Author Topic: Future Consoles and Banning Used Games  (Read 5248 times)

killerchameleon

Re: Future Consoles and Banning Used Games
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 07:47:44 am »
And the world gets a little darker  :(, but you know what there will always be a black market.  Someone will strip the roms and make an emulater.

darko

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 09:38:41 am »
I'm pretty sure I read where GS has verified that the new xbox will in fact play used games.

Also, if M$, $ony and Nintendo think piracy is bad now...they will lose their ass if they ever do something like this.

blipcs76

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:56 am »
The thing is, there are still hundreds of games I want to buy and play that exist now on current and past consoles.  If I could never buy a new game again, I could live with that.

I said this to my buddy last night. There is 30 years of video gaming to play, and there are thousands of games I have never played and I am more than happy to revisit my older consoles and retro game.

Exactly.  Off the top of my head I can probably rattle off 40-50 games on the PS1-PS2 alone that I want to eventually pick up and play, so I really don't need to continue into the next generation, other than I'd miss out on new games by Nintendo.

killerchameleon

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »
More evidence that cloud gaming is going to take over sooner than later, once the big three jump on the cloud that’s where it will be.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/OnLive-Gaikai-E30-2012-PlayStation-Vita,news-15353.html

ffxik

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 05:24:02 pm »
More evidence that cloud gaming is going to take over sooner than later, once the big three jump on the cloud that’s where it will be.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/OnLive-Gaikai-E30-2012-PlayStation-Vita,news-15353.html

Only if, we the consumer allow them.  They can't sell what we don't buy.  Then it could go down quicker than a two dollar wh*** on a crack binge. 

killerchameleon

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »
That’s true, if the people don’t buy it will not succeed.  I must admit though I’ve been using the Onlive micro system and so far I like it.  The convenience and pricing is spot on the only issue I see is that they don’t offer the latest and greatest games available right away and the majority of gamers want the newest now.  Now I know us collectors and hoarders of video games may resist at first but we don’t make up the majority, the majority of gamers are going to hop on the cloud gaming wagon because it’s so convenient add the fact that you can take your game saves with you regardless if you play on the micro system, PC, tablet or smart phone just too many benefits in cloud gaming to ignore.  Once Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft jump on board and cut the cost of needing to develop a more powerful console, well there’s no turning back.  It’s happening and like I said way back it’s happening sooner than we think.

scott

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 11:25:31 pm »
In that case, I'll be sticking with the classics. We'll see how well the gaming industry does when there are no games on shelf at retail.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

killerchameleon

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 10:43:36 am »
I know scary thought isn’t it?

killerchameleon

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 10:46:02 am »
You know, how many Record or CD stores do you see anymore?  The music industry is still alive and well.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 11:25:52 am »
The thing is, there are still hundreds of games I want to buy and play that exist now on current and past consoles.  If I could never buy a new game again, I could live with that.

I said this to my buddy last night. There is 30 years of video gaming to play, and there are thousands of games I have never played and I am more than happy to revisit my older consoles and retro game.

This, this, this, this, this, this, this, and...*THIS*

I've already got more unplayed games (and the systems to play them on) than I could ever *possibly* play in one lifetime!

I'll also be one of those people who will "vote with my wallet" and stop buying & supporting *ANY* new games and/or consoles that completely do away with either:

a).  all physical mediums (...or...at least the Option/alternative) to have an available version that is physical and/or

b).  the ability to buy, sell, play, and trade our used games in any & every way that we damn well please!

/opinionated rant...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

killerchameleon

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 11:41:53 am »
LOL………..listen to your selves………..LOL, we are all here because we love and always will love video games old and new but it’s the new games that keep up excided about video games.  Now I know you will always love the old stuff and love the challenge of hunting them down but there is no way any of us will be able to not embrace the next greatest game out there or pickup the newest version of your favorite franchise being it Mario, Zelda or Metroid.  If they make it you will come regardless of how they distribute it.  If the industry moves to cloud gaming, you will be there… you will be there.

amauriel

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 01:07:40 pm »
You know, how many Record or CD stores do you see anymore?  The music industry is still alive and well.

The town I live in has a record store. It opened maybe two years ago. It's called "Endangered Species" and their sign says "The Last Record Store on Earth."
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 01:28:23 pm »
LOL………..listen to your selves………..LOL, we are all here because we love and always will love video games old and new but it’s the new games that keep up excided about video games.  Now I know you will always love the old stuff and love the challenge of hunting them down but there is no way any of us will be able to not embrace the next greatest game out there or pickup the newest version of your favorite franchise being it Mario, Zelda or Metroid.  If they make it you will come regardless of how they distribute it.  If the industry moves to cloud gaming, you will be there… you will be there.

That's not true at all.

If sound, graphics, etc were limited to what we already have...it's more than good enough for me.

There's really not a single improvement possible that would influence me to buy a next gen system.

Will I buy one if used games are the way that they are now & if there's still physical media options to play its games on?
...probably...not because there's anything "flashy" or because there's any one franchise that is sooo important to me that I *Just* *have* to see it on the next gen systems (there's no such game/franchise for me)...

...but...it's more like I'd be buying the console & its games because I'm a gamer that is still *willing* to support the gaming industry (if I feel that its practices are deserving of support, that is).

I don't know about anyone else here, but my favorite series (as my screen-name probably gives away) is Disgaea.

I didn't (and don't feel any urge to) run out & buy a Vita just because there's a "newer" & "flashier" Disgaea game on it.

And again, I'm just speaking for myself here, but I *REALLY* wouldn't have any problem, indecision, struggle, internal debate, or loss of sleep by not buying a next gen console that does/doesn't do what I think that it should/shouldn't do.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

amauriel

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 03:39:16 pm »
I'm addicted to some of my favorite series. If a new Zelda came out on a cloud-based system, I'd still buy that system.

When a new system (non-handheld) comes out, we wait until there's at least one game for each of us before we buy it. We had an XBox 360 really early, as I wanted Kameo (love Rare games) and Ninety-Nine Nights, and he wanted something like Perfect Dark or Quake 4 or something.

We didn't get a PS3 for a long time. There were a few games he wanted, but nothing I'd get. I finally caved when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out, since he loves those games, and Little Big Planet had been announced by that time, which I thought looked fun. (Aside: LBP gets WAY more play in our house, since it's something we can play together.)

Handhelds are generally at launch, because I don't go anywhere without my DS (now 3DS). I DO regret getting the Vita as early as we did, because I've played maybe an hour or two on it and all he uses it for is soccer.

Point is, if good games and unique experiences come out for these cloud systems, I'll still be getting them. I won't lie. But I'll just keep collecting for my DS, and only buying games I really want to invest time in on those systems. I just think they're being very narrow-minded about this. As of April 2010, only 73% of Xbox 360s had gotten online. Are they going to cut out 1/4 of their sales just to eliminate the used games market?
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

killerchameleon

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 08:53:46 pm »
Amauriel I agree with you, I didn’t start collecting games to play them.  I played games for the experience and my collecting grew, so the experience of the game is the most important part collecting is just the by product from collecting.  If you all love video games like I do and I think most of you do, that s why you’re here you will buy into the next great thing.  I told myself after I bought a PSP and really didn’t play it that I would never buy another handheld.  Well ended up getting a 3DS on for my birthday and I’m hooked on it love the thing never leave it home and my opinion has changed.  The fact is most of us here love video games and always will, we may resist and want to keep our old ways but we will cave in sooner or later.  I didn’t care for the whole cloud gaming idea at first basically because I wanted something to hold but now that I have the Onlive mini console and experienced the games I realized that the experience is the important part although having maps and guide books sometimes enhance the experience, hopefully they will still make strategy guides with that stuff. 

Amauriel, I bet you didn’t buy the CD-I system for the Zelda games did you.   ;D