Author Topic: Who owns a Vita?  (Read 1663 times)

jcalder8

Who owns a Vita?
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:49:15 pm »
I have been thinking about saving up to get one but I always like to hear from people who own the system.
Is it worth picking up now or should I wait for there to be additional releases?

jobocan

Re: Who owns a Vita?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:04:54 pm »
Wait!
I mean, I'm relatively happy with it just because I paid almost nothing for all the console ports it gets, but it's not a console that really stand on its own with its exclusives. Gravity Rush is fun but not too great, both FPS on it are HORRIBLE (CoD is even worse than a standard CoD release)... and that's it, the only exclusive that's actually good is Hot Shots Golf, and that's a golf game (AND it was ported to PS3 in japan already too, so it's not even really exclusive anymore).

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »
I second "wait".  I've sold mine because there have not been enough new titles.  I was really excited and was a day 1 supporter, I feel pretty let down.  Such amazing hardware and such crap software so far.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 10:05:55 pm by varkias »

jcalder8

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 12:43:22 am »
Thanks for the input, I was feeling like I should wait but they have been showing up on Kijiji lately so I have been tempted :)

scott

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:51:01 am »
I'm going to get one eventually too. But I'm going to wait until they got on sale or have a huge price drop.

I may start picking up games I want that are already out though, so I don't have to look for them down the road. But I'm still debating on that course of action, ha.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 12:11:01 pm »
I almost picked one up on Christmas Eve. The reason I didn't is because the only game I saw that I wanted to play was Persona 4, which I already have and have already played :/

jobocan

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:21:29 pm »
I almost picked one up on Christmas Eve. The reason I didn't is because the only game I saw that I wanted to play was Persona 4, which I already have and have already played :/

That's exactly the Vita's problem. The best stuff you can play on it are games that are available on other consoles, and it has no amazing games of its own. I don't have Persona 4 on PS2, so it was great to play through it on the Vita... but if you did have the PS2 version, there's really no reason to get it on Vita (there's a few minor gameplay changes and extra scenes, but the base game is the same).

godnightshade

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 11:43:55 am »
I have one and use it as a portable PS1. I'm happy with it.

topspot123

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »
Just in hardware alone, its a great system.  I really love mine, I just wish there was more to play on it.  Reminds me of the early PSP days.

scott

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 04:54:45 pm »
Reminds me of the early PSP days.

Which is the problem Sony seems to have with both of their handhelds. I'm interested in the system, but it seems to have the same problem the PSP had, I'd go into the store looking for PSP games that seemed interesting. Looking for a reason to keep the thing charged and playing it, and 90% of the time I'd leave the store with a game for another system. Simply because the library seemed to be filled with "meh".

Though now, I've slowly been buying PSP games I have only recently discovered and enjoying the system a lot, not nearly as much as my DS/3DS mind you, but enough to make me rethink some of my earlier stances on the PSP. At the beginning of 2012, I think I had maybe 10 games for the PSP? Now I'm over 30, with more games I'm on the look out for.

I think the PS Vita might end up being the same story, different book. For me anyway.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 05:48:41 pm »
Reminds me of the early PSP days.

Which is the problem Sony seems to have with both of their handhelds. I'm interested in the system, but it seems to have the same problem the PSP had, I'd go into the store looking for PSP games that seemed interesting. Looking for a reason to keep the thing charged and playing it, and 90% of the time I'd leave the store with a game for another system. Simply because the library seemed to be filled with "meh".

Though now, I've slowly been buying PSP games I have only recently discovered and enjoying the system a lot, not nearly as much as my DS/3DS mind you, but enough to make me rethink some of my earlier stances on the PSP. At the beginning of 2012, I think I had maybe 10 games for the PSP? Now I'm over 30, with more games I'm on the look out for.

I think the PS Vita might end up being the same story, different book. For me anyway.

I'm thinking (and *Hoping*) along these lines, too.

IMHO - I *Like* Sony more than MS & Nintendo.

So, I would have (and still would:) love to have bought/buy a VITA to help support Sony...Instead, though...I bought a 3-DS-XL as there's just more games (and upcoming games) for it that interest me.

I *DO* put myself & my interests before the interests of (any) big companies & corporations :P

I still have the hope that, maybe someday, there will be enough Vita games to warrant/justify my purchase of one...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

thecollector0o7

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 06:19:21 pm »
To be completly honest it isnt really worth it both me and my wife have it and we play COD together and there is a few titles for it that keep me going back to it but for the most part thre just isnt the 3rd party support or even the 1st party support for that matter to keep the system going on. It had a slow start and I thought it might pick up like the 3ds did but theres nothing being released for it and that is its downfall.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:49 am »
To be completly honest it isnt really worth it both me and my wife have it and we play COD together and there is a few titles for it that keep me going back to it but for the most part thre just isnt the 3rd party support or even the 1st party support for that matter to keep the system going on. It had a slow start and I thought it might pick up like the 3ds did but theres nothing being released for it and that is its downfall.

Exactly.

Only 2 games that *really* interest me are:

Persona 4 (played on PS2 already) and

Disgaea 3 (played on PS3 already)...

:(

P.S.

CONGRATS - on hitting "800"  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

insektmute

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 06:04:55 pm »
I love the crap out of my Vita, but I think its appeal depends heavily on what you're looking for. Persona 4: Golden was enough reason for me to get it, since I'm a rabid MegaTen fan and will happily buy new versions of crap I already own, but Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3, and Zero Escape really helped reinforce my decision to buy it. I've also found that I really like how PS1 games look on it, which was kind of a nice surprise.

For other people, there probably aren't enough casual and Western-style games, so it'd be hard to recommend to anyone interested in that sort of thing. Ditto for anyone who's not interested in enhanced ports of PS2/PS3 games or cross-platform titles.

That said, in terms of sheer hardware quality, it's probably the best handheld I've ever owned. Really really slick machine.