Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 61600 times)

kashell

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #330 on: June 22, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »
Croc: Legend of the Gobbos review is up.

« Reply #331 on: June 22, 2017, 02:12:10 pm »
29. Shenmue

What did you think?
I recently acquired this so I'd like to hear some input on it as well.

I LOVED it! It's my favorite youtuber's (Naito75, a french youtuber) favorite game and I always wanted to try it out! I bought a dreamcast just for it and it's by far the most expensive game I bought (around 90-100$, and I usually buy my games used so i felt it lol).
At first when I started the game, I was not really into it but after 1-2 hours of playing I was finally getting the game and truly started to appreciate it! I loved the graphics, the bad english and overall the whole vibe of the game! It's definitely an experience and you really have to play the game imo to see how good it is! I bought an original xbox a few months ago and was planning to buy Shenmue 2 for it but I ended buying Jet Set Radio Future instead! It's definitely one of the top game on my wishlist rn tho!

« Reply #332 on: June 22, 2017, 02:51:57 pm »
29. Shenmue

What did you think?

I LOVED it! It's my favorite youtuber's (Naito75, a french youtuber) favorite game and I always wanted to try it out! I bought a dreamcast just for it and it's by far the most expensive game I bought (around 90-100$, and I usually buy my games used so i felt it lol).
At first when I started the game, I was not really into it but after 1-2 hours of playing I was finally getting the game and truly started to appreciate it! I loved the graphics, the bad english and overall the whole vibe of the game! It's definitely an experience and you really have to play the game imo to see how good it is! I bought an original xbox a few months ago and was planning to buy Shenmue 2 for it but I ended buying Jet Set Radio Future instead! It's definitely one of the top game on my wishlist rn tho!

Yay!!! It always makes me happy to hear when someone enjoys it. It is my favorite game of all time, and you definitely need to play the 2nd one too. I usually lump them together, but I like the 2nd one slightly more. The game is a masterpiece, bad voice acting and all lol

« Reply #333 on: June 23, 2017, 11:38:03 pm »
28 - Dead Rising 4 (PC 2016) - PLAYING - This was a game I abandoned last year after I had it run so poorly for me.  I was playing it from the Windows 10 store, which is garbage, and it just kept getting progressively worse, so I dropped it and got a refund.  Over 6 months later, it's on Steam and 30 bucks off, and it runs totally fine! I know some people hate this game and I understand why, but I still think it's a good zombie game, at least from what I remember before and what I've put back into it now.  There are things that I think are better than what the series previously did, though it kinda lost too much of it's survival style, but I feel like this could be better than Dead Rising 3 for sure.  I really hate that they abandoned the idea of Psycho's though.  Technically they still exist with Maniacs, but they have no cinematics or character to them really, so they feel half-assed.

shfan

« Reply #334 on: June 24, 2017, 05:15:22 pm »
@Ignition: Thanks for your input, I don't want to go against the spirit of the thing so I appreciate you taking the time. To be fair the arcade mode of both those games totally outclassed me, so I won't count them as part of this, there are other games that I'll be able to add as beat here soon (hopefully!).

« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »
28 - Dead Rising 4 (PC 2016) - BEAT - Ended up burning through this one fairly quick and overall, it's a good zombie game, it gets too much shit for basically not being Dead Rising 1 or 2, which in some ways is unfair.  In other ways, it is fair, because due to the game being more of an action game since DR3, it looses depth.  I for one think going open world and losing the mission timer was the best, that should never, ever, come back and it's why I never go back to replay DR1, 2, and Off the Record.  On the other hand, it's far too lenient with gear, the combo system, upgrades, guns are everywhere and far too useful, health is too simple, it's just lacking impact.  Then there's the fact that there are no more entertaining characters or bosses, it's all really one note.  It could be said that it's trying to be more "real", but West, despite a new look and voice, is still very cartoonish in his attitude and quips.  It's out of place and cartoonish is what this series should be.  Bring back over the top bad guys, and bring back the Psycho's.

29 - Persona 5 (PS4 2017) - PLAYING - Since the only games coming up for me over the next month are kinda simple games like the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy and Splatoon 2, I thought I'd grab something with more HEFT to it and not many singleplayer games have that HEFT like an RPG that takes generally 100 hours to beat lol I've been sorta split on whether I would grab this or not, as I played through Tokyo Mirage Sessions and eventually fell out of that, which is very similar in style to this, but Persona 5 already feels way more engaging and it's a glorious visual treat with its style, more so than even what I liked with TMS, but this oozes style in everything. Hoping the game is good throughout the experience as it's off to a solid start.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:55:59 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2017, 08:32:57 pm »
29. Shenmue

What did you think?

Yay!!! It always makes me happy to hear when someone enjoys it. It is my favorite game of all time, and you definitely need to play the 2nd one too. I usually lump them together, but I like the 2nd one slightly more. The game is a masterpiece, bad voice acting and all lol

I heard the second one was better from a lot of people so I'm actually really interested! I don't want to get the dreamcast version tho because I heard the voice acting was in Japanese and I think the English voice acting is actually a big part of why the game is good lol

1. Watch Dogs 2
2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
7. Saints Row 3
8. Watch Dogs
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Donkey Kong Country 2
11. Tomb Raider
12. Aggressive Inline
13. Hitman Season 1
14. SSX 3
15. The Wolf Among Us
16. Donkey Kong Country
17. Unravel
18. Never Alone
19. Shadow of the Colossus
20. Fragments of Him
21. Blackwood Crossing
22. Ryse : Son of Rome
23. The Warriors
24. Murdered : Soul Suspect
25. Donkey Kong Country 3
26. Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
27. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
28. L.A Noire
29. Shenmue
30. Grand Theft Auto V

« Reply #337 on: June 28, 2017, 03:35:48 am »
Got my wisdom teeth out yesterday and have been home recovering since. Excellent opportunity to play some games without having to worry about much else. In the past 24-hours I've spent ample time with these titles, all STGs. This will surely go down as the year of the SHMUP for me lol

42. Gigawing 2 (Dreamcast): I will begin by saying that this game has some pretty cool features; I really like the 3D backgrounds and some of the ship design, as well as how each fighter you can select handles different, and has different shot types and different bomb attacks. The controls are also very smooth and precise, however this is kind of where the enjoyable aspects stop. The biggest issue with this game is one of its key gameplay mechanics which is let down severely by an very long lag, which in a game like this is unacceptable; I died far too many times because the bullet absorb attack, which is required to get through most of this game took nearly a full second to initialize between the time my finger hit the button for it and when it actually started. The other issue I have is regarding just how underwhelming and bland this game is. If it's main mechanic actually worked well and the enemy/boss variety was better then this game would have been far more fun but instead it just sort of stayed in the "meh" territory for me. (6/27/17)

43. Gunbird 2 (Dreamcast): Because this game was made by Psikyo, one my my least favorite SHMUP devs I didn't expect to be a huge fan of this game, and you know what, I was right. This is not my first outing with Gunbird 2; since purchasing it about 5-years ago I have returned to it again and again hoping that I'll like it the next time I play it, but it simply falls flat on me every time. The game is absurdly imbalanced and aside from some good sprite work and somewhat catchy music, the game itself is unremarkable boarding frustrating almost constantly. The later stages in particular are a huge mess, especially with the game sending you back to the beginning of the stage in the later levels if you use a continue. This is not a game I enjoy or would recommend. (6/27/17)

44. Soukyugurentai (Saturn): Before playing Soukyugurentai I assumed I would like it, but I did not expect to fall in love with this game as much as I did. There are very few shooters that have keep me on the edge of my seat like this one. Also, the games homing attack, of which there are two, add a layer of depth to the gameplay that very few other SHMUPs can match. The challenge is fair, the balancing is great, and the enemies, bosses, and stages are varied and interesting. Since getting this last week I have had a hard time putting it down and it is definitely a top five STG for me. (6/27/17)

45. Mushihimesama (PS2): First and foremost the presentation in this game is outstanding. Graphically and the cool, unique art style of insect and plant type enemies is a breath of fresh air in a genre dominated by space ships, disks that shoot lasers, and the occasional mech enemy. The soundtrack here is also really good as well. Gameplaywise is where this game sort of unravels a bit though; this game takes bullet hell to a whole new level, often throwing an insane amount of projectiles at you to the point of absolute absurdity, especially in the maniac and ultra difficulty settings. The game compensates for this by giving your character an ultra small hit box that will at times seem like you just passed right through an enemy bullet. While this is all fine and dandy, a significant portion of getting through this game without dying seems largely in part to luck, almost just as much as skill. If it were not for the deliberate need to manage the enemy crowds and having a general of idea of where you needed to be in general to avoid getting destroyed, this game would be a mindless, imbalanced piece of crap, which it certainly is not, but still, too much is left up to hoping you don't get hit in a series of seemingly hopeless scenarios that give you little option than to just move around and hope for the best. Maybe not worth its glorious reputation, but certainly an STG worth checking out and experiencing. (6/28/17)

« Reply #338 on: July 01, 2017, 03:29:42 am »
1. Watch Dogs 2
2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
7. Saints Row 3
8. Watch Dogs
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Donkey Kong Country 2
11. Tomb Raider
12. Aggressive Inline
13. Hitman Season 1
14. SSX 3
15. The Wolf Among Us
16. Donkey Kong Country
17. Unravel
18. Never Alone
19. Shadow of the Colossus
20. Fragments of Him
21. Blackwood Crossing
22. Ryse : Son of Rome
23. The Warriors
24. Murdered : Soul Suspect
25. Donkey Kong Country 3
26. Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams
27. Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit
28. L.A Noire
29. Shenmue
30. Grand Theft Auto V
31. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

Also started posting small reviews on my first post here
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,7980.msg133797.html#msg133797

« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2017, 01:26:29 am »
30 - Crash Bandicoot (PS4 2017) - BEAT - A short but sweet game with more than a few reminders that this certainly was a mid-90's, PS1 era, 3D platformer lol Generally the game is pretty well done, but then randomly there are some absurdly hard levels that make me question the design decisions of Naughty Dog back in the day.  I would say like under a dozen of the levels can get annoying, and like nearly 3 or 4 are just serious WTF in terms of what I think just have some bad design.  You can usually tell when the challenge is there and well designed and fun and when it's you fighting with the camera angle or the level is just god damn awful.  High Road, go screw yourself, you are the worst level ever.  I died on this one level literally 50 times minimum, which is more than the entire game.

Oh well, lets see what Crash Bandicoot 2 brings lol
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 08:13:30 pm by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #340 on: July 02, 2017, 08:11:51 pm »
1) Lego Batman 3 (One) (Base game 100% complete)
2) Dragonball Xenoverse 2 (One) (Story Mode, Parallel Quests completed)
3) Mass Effect (360) (Replay, 100%)
4) Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4) (Platinum Trophy)
5) Mass Effect 2 (360) (Replay, 100%)
6) Mass Effect 3 (360) (Replay, 100%)
7) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (One) (All achievements unlocked)
8 ) Mass Effect Andromeda (One) (Single Player complete)
9) Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet (Story Mode, Collectables Complete)

Yeah, definitely not  reaching the goal, but still whittling down the backlog piece by piece.

10) SPACEPLAN (100% complete) - A funny little clicker game that can actually be finished up in about a day.

11) Lego Battles (DS) - An interesting attempt at RTS for the DS. A little on the easy side (it is Lego after all), but still a rather solid game.

« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2017, 10:21:00 pm »
31 - PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (PC 2017) - ENDLESS - I actually picked this up once back in like April, when the hype started to build for the game and I was watching some content on it, but as it can be with Early Access, the games performance sucked, nearly unplayable, and so I refunded it.  Little over 3 months later, still seeing great content on it, I know they spent like two months specifically working on client and server performance, and now it runs pretty great.  In just the past couple days of playing, I've already gotten at least one win in the game, which surprised me, but I'm like 60% of the time getting into the top 20.  The game is basically like the survival aspect of DayZ, quickly gathering gear to kill other people, but then also it's actually a good shooter, unlike DayZ and it's ARMA base lol  It's also big enough that you got enough space to do what you want, with 100 people in the same map, but not ARMA big and you just spend a half hour running somewhere and then die because of garbage zombies or a sniper who's been in a tower for the past hour waiting for someone to run by.  Solid game, can only get better, found someone I know local to do Duo matches and hoping I can find enough in my gamer group for a Squad match soon.

NickAwesome

PRO Supporter

« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2017, 02:23:55 am »
52 Games list
1.  Dragon Quest VII- 3DS
2.  Dragon Quest Builders- PS4- Done- Beat Main Story
3.  Hyper Light Drifter- PS4
4. Roller Coaster Tycoon- PC- Done- Beat all Original Scenarios
5.  Titanfall 2- Done- Beat Main Story on Normal
6.  Deus Ex Mankind Divided-Done- Beat Main Story on Normal, all Sidequests
7. Skies of Arcadia: Legends- GC- 5 hours in
8. Mirrors Edge: Catalyst- few hours in, game is pretty dull, probably won't finish this one
9. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt- PS4- Done- Beat main story-
10. Paper Mario- N64- 5 hours in
11. Zelda- Breath of the Wild- Switch- One Divine Beat down- 3 to go
12. The Witcher 3 DLC- Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine- Complete
13. Nier Automata- Beaten- Ending A and B, working on C- Still playing as the game is not really over yet
14. Persona 5- PS4- 90 or so hours in
15. Red Faction- PS2- Beaten on Normal- Took me nearly 15 yrs after the fact but finally beat this game
16.  Gears of War: UE- XBONE- Beaten on Normal- Co-op-
17.  Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped- PS4 Beaten - going for 105%
18.  Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back- 20%
19. Crash Bandicoot- 30%

10/19

shfan

« Reply #343 on: July 03, 2017, 06:10:48 pm »
Steamworld Dig (PS4), just a short one, took 5.5 hours, fun little boulderdash with knobs-on. Started the other game in the Stemworld Collection, Heist.

kashell

« Reply #344 on: July 05, 2017, 08:14:38 am »
I finished Super Princess Peach over the weekend. It was one of the easiest games to complete, but it was really enjoyable.