Author Topic: What is the most hype you've ever seen for a game pre release/launch day?  (Read 2467 times)

pizzasafari

I don't actually spend that much time in gaming forums so I don't really see the full extent of how much hype games get outside of fanbases I'm already a part of. Other than that the only hype I really hear is my own my friends'.

I can tell you though that the hype for Persona 5 in the leadup to its release day among the fanbase was out of this world. If it was released any later I'm fairly sure that I myself would have had a nervous breakdown. When I got that knock on my door from the postman on that fateful day. Hoooooooohohohohohoo. Wow. I was a happy boi.
(I got my preorder a day early too, so from official release date onwards I was among like 1% of players that were getting the trophies, nice)

dhaabi

These days, this sort of hype prior to a game's release is largely a rare occurrence for a variety of reasons. So, after glancing at this topic, I started to wonder what game in recent years has had the most hype. And, after thinking about it, Elden Ring surely is the most noteworthy example. Not only were FromSoftware fans ecstatic, but George R. R. Martin fans and just players in general were too. For a long time, it seems like all sorts of people were anxiously awaiting it, and then for a few months, it seemed like everyone was playing it.

Nowadays, it's uncommon for one singular entity to command the general public's attention like before. Too many games release and there are all sorts of niche communities for a person's specific interests, and the same can be said for all types of entertainment too: film, television, music, and so forth. Simplified game creator tools and better access to them marked the end of the end of this regular occurrence for games, whereas streaming marked the end for film, television, and music. Anyone with the right skillset can create a project and upload it to some service. AAA publishers, Hollywood studios, and major record labels can be entirely avoided now.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2024, 08:26:51 pm by dhaabi »

telekill

I haven't been hyped for a game release since Uncharted 4 (2016). It's also the last collectors edition and strategy guide purchase for me. I was excited for Shenmue 3 (2019) as well but knew before it released that it wouldn't complete the story so my hype was lowered.

In my lifetime easily GTA 5. I feel it should be universal without nostalgia goggles on. I got the game 12 hours after the midnight launch parties and their was still a crowd around the entire electronics section of walmart. It was on good morning America. Howard Stern. The voice actors become overnight celebrities. Their was lore. The walmart clerk just was scanning them like candy bars. Stacks were literally to the ceiling.

I mean it was so anticipated. The game moved more units in one weekend then I believe any physical media prior at tjat time.

It dominates sales on two different console generations.

I remember it was like a holiday.

They even documented that their was nationwide callouts from work that day. A good 10 percent surge just from 1 video game.

Overall. GTA 6 is probably gonna make that look like kids play. I imagine it might cause some serious crashing to servers if the networks and rockstar dont plan for the massive influx.