Author Topic: Rank the Star Wars movies  (Read 3487 times)

Rank the Star Wars movies
« on: April 01, 2016, 02:46:17 am »
Was curious to see how everyone ranks the Star Wars films. Feel free to explain why it is ranked where it's at on your list as well if you'd like.

1. Revenge of the Sith - I know it is blasphemy to rank any Star Wars film higher than Empire Strikes Back (wait for it...), but every time I see this movie I love it more than the last time I saw it. It has everything; an excellent plot and character progression, amazing action and lightsaber fights, deep mature themes, and an excellent soundtrack score. I get chills watching this movie and feel amazing after watching it every time. It was only recently that this one climbed to my number one spot, and fighting for years with my number 2 Star Wars film, ultimately beating it because it does everything it does and way more in my opinion.

2. Empire Strikes Back - Here it is, the Star Wars movie that everyone places at the top, and maybe up until a year or so ago it was there for me as well. What can I say about this amazing movie that has not already been said; it's a timeless masterpiece with excellent writing, great fight scenes, a gripping story, and probably the biggest plot twist in movie history. I get mad feels watching this movie, and overall I'd be lying if I said it wasn't right on the heels of Revenge of the Sith in terms of being my favorite Star Wars movie of all time.

3. The Force Awakens - Often considered a remake of the first film, A New Hope, I would partially agree with that, but I feel like it did take what made the first film awesome and ran with many of it's themes an story and did something amazing on its own with those elements. It is definitely very entertaining from start to finish and has some of my favorite characters in the whole franchise, including Rey who is hands down my favorite Star Wars character of all time. I am completely stoked to see where her character goes in future films.

4. Return of the Jedi - Not as memorable or as well written as Empire, where it lacks in substance, it makes up for with awesome space battles, more lightsaber action, and pretty much a lot more flare than Empire Strikes Back. While this flash only goes so far in terms of carrying the movie, it is enough to make this movie better than at least three of the other films. With all that said, the story is good too, just not as interesting as the films ranked higher on the list.

5. The Phantom Menace - I am going to come right out and say, yes, I have a lot of nostalgia for this film which maybe the reason it ranks higher than a couple of the other films (one which I often get massive shit for), but beyond that it did have some awesome things including an introduction (a decent one at that) to several of the most important characters in the entire franchise. The pod racer scene is still awesome to watch, as is quite possibly the best lightsaber duel in the entire series. Yes, Jar Jar is stupid, yes, the whole "the force are organisms" is facepalm worthy, and yes, the pacing of this film is terrible at times, but it's still a fun movie to watch.

6. A New Hope - I feel like I always have to explain myself thoroughly when I tell people that the film that started it all is ranked as my second least favorite Star Wars film. No, A New Hope is not a bad film, not at all, in fact it's an awesome start to one of the best franchises ever conceived. However, it ranking so low has to do with the fact that the movie in general has aged terribly imo, even with the Special Edition adding some modern flare and effects. I also feel like it might be the least entertaining in terms of action. There is also a lot that is not explained right away which takes away from some of the urgency of what is going on in the film. I do really enjoy watching this film, but it almost borders on me having to be in the mood given it's lack of appeal on several levels.

7. Attack of the Clones - The only genuinely bad Star Wars film imo, this film is ruined by bad acting, bad story, bad pacing, and overall a forgettable experience that is only redeemed by a few noteworthy scenes that still pale in comparison to similar scenes in other films in the series. The film leaves a lot to be desired and I typically only watch this film as simply a way to fill in the gads between Episode I and III.

Re: Rank the Star Wars movies
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 03:36:31 am »
-Empire Strikes Back
-Force Awakens
-A New Hope
-Return of the Jedi
-Revenge of the Sith
-Attack of the Clones
-Phantom Menace

Phantom Menace will always be butts.  Pure butts.  I think the only thing that was mildly good, was the final fight between Maul, Kenobi, and Jinn.  Maybe pod racing, but I completely disagree that those make up for what is a HUGE failure of a movie.  I'll take Attack of the Clones any day over Phantom Menace, primarily so I don't have to listen to that stupid little kid try to act lol And Jar Jar...because screw Jar Jar.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 05:18:00 am »
Empire
New Hope
Jedi
Force Awakens

That's it. There are only four Star Wars movies.

tripredacus

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 10:33:16 am »
1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. A New Hope
5. Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones
7. The Force Awakens (only saw it once and not an optimal showing)
8. Clone Wars
9. Family Guy: Blue Harvest
10. Ewoks: Caravan of Courage (haven't seen since the 80s, nearly no memory)
11. Ewoks: The Battle For Endor (same)
12. Ewoks: The Haunted Village: UGGGH

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 10:39:12 am »
1. Return of the Jedi (95)
2. Empire Strikes Back (94)
3. Force Awakens (90)
4. A New Hope (80)
5. Revenge of the Sith (70)
6. Attack of the Clones (60)
7. Phantom Menace (55)

Beside my ranking I've put what I'd give each movie out of 100.

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 02:40:17 pm »
1. Backstroke of the West ( that Revenge of the Sith Chinese bootleg)

gf78

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:21:00 pm »
Just the films themselves.

1.  Empire Strikes Back
2.  The Force Awakens
3.  A New Hope
4.  Revenge of the Sith
5.  Return of the Jedi
6.  Attack of the Clones
7.  The Phantom Menace

Having gone back and re-watched the Phantom Menace twice now, it does have some redeeming qualities.  However, these can't make up for the overall lackluster film as a whole.  High points of the movie include:

The final battle with Darth Maul.  He was a very powerful presence in the film and his skills with the lightsaber were unreal.  Ray Park kicks ass.

And..............yeah...I can't think of anything else right now. 

I have to highly recommend The Clone Wars and Rebels animated series.  They are fantastic. 

I also have to point out that the last 30 minutes of Return of the Jedi are the most epic in the series for me.  The Super Star Destroyer falls into the Death Star, then when the shields go down you have that badass close-up of Wedge and Lando flying the Falcon and X-wing, weaving between towers and finally nosediving into the exposed shaft.  Luke battles Vader, almost turning to the dark side and the music during this climactic battle sends chills down my spine every time.  Vader being burned as is Jedi tradition was quite a poignant moment when finally, I felt a connection to this bad guy who terrorized the good guys (looking at it from my perspective back in '83) and genuinely felt bad for him.  Even the Ewoks dancing like stooges couldn't ruin that moment. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 03:27:21 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Force Awakens
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Return of the Jedi
6. Attack of the Clones
7. Phantom Menace

My only "controversial" Star Wars opinion is Revenge of the Sith is above Return of the Jedi in my rankings.  It could be since I was two years old when the prequel series started, so the prequels have always been a part of the franchise for me.  I don't have a kneejerk negative reaction when they are mentioned (Although in general I far prefer the originals).  While I don't think AotC or PM are very good, I genuinely enjoy watching RotS.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 04:54:53 pm by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 04:54:17 pm »
I was 13 when The Phantom Menace came out, but I never really got into it even then.  I think I was more lenient on certain things than I am now, but I remember not caring as much for it.  I was more appreciative of the games, like Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, along with a couple others I think. 

I do generally like Revenge of the Sith though, I think it's the only really watchable one of the prequels, but I have more respect for the originals, which I had watched before I saw the prequels.

aliensstudios

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 11:28:14 pm »
Return of the Jedi
Empire Strikes Back
Revenge of the Sith
Star Wars (A New Hope)
The Phantom Menace
The Force Awakens
The Clone Wars
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

theflea

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 05:04:40 am »
- The Empire Strikes Back (duh)
- A New Hope
- Return of the Jedi
- The Force Awakens
- Revenge of the Sith
- Attack of the Clones
- Phantom Menace
"Happy game hunting!!!"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 05:25:55 am »
Empire
Jedi
Force Awakens
A new hope
Revenge of the sith
Phantom menace
Clone Wars

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:04:03 pm »
1. Revenge of the Sith
2. Return of the Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. A new Hope
5. Force Awakens
6. Phantom Menace
7. Attack of the clones.

deftommo

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2016, 07:05:02 am »
Empire
New Hope
Jedi
Force Awakens

That's it. There are only four Star Wars movies.

I like your thinking, although I have a different order.

Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Force Awakens
New Hope

stealthrush

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 10:02:31 pm »
1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Phantom Menace
7. Force Awakens

I was 11 when Phantom Menace came out, didn't care to watch the film series until Attack of the Clones was released. Watched the classic films, prequels leading up to Revenge of the Sith. The Force Awakens was a pathetic knockoff to 'reboot' the film legacy.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:06:05 pm by stealthrush »