Author Topic: Annoying things people ask us about your gaming hobby/gaming collection.  (Read 7973 times)

"Someone has way too much time on their hands."
Ugh, this one.  Got this a lot from most adults as a child.  Also, I'd get that from some friends when I would tell them I beat a game within a week of release.

My brother actually just did this to me after I told him I beat like 80% of the Assassin's Creed franchise and I only started back in April.

kashell

Ugh, this one.  Got this a lot from most adults as a child.  Also, I'd get that from some friends when I would tell them I beat a game within a week of release.

My brother actually just did this to me after I told him I beat like 80% of the Assassin's Creed franchise and I only started back in April.

Isn't it awful? These days, I always need to have a rebuttal ready just in case I'm meeting new folks and tell them of my gaming accomplishments.

Isn't it awful? These days, I always need to have a rebuttal ready just in case I'm meeting new folks and tell them of my gaming accomplishments.
My response usually involves me insulting the other person.

kashell

Nice. Any quips you have that you enjoy defaulting to? I usually go with, "Oh really. Weren't you the one who told me that you binge watched [insert random show here]?!"

rayne315

Nice. Any quips you have that you enjoy defaulting to? I usually go with, "Oh really. Weren't you the one who told me that you binge watched [insert random show here]?!"

my rebuttle usually involves mentioning to them "I know, it must be so hard for you to find time when you have to watch 5 hours of tv a night"
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

Usually something along the lines of not sucking at video games, making good money, or not having to work overtime.  My brother makes way more money than me, but he also works 50-70 hour work weeks.

kashell

Those are some good ones. I'll have to remember those.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 10:49:18 am by kashell »

necrosexual

"do you plan to ever play all of those?"
no, honestly, no. i'm a collector first, not a player. sorry not sorry.

"why not just sell them?"
nah

"you must just play games all the time"
i draw and write too. and work a fuckload.
so no

"what's your favourite game?"
my brain scatters and i go blank-faced at this one. for a lot of reasons.
i never answer this with anything other than a shrug.

"so do you own [game]?"
probably not, because i don't play (therefore, i don't collect) AAA garbage, and 90% of the time, [game] is an overblown AAA title

"do you just buy random games?"
no, i collect, but i'm broke too. i only collect atm games i know i'll probably enjoy to some degree.
mainly jrpgs tho.
i'd love to be able to collect random games, i just can't afford that, so i have to prioritise my cash. if i know i won't like it, i probably won't buy it, and it's partially why i haven't really gotten into retro collecting yet (too much crap on old consoles to have to dig through and i don't have the time rn to do checks while i'm out. i'll just stick to more modern collecting for now)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:38:21 am by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

swordndaggergames

Will you ever actually play all of these? Another one that pisses me off is how much have you spent on all this?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

When my wife asks me why I spend so much on games and comics, I replied with: "How much have you spent on clothes?"

koal0313

the bane of all questions ever asked of me "whats your favorite game?" all of them thats why there in my collection

HarvestDude

A lot of people have made me questions about my gaming habits and collection in all these years too, but most were innocent questions from people who just aren't close to gaming. So answering them didn't annoyed me at all in most cases (price? why so many? favorite game? where can i get one like yours?). People who actually come to know my collection personally are usually very pleased to see those games, either by the collection itself of by pure nostalgia.

Of course, some of them are really annyoing but they are a very small percentage. Some of the questions and opinions were:

"You should stop playing that, you're too old for those toys"

"Why don't you sell your collection and buy a car?" (why people don't sell their cars and buy games?)

"This is an old game, so i will only pay you 5 dollars (wanting a rare $100 game)"

"This is an addiction and you should drop it."

"Who cares for those puny games? You should practice sports." ¬¬

"Games are a waste of time, you learn nothing from them!"

"Do you have violent games? The make people violent. They are absurd and should be banned forever." (what about violent movies? books? evening news?)

"Video games are for people who are lazy and don't want to think."

"Games make people anti-social beings. Are you that anti-social?" (do why does videogames always had a second controller port? and what about online gaming?)

"How does your wife/girlfriend actually approves that?"

I don't mind explaning or answering people when i see they just are curious and are not close to gaming, i neved did. In fact, i've always wished people could see games with as much love as i do. So, as it happens with all of you, what really annoys me is intolerance and prejudice. And they are not gaming exclusivities.

HarvestDude™

dashv

PRO Supporter

the bane of all questions ever asked of me "whats your favorite game?" all of them thats why there in my collection

^ yes.

(Walking into the room while I'm playing a game), "What game are you playing?"

For some reason this question frustrates the hell out of me.  The only time it's okay is if it's a fellow gamer and they just don't recognize the game immediately.  But this is less than 1% of the time.  And even then wait more than .5 seconds and you might just figure it out.  In every other case, it's a non gamer usually trying to start small talk, or just engage me somehow, because heaven forbid a moment of 'awkward silence'.  If you don't recognize the game, then what information do you hope to glean from the title?  Knowing the title is worthless information for a non gamer.  Not to mention that you'll forget it one second after I tell you.  If you wish to chat about the game, here are some more acceptable questions:
"What kind of game is that?"
"How do you play?" or "What are your goals?"
"Is it fun?"-still a stupid question, but at least you'll learn something useful from the answer.
Or even "Which guy are you?" - "Um, it's a strategy game, I'm every guy."  ;)

If you just want to chat, simply ask to talk about something.  I'll gladly pause or even turn off my game so we can talk about something you care about.

Sometimes this one is gold though.  My wife walked into the living room while I was Playing Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia, right when this scene came about.  Our eyes met, there was this awkward silence. Then that question drops with a hint of worry in her voice.  I couldn't resist I just started laughing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoODv8LVib8
Hahahhaaha. I haven't laughed that hard in a while.