Author Topic: New guy  (Read 5582 times)

desocietas

Re: New guy
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 03:20:45 pm »
I buy the guide for every new main series Pokemon game, because they list what mons are located where and I only use them when I get to each area to check for new ones.
I misread this but it would be a pretty awesome game if you could find "moms" to use in each area :D

lol

"a wild soccer mom appears!"
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 03:39:10 pm »
pfft, I actually chuckled at that one.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »
Lol rereading the sentence and putting mom in there instead of mon makes it so totally different :D

scott

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »
I keep rereading it and laughing. It does get a totally different context when mom is used. Haha

tpugmire

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 04:28:04 pm »
When I started playing (I think Im probably one of the oldest on the site) internet searching wasnt even a possibility. You either had to figure it out on your own ... or get a guide. Or pay Nintendo/Sega by the minute for a phone call.

Guides to me are part of the complete package for the games I play. Its like the accessories people put on cars. Not necessary for it to work but it looks a hell of a lot better than without it!

Hey, nothing wrong with being an old guy!  I'm right there with ya.  I don't recall ever buying a guide besides the Nintendo Power ones.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 04:56:21 pm »
Soera, how old are you?

soera

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 05:40:29 pm »
Ill be 38 in August.

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 05:46:16 pm »
Welcome, new guy!  Wonder if we'll ever get around to remembering your actual name ;)

This does bring up a question I've always wondered: why do people buy game guides?

I've never bought them myself, and if I'm really stuck, I look things up on GameFAQs.  But I'm sure there's another appeal to them that I haven't figured out yet and wonder if I should be thinking about adding them to my collection or not.

Is it the art? the maps? general collectability?

First, lol, just logged in and saw 21 replies. I'm fine with new guy.

To answer your question:

The art in the guides is something that always draws me to them. But do you know how cool it is to be playing Chrono Trigger on SNES using the official Nintendo Power guide? It's like having an ancient relic in your hands.

For other games, like FF 12 or even Dark Souls, all the details, stats, pictures of the weapons, armors is just so cool. I rarely ever use the guides during my first playthrough, and will most likely consult with the Internet before using the guide.

In short, I like it when I have a game, CIB, with the official guide to go with it. Guides can fetch for a lot of money, too.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone, this forum seems awesome.  :)
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk - have at you!

scott

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 06:24:09 pm »
I will say, Out of all the guides I own. My favorites have to be the ones for Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim. The amount of detail they get into in there is amazing. Plus the books are well over an inch thick and makes them worth every penny.

scott

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 06:30:58 pm »
Ill be 38 in August.

Oh ok, you beat me by 8 years. Ha.

atariboy

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 06:37:56 pm »
Welcome george!
The guides for me help me get thru the games, I posted on another topic that i'm not all that good when it comes to video games, so I do use them when I get stuck, but only when I'm stuck. I figured better to complete the game with help than to not finish it. I started to really collect them when GameCrazy threw a whole bunch of them away (about 60 different guides) and I discovered them when I was dumpster diving.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

jcalder8

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 06:42:59 pm »
There is a guide for Dark Souls? Is it just one page?

"If you do anything you die!" Yeah I suck at the game lol

soera's got me beat by 8 years too.

desocietas

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 06:55:07 pm »
I'm not sure if I feel better/worse that I'm the same age as some of you, but considering that we had that whole 80s/90s thread, it makes sense.

I'll be turning 30 in 2 weeks... :\
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »
32 here.

We are an old crew. Probably why the discussions here are usually full of reason. ha.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 07:05:02 pm »
I'll be 26 this year but am old at heart. Does that count?  ;D