing technology long before PDF was announced for localization. When I heard she was coming over, I was thrilled. It's so much fun and whenever I mention it outside of here, folks are like, "What's a vocaloid?" *sigh*

The Last Story: While basic bitches were playing Xenoblade and tweeting about it on their iPhones, I was not acting like a Lemming and playing this gorgeous game. A fun battle system coupled with some of the best characters written in an RPG, The Last Story was a brilliant game. Also, 'DAT ARTBOOK!

Atelier Ayesha: Alchemist of Dusk While Atelier is becoming more popular, it still doesn't get the recognition in comparison to other RPG juggernauts. Ayesha is a great place for folks to start if people are interested in this series. Obviously, the game is stunning audibly and visually. The clever item crafting system and the relatable characters make the game even more of a favorite. My 300th review was for this game.

Resonance of Fate: As I play through this game a second time, I can't help but to feel annoyed with Sega for releasing it a mere two weeks after Final Fantasy XIII. RoF offers a unique look at the RPG genre and doesn't pull any punches. Vashyron, Zephyr and Leanne make a wonderful trio that players will get to know as though they're long time friends. Once you "get" the battle system, you'll have a hard time going back to something more vanilla. I really wish more folks gave this game a shot, no pun intended.

Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of Dusk Sea My favorite game of 2015 that, like Ayesha, didn't get the love it deserved. Basically, it takes everything I love about the series and cranks it up to 11.

So much all of this. Except ROF I didn't play but damn I need to find a space-time folding device so I can play everything I want. :(

I platted Project Diva on Vita and even if I couldn't find the time to clear the 2nd I'm looking forward to play the X on PS4, those are indeed awesome.  BTW do you know any shop where I can import easilly CDs from Japan? I'd like to get myself a copy of 39D album from Vocaloid producer Mitchie M but I can't find it anywhere that ships to Europe, I had no issue finding the Greatest Idol album on Amazon but I got no luck with the latest.

Back on topic the deserve-to-be-more-famous games I can think of on these consoles I would add Vanquish, Dragon's Dogma and Dragon's Crown.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

abe

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2016, 07:27:17 am »
I platted Project Diva on Vita and even if I couldn't find the time to clear the 2nd I'm looking forward to play the X on PS4, those are indeed awesome.  BTW do you know any shop where I can import easilly CDs from Japan? I'd like to get myself a copy of 39D album from Vocaloid producer Mitchie M but I can't find it anywhere that ships to Europe, I had no issue finding the Greatest Idol album on Amazon but I got no luck with the latest.

I was going to suggest CDJapan, but I couldn't find it there. :( I couldn't even find it on Amazon Japan either. :o
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2016, 08:02:46 am »

The Last Story: While basic bitches were playing Xenoblade and tweeting about it on their iPhones, I was not acting like a Lemming

Whoa, whoa, your tone, it's all wrong

My tone is that of an angel. I'm America's Sweetheart, after all.

I was going to suggest CDJapan, but I couldn't find it there. :( I couldn't even find it on Amazon Japan either. :o

I can't access it now since I'm on my work computer, but maybe Play-Asia would have something? I would also suggest Renchi, but they don't seem to be around anymore. ;__;
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:07:04 am by kashell »

abe

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 09:35:07 am »
I can't access it now since I'm on my work computer, but maybe Play-Asia would have something? I would also suggest Renchi, but they don't seem to be around anymore. ;__;

Just checked. Couldn't find it there either. I also checked AmiAmi, Jbox, Nin-Nin Game, and Solaris Japan and couldn't find it there either. :'( I must be doing something wrong. Surely it must be somewhere on one of those sites. :-\
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 01:49:17 pm »
Vanquished
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 10:42:37 pm »
1. King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
2. Sonic's All Stars Racing Transformed (PS3)
3. Elebits (Wii)
4. Geometry Wars Galaxies (Wii)
5. Katamari Forever (PS3)

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 05:58:50 am »

Just checked. Couldn't find it there either. I also checked AmiAmi, Jbox, Nin-Nin Game, and Solaris Japan and couldn't find it there either. :'( I must be doing something wrong. Surely it must be somewhere on one of those sites. :-\

Thanks for checking guys :D

After a bit of research this morning I found out that the album was sold only by the composer in person on a booth at the Winter Comiket 89 event in Tokyo, so there's no physical copies to be found anywhere. Even the people in Japan that didn't attend to the event couldn't get their copy. I guess I have no choice but to go digital for this one..
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 05:12:36 am »
4. Duke Nukem Forever (360/PS3/PC)
I'll probably get shit for this one, but I stand by it.  I actually bought this game day one, even bought the special edition, if I could use hindsight and go back and tell myself not to buy it and wait for it to drop like crazy in price like it did, I would have done that.  But alas, I can't.  Objectively speaking, completely ignoring all of the hype and anti-hype surrounding this game, it's a fairly solid Duke Nukem game.  All of that aged Duke Nukem humor is there, though we as people have aged and mostly find the humor disgusting and childish, it very much matches the Duke Nukem character.  Some of the aspects of the game are very aged gameplay wise, but you can't play a Duke Nukem game expecting Call of Duty seriousness, you have to take it tongue in cheek, just like Bulletstorm.
Solidarity brother. I don't know why but I enjoyed this game. It was just mindless fun. When Duke says "I'm gonna piss in your eye." And then literally follows through on that promise. Nothing better :D

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2016, 05:45:00 am »
I don't think there is much I could mention that would be a hidden gem to folks on here. So I will simply list off my five favorites that aren't Call of Duty or Final Fantasy kind of thing.

Vanquish - If I was to simply say 3rd person cover based shooter....... you'd probably think "omg such an over saturated sub-genre last gen, another Gears of War clone." That's what I first thought when someone recommended it to me. However that couldn't be more wrong; this game is fast paced action; it's like if Zone of the Enders, Devil May Cry and Gears of War had some unnatural orgy; and this game miraculously popped out (charming image I know). The cheesy narrative is  bonus too.

Lost Odyssey - The true Final Fantasy XIII in my eyes. Beautiful visuals, a compelling story (some tear jerkers in there) and a simple but rewarding battle system. It  served as an example of what could have been had Sakaguchi stayed with Square and continued to work on Final Fantasy. Anyone who says J-RPGs were weak last gen; I urge you to play this if you havn't already, it might change your mind.

The Last Story - Another Mistwalker title; this time on Wii so I imagine it got even less attention. Nobody really used their Wii for much outside Mario Kart, Smash Bros Brawl and Wii Sports; so considering Xenoblade Chronicles came out in the same window (at least in my region); I'd imagine this game didn't get noticed much at all. The game isn't without faults; I personally hate having to play it with the wiimote and nunchuk and there's not much in terms of exploration which is a bit disappointing. However I love the art style, the story is compelling and the battle system is fun and action packed. It's different as far as J-RPGs go and I guess that's what I like about it.

Shadowrun -  This is probably one I'll get stick for but I'll stick to my guns on it ;) I didn't play the original Shadowrun so for that reason it didn't bother me that this wasn't an RPG. This game came out at a period in which I was just getting into online shooters; I'd had my 360 for a few months, spending my time with Rainbow Six Vegas and Gears of War; but we wanted something new. A friend read a preview of the game online and he sold it to us, so half our clan went out and bought it We didn't regret it, we were hooked instantly. It was just a bizarre concept; the Counter Strike weapon system but with magic and weird classes, it was simply like nothing else out there. Most people I come across hate this game but I can't help loving it.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - Shame we'll never get another one as this game came closer to being the ultimate Fable game than any Fable title ever did. I always wanted a Fable game that was open world, with proper side quests and a better combat system; and that's exactly what this is.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
Hidden gems seems pretty accurate for the games I'm about to describe.

The Last Story: While basic bitches were playing Xenoblade and tweeting about it on their iPhones, I was not acting like a Lemming and playing this gorgeous game. A fun battle system coupled with some of the best characters written in an RPG, The Last Story was a brilliant game. Also, 'DAT ARTBOOK!

The last story cannot be considered a hidden gem.

It's actually pretty popular, one of the best rpg's for the wii, sure it was I believe 1 year after xenoblade and people were dissapointed that it wasn't as good but still plenty known to all with high reviews.

Pandora's tower could be a hidden gem since it was at the end of the wii life span and way less people bought this game compared to the former operation rainfall releases. It was also slightly worse than the last story wich didn't help for the sales and the 3 coin set.

Still though I wouldn't even consider pandora's tower to be a hidden gem, way to well known since it is part of the operation rainfall rpg wii series.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 04:29:34 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2016, 06:11:18 pm »

It's actually pretty popular, one of the best rpg's for the wii, sure it was I believe 1 year after xenoblade and people were dissapointed that it wasn't as good but still plenty known to all with high reviews.

Pandora's tower could be a hidden gem since it was at the end of the wii life span and way less people bought this game compared to the former operation rainfall releases. It was also slightly worse than the last story wich didn't help for the sales and the 3 coin set.

Still though I wouldn't even consider pandora's tower to be a hidden gem, way to well known since it is part of the operation rainfall rpg wii series.
You could make the argument that all games aren't hidden gems. Especially on a forum like this where some people own 2000 games :D

The term 'hidden gem' is stupid really. Among hardcore gamers none of these games are really hidden. they may be surprises when they first come out but they're not really hidden.

This thread is pretty much about games that don't belong to a well established series/franchise or aren't a Last of Us kind of blockbuster title.

Also depends on your region. The Last Story and Pandora's Tower both came out in a similar window in Europe. And both of them released in low quantities and were largely ignored as the console was dead to most.

sworddude

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2016, 06:21:54 pm »

You could make the argument that all games aren't hidden gems. Especially on a forum like this where some people own 2000 games :D

The term 'hidden gem' is stupid really. Among hardcore gamers none of these games are really hidden. they may be surprises when they first come out but they're not really hidden.

This thread is pretty much about games that don't belong to a well established series/franchise or aren't a Last of Us kind of blockbuster title.

Also depends on your region. The Last Story and Pandora's Tower both came out in a similar window in Europe. And both of them released in low quantities and were largely ignored as the console was dead to most.

Yea sure and chrono trigger is a hidden gem 8)

Operation rainfall titles are not hidden gems I stand by my point even casual collectors know about those titles. You don't need to be a hardcore collector to know about the 3 operation rainfall wii games.

For example all suikoden games are not hidden gems the series is just to popular same goes for the last story It's way to well known. Other examples are grandia series, breath of firem fire emblem etc.

Overboard or azure dreams for ps1 could be considered hidden gems. Even hardcore collectors could agree that no one talks about such games but they do know about them those could be considered hidden gems.

Evolution for gamecube or dreamcast are games that no one talks about. Allot of people do not even know about this rpg series , It's pretty good though. Way less known wich probably means many casual gamer have likely never heard about. Heck probably even allot of rpg gamers don't know this series. Maybe even you don't know about this series.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:31:57 pm by sworddude »

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 06:31:09 pm »

Operation rainfall titles are not hidden gems I stand by my point even casual collectors know about those titles. You don't need to be a hardcore collector to know about the 3 operation rainfall wii games.

All suikoden games are not hidden gems the series is just to well known same goes for the last story It's way to well known.

Overboard or azure dreams for ps1 could be considered hidden gems. Even hardcore collectors could agree that no one talks about such games but they do know about them those could be considered hidden gems.
Chrono Trigger was never a hidden gem as it was made by the same people as Final Fantasy so it was always going to have hype.

I'd say back when they came out, in particular the first Suikoden was a hidden gem. Word of mouth over time has made the title infamous but the price of the first two games shows how hidden a gem they once where. However now there has been six games in the series, it's very much an established franchise, what with having been re-published on the PSN.

I'm an RPG fan so I own both Suikoden and Azure Dreams and played both games at a friend's a long time ago when I was a kid. However outside my circle of fellow RPG fans or fellow collectors; I don't think most people I know who play games will have played either title tbh. They may have noticed Suikoden on the PSN store but doubt they ever bought it.

Again among people like ourselves none of these games are truly hidden gems. We simply breath this stuff.

Also again you ignore regions. We didn't have Operation Rainfall. These games were just released for Wii. Kind of like sleeper releases. I stumbled upon a sole copy of The Last Story in a Virgin Megastores; noticed it was made by Mistwalker. Honestly at the time I paid little attention to the Wii as Nintendo first party titles aside it was generally motion control shovel ware. I went home read up on it, then went back to the store and bought it. Much the same happened with Pandora's Tower, only I decided against buying it as it wasn't for me.

And yes I'm aware of the Evolution series. I once made a list of all the J-RPGs available in the PAL region. Read into each, watching gameplay and such. And had ambitions of buying them all. But I gave up on that endeavor. Far too expensive and wouldn't have the time to play them all anyways. A pipe dream :D

Perhaps a stipulation should have been the game has to have sold less than 1 million copies worldwide via VG Chartz. But then plenty of games listed above, including by me wouldn't be 'hidden gems'.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 2.04 million
Duke Nukem Forever - 2 million
Resonance of Fate - 1.07 million
Vanquish - 1.04 million
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 06:37:27 pm by kmacdw »

sworddude

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2016, 06:47:51 pm »

All suikoden games are not hidden gems the series is just to well known same goes for the last story It's way to well known.

Chrono Trigger was never a hidden gem as it was made by the same people as Final Fantasy so it was always going to have hype.

I'd say back when they came out, in particular the first Suikoden was a hidden gem. Word of mouth over time has made the title infamous but the price of the first two games shows how hidden a gem they once where. However now there has been six games in the series, it's very much an established franchise, what with having been re-published on the PSN.

I'm an RPG fan so I own both Suikoden and Azure Dreams and played both games at a friend's a long time ago when I was a kid. However outside my circle of fellow RPG fans or fellow collectors; I don't think most people I know who play games will have played either title tbh. They may have noticed Suikoden on the PSN store but doubt they ever bought it.

Again among people like ourselves none of these games are truly hidden gems. We simply breath this stuff.

Also again you ignore regions. We didn't have Operation Rainfall. These games were just released for Wii. Kind of like sleeper releases. I stumbled upon a sole copy of The Last Story in a Virgin Megastores; noticed it was made by Mistwalker. Honestly at the time I paid little attention to the Wii as Nintendo first party titles aside it was generally motion control shovel ware. I went home read up on it, then went back to the store and bought it. Much the same happened with Pandora's Tower, only I decided against buying it as it wasn't for me.

And yes I'm aware of the Evolution series. I once made a list of all the J-RPGs available in the PAL region. Read into each, watching gameplay and such. And had ambitions of buying them all. But I gave up on that endeavor. Far too expensive and wouldn't have the time to play them all anyways. A pipe dream :D

Perhaps a stipulation should have been the game has to have sold less than 1 million copies worldwide via VG Chartz. But then plenty of games listed above, including by me wouldn't be 'hidden gems'.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 2.04 million
Duke Nukem Forever - 2 million
Resonance of Fate - 1.07 million
Vanquish - 1.04 million

Games wich have sold over 1million copies could be considered a hidden gem if they are pretty much forgotten or under rated.

However this is an example of the wii rpg trilogy it's to popular to be a hidden gem

Suikoden 1 was a hidden gem however over time it has gotten popular and lost it's hidden gem status with a high fanbase.

Were talking about the present not about the past.

Lost odyssey for xbox 360 is a nice hidden gem. Sold pretty well but pretty much forgotten in the present.