Author Topic: What is The Rarest Game You Own?  (Read 7719 times)

kashell

Re: What is The Rarest Game You Own?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2016, 09:00:20 am »
@turom: Daaaaamn, the PAL version of Panzer Dragoon Saga is gorgeous. That's a keeper!

Link

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2016, 09:07:21 am »
I have a copy of Pac-Man for Neo Geo Pocket. Which isn't so rare, but instructions are personally signed by Toru Iwatani during Games Week 2015 in Milan.

It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.

/
                       |
O========|[[>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                       |
                        \

tripredacus

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2016, 10:26:20 am »
Most of the scarcer games in my collection are older PC and home computer titles. It's hard to believe the likes of Spectrum, C64, Amiga and others sold millions of copies of games considering how hard they are to find now. Old PC stuff in particular is extremely difficult to find in the wild.

I purposely did not mention any computer games. They exist in a market that has very few collectors in it, and where a lot of releases are not documented. They fall into the "uncommon to find for sale, unknown value attached" category of things. Things that have a value, but the demand is so low that it has no market value. Thus having the appearance of being rare.

shfan

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2016, 10:48:01 am »
Yeah, it's extremely difficult to guess what the production run might have been on a lot of them so adding the effect of them being culled by time makes it even trickier. It's great to come across games you haven't even heard of complete and in good condition.

For consoles my rarer/more valuable titles would be some sealed EU Wii games (M. Prime trilogy, Klonoa, some others), Rule of Rose PS2 (French), a combination of Essential Games/505 Games PS2 releases and some of the more obscure titles in my PS1 library (stuff like Azure Dreams, Eternal Eyes, Tron Bonne, Devil's Deception). I have a few Limited Run games (playing Breach & Clear Deadline and loving it!), as well as some other obscure Wii titles like Dokapon Kingdom (German) and several others.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2016, 11:09:02 am »
As others have said, I mainly collect for the games and not for the rarity, so I don't really pursue rare stuff. However, I was able to get a few high-priced games before they went up in value, especially some of the SNES stuff which I bought online just before they really shot up.

NES - Mega Man 6, S.C.A.T., Shadow of the Ninja, Shatterhand
SNES - Castlevania Dracula X, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Captain Commando, Mega Man 7, Mega Man X 1-3
GB - Mega Man V
PS1 - Castlevania Chronicles, Arc the Lad Collection, Lunar Eternal Blue Complete
N64 - Clay Fighter 63 1/3: Sculptor's Cut
Gamecube - Twilight Princess
Dreamcast - Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Saturn - (all Japanese imports) X-Men vs SF, Marvel Super Heroes vs SF, Vampire Savior
I also have a handful of Nintendo Game & Watches, including Zelda

Here's a pic I took last year...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:28:31 am by undertakerprime »

aliensstudios

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2016, 12:11:03 pm »
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I own Super Noah's Ark 3D
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2016, 04:53:34 pm »
The most expensive game I own is a mint complete copy of Team Buddies for Ps1, I believe it's fairly rare.  I've been able to track down a lot of the rarer ps1 games the last few years and I'm attempting to get more as the prices have begin to jump drastically.  Some games have jumped 200-400% in the past 6 months alone. 

Oh and I do have a copy of Rule of Rose for ps2, picked it up for cheap back when Gamestop was clearancing ps2 stuff.  Probably my best score in pure value. 

In terms of most unusual/rare item, I have a copy of Blast Chamber for Ps1 that looks normal at first glance, but when you boot it up, the game Street Racer PS1 loads instead.  The disc looks legit but there must have been a pressing error before release that mixed the two games up.  I have not been able to find much information on this disc through google.  I got it through a retro store that didn't even try the game out, otherwise they would have had the same bizarre reaction I had. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 04:55:21 pm by NickAwesome »

pizzasafari

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2016, 05:16:16 pm »
I'm not really sure, there's a fair amount of stuff I own I haven't really seen much of but when you're in the UK and most rarity guides are for American releases it's kind of hard to work out what is and isn't rare in my collection.

I don't know if it's my actual rarest but the gem of my collection is probably my Panzer Dragoon Saga. I won it in an Ebay auction for about £150 and it's in fantastic quality. I was really surprised when it turned up how well kept it is.

Definitely not rare per se but quite pricey, I have The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past complete on SNES.

I have the first Lunar game on PS1, I don't think it's as valuable as Panzer Dragoon Saga but it's probably worth mentioning. It's especially hard to get over here without importing.

I also have a big box edition of Final Fantasy VIII on PS1, I don't know if it's rare but it seems to sell for a fair bit and I've really struggled to find out anything about it. I've found a few sale listings for it but that's about it.

Also I don't have it yet but I've backed Bloodstained and got the signed Collector's Edition tier, so that will probably be the rarest game I own once it's released.

I might have more impressive stuff than that but I'm not sure how to find out. I like to buy up the more sought after games on consoles but as far as I can tell the above are the most valuable.

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2016, 08:18:45 pm »
Tomba and Tomba 2 I'd have to say are my rarest.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2016, 08:31:16 am »
@turom: Daaaaamn, the PAL version of Panzer Dragoon Saga is gorgeous. That's a keeper!

That's my favorite piece in my collection! (more pics)

And the sweet thing is by unlocking it with the correct AR code it runs in NTSC mode on a NTSC Saturn, exactly like an US version, but with that glorious packaging.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:55:03 am by turom »
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2016, 08:40:00 am »
Is Rarity guide a good site to check rarity?  Some of the numbers don't look quite right.

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2016, 10:20:02 am »
A lot of people seem to confound rarity with value. Sure, a lot of rare games are also valuable, but a game's rarity (ie, how difficult it is to find) really has nothing to do with how valuable it is.

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2016, 10:47:51 am »
A lot of people seem to confound rarity with value. Sure, a lot of rare games are also valuable, but a game's rarity (ie, how difficult it is to find) really has nothing to do with how valuable it is.
I.E. Earthbound.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 11:13:26 am »
Is Rarity guide a good site to check rarity?  Some of the numbers don't look quite right.

I think it hasn't been updated since 2013.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 11:31:53 am »
I.E. Earthbound.

To be fair i've seen more copies of panzer dragoon Saga than I have Earthbounds in person
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:34:00 am by redblaze57 »