Author Topic: Panzer Dragoon Saga: is it REALLY worth $500+?  (Read 4936 times)

sin2beta

Re: Panzer Dragoon Saga: is it REALLY worth $500+?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2016, 09:53:22 pm »
Off topic: Can a game not be reverse engineered to get the source code?  I'm asking because really don't know.

It can. However, the Saturn hardware is a pain in the ass to understand. There is still not a good emulator. YABAUSE has made some progress but still pretty bad. And understanding the hardware is where reverse engineering is made possible.

For well understood hardware, source code is reverse engineered. Still not always easy, so it is usually just the popular games. The source code for the sonic games are readily found with a google search for instance.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2016, 10:51:34 pm »
I don't think I can think of any game that would really be worth $500 lol When you are getting games at that price, I think it comes down to how badly you really want something for your collection rather than whether it's a good game or not, though there are cases where I think it's harder to justify a crazy expensive bad game, to a crazy expensive good game. (Like Flinstones compared to Little Samson).

Flashback2012

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2016, 01:26:45 am »
Ugh. Seeing this thread makes me regret not buying more copies of the game YEARS ago when Toys R Us was clearing them out for $20 each.  :P

I picked mine up at launch because I pre-ordered it from EB Games. My friends all thought they'd be able to get one easily and thought I was giving EB free money to earn interest on but when the game came out they were all scrambling to source a copy while I just walked in, picked up, and walked out.  ;)

Killer game though I never finished it (I think I am at the near end of disc 2?  ???). I remember that was one heck of a send off for the Saturn in the US with that game, Shining Force III, Burning Rangers, and Magic Knight RayEarth.  ;)

spac316

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2016, 03:06:28 am »
Glad I bought it 15 years ago for $150+...that's still pricey but compared to now, I lucked out.

But yeah, no game is worth that much, no matter how good it is. Whether it's Eathbound, Little Samson or Cotton(TG16) I don't see myself forking over that amount of cash for one game.
It's ridiculous!  :-\

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2016, 05:08:23 am »
In my opinion it is. I had the chance to play it at the time it came out and since then it has never been matched by any Role Playing Game for me.

The price tag is justified, it's an awesome game, it has an aura unlike any other, emulation for this game is unstable - yes i'm looking at you Sestren boss cutscenes crashing SSF emulator - and of course not much people are willing to sell it, making the few copies + lost source-code factors raising the price. It's just the law of the market and the price tag is still low compared to a lot of NG-AES games.

BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

kashell

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2016, 09:25:14 am »
In my opinion it is. I had the chance to play it at the time it came out and since then it has never been matched by any Role Playing Game for me.

I've played tons of RPGs in my life, and this statement right here is what really resonates with me regarding the game. It really is unlike anything else in the genre, or in terms of being a video game.

stlgamer75

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 09:02:46 am »
For me the answer is simple, no. I am not willing to pay $500 for a game no matter how good or how iconic or the history behind it, therefore it is not worth it.....to me. I'm also saying that as a man with other financial responsibilities that prevent me from spending this kind of money on a video game/piece of art. If I was single and wealthy (or just child-less and wealthy, lol) I might have decided it is worth it to me. After all, I do love my Saturn and it's one of my favorite systems to collect for and this is THE game to own for it so I think your personal circumstances have a lot to do with your decision on its worth.
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2016, 10:29:55 am »
For me the answer is simple, no. I am not willing to pay $500 for a game no matter how good or how iconic or the history behind it, therefore it is not worth it.....to me. I'm also saying that as a man with other financial responsibilities that prevent me from spending this kind of money on a video game/piece of art. If I was single and wealthy (or just child-less and wealthy, lol) I might have decided it is worth it to me. After all, I do love my Saturn and it's one of my favorite systems to collect for and this is THE game to own for it so I think your personal circumstances have a lot to do with your decision on its worth.

This. $500 could be better spent, when you have a family and responsibilities. Even if not, I find it hard-pressed to spend $500 on any game. Any single game over $100 would fall in that category, for me.

stlgamer75

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 06:31:52 pm »

This. $500 could be better spent, when you have a family and responsibilities. Even if not, I find it hard-pressed to spend $500 on any game. Any single game over $100 would fall in that category, for me.

I literally bust out laughing when I see how much ebayers are asking BIN prices for a game like Magical Chase. Right now it's posted with a BIN price of $99,999.99 as well as a more "affordable" version at $11,000.

dreama1

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2016, 08:43:12 pm »

Or video games in general.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 06:22:25 pm »

Very true however this can be said for every hobby not for retro gaming exclusively.

I must say though I highly doubt many would say the same thing if they had plenty of money.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:24:40 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

stlgamer75

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 10:59:37 am »

Very true however this can be said for every hobby not for retro gaming exclusively.

I must say though I highly doubt many would say the same thing if they had plenty of money.

For sure....I'd already own a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, Snatcher and a nearly complete TG16 library if money was no object. Still not sure I could drop 5 figures for Magical Chase though. ;-)