Author Topic: Which console do you think had the best game cases?  (Read 5165 times)

Re: Which console do you think had the best game cases?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2016, 09:32:17 am »
As someone who built their own shelves, specifically DVD sized shelves... I hate the longbox games.  Don't get me wrong, they are beautiful when they aren't broken, but there is so much wrong with them and they are such a weird size.

Every time I pick up a longbox PS1 or a Saturn/Sega CD game, the cases are always chipped and cracked or the front cover is falling off the hinges. It really wasn't a good design.
They don't ship or store well.  It's an absolute mind boggle that any of these cases survived shipping to brick and mortar stores way back when.

But honestly, I do think that minty longbox PS1, SCD, and SAT games are absolutely beautiful.  Of course though, Sony had to be weird and produce 3-4 different style long boxes.  The half cardboard half plastic, the SCD style clear plastic, the hard plastic black ones, and I want to say there was one with physical ridges on it.

kashell

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2016, 10:39:51 am »
I think Saturn cases look great, but they are so fragile.

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2016, 07:18:09 pm »
I'd probably say PS4 cases. Small but elegant, I like the dark blue colour but thankfully it's not too overt and allows the boxart to shine and works well with most of them. And so far they all seem to be uniform with regards to the PS4 logo. Just a shame they dpn't come with any manuals to help them balance better or give them weight.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 09:53:27 pm »
Ready for an odd-ball answer?

I think the PS3 Greatest Hits cases are the best.  I dig the red. 

Runner up is the Sega Master System.  I love the look of all those grid cases.  Then there's Rampage.  That thing sticks out like a big, red, sore thumb.

Nowadays, all the systems have their own color. I like that.  It makes shelves look neat.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2016, 10:11:08 pm »
I've seen more than one Master System answer. I'm surprised. I always thought they had some of the most boring boxes ever: Same white, grid design; and usually some pretty amateur artwork on the front.

Warmsignal

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 01:04:50 am »
They don't ship or store well.  It's an absolute mind boggle that any of these cases survived shipping to brick and mortar stores way back when.

I actually believe that product packing in general used to be better for items like these being shipped. Since everyone is cutting corners and trying to abandon physical media, they just don't care as much. I've noticed of the past few years, it's common to come across brand-new CDs where the jewel case either has small cracks or is completely split, new games that have suffered punctures through to the artwork, new dvd box sets that are all smashed up on the corners, etc. Used to be that anything brand-new was in perfect condition. Not so anymore. Doesn't seem to matter and I guess the consumers agree.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2016, 09:02:32 am »
I've seen more than one Master System answer. I'm surprised. I always thought they had some of the most boring boxes ever: Same white, grid design; and usually some pretty amateur artwork on the front.

I love the goofy artwork.  Pro-Wrestling is one of my favorites.

http://vgcollect.com/item/11338

sworddude

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2016, 02:15:11 pm »
GBA

Especially the better games wich usually have nice art on the sides instead of the title also if we only speak of the cases since for cover art I'd say some other consoles have the win.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:29:25 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2016, 02:34:28 pm »

That is one bare-bones cover. A prime example of what I was saying.

sworddude

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2016, 04:25:30 pm »

That is one bare-bones cover. A prime example of what I was saying.

Every console has it's bad cover arts plenty of good ones on the master system with the classy art wich is usually different compared to the 16 bit era here to show a few.

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/game-box-art-covers/Sega/Master-System/M/Master%20of%20Darkness%20(2).jpg

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/game-box-art-covers/Sega/Master-System/S/Sagaia.jpg

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/4/7/9/27479_front.jpg

To be fair I'd rather have that bare bones sega master system cover art than this monstrosity.

http://nintendoagemedia.com/users/19995/photobucket/7A787D2C-D922-9A25-ABEB102884CEF073.png
Your Stylish Sword Master!

desocietas

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2016, 07:16:30 pm »
As easy as they are to crush, I also have to give some love to the GBA boxes. The bright colorful artwork on them just looks so good, and I love finding a pristine box for the shelf. Reminds me of a nostalgic days, and it's nice to know that someone took care of that item for all those years.

Otherwise, I do love seeing the spots for memory cards or GBA carts in the PS2 and DS cases.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

shepard11

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 12:18:39 am »
I'm kinda a fan of the PSP cases. They easily fit in an amazon media box. And I love the way the look on my shelf. But Goddess forbid if the little tab breaks in the inside of the case. They are such a pain to find replaces for them that aren't jacked up.

spac316

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2016, 02:29:40 am »
I always liked the Genesis clam shell cases, especially the older black grid design over their later red strip, cardboard cases.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2016, 08:41:52 am »
Definitely NEO-GEO AES overall.

I love SFC boxes, they look glorious but are too damn fragile, on the other hand PS3/60/4/WiiU boxes are indeed the most durable and practical but they are less stylish.. AES wins again my friends.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

pizzasafari

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2016, 07:59:41 pm »
In terms of looks, I quite like the PS1 cases we have in the UK. That might just be because of nostalgia but I really like how they look on shelves. Looks like a little box of fun. And our Saturn cases look nice on a shelf but in practice they're absolutely terrible. Probably one of the most unsafe things you can possibly keep a game disc in. And so easy to damage...

I've never actually seen one in real life but I really like how the US Saturn cases look on a shelf too. Something about how big and chunky they are. And how clear the game logo is on the side. And the fact that they actually bloody close unlike our Saturn cases. Bleugh.