Author Topic: The Toy Collectors  (Read 41937 times)

Re: The Toy Collectors
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2021, 02:43:59 am »
Finally added something to my Nendoroid collection after quite some time. Picked up a Hermione and a Cuddle Team Leader. Now they're having a standoff on my shelf:

Also, Amazon had a bunch of the Dragon Stars figures for at least half off as a Deal of the Day, so I picked up a Piccolo, 1st form Frieza, and SSJ4 Vegeta. They haven't arrived yet though.

Bummer I missed that deal, I actually might've grabbed some Dragon Stars figures myself.  I only have a couple, but there's a few I'd like to get.  I have a few of the model kit figures which are cool, but are so pricey to get now, so I'm mostly dropping them and will probably just pick up a few of the ones I want from the Dragon Stars line instead.  I had a handful of them at one point, but I literally only bought them to build the Berserker Kale figure lol I believe the only one I kept was Golden Frieza.

*EDIT* I randomly checked Amazon to see what figures were up, maybe I'd catch a deal again down the road and the deal of the day was still up for a handful of figures for another 10 minutes lol I bought myself SSJ Gohan, Piccolo, SSJ4 Vegeta, and First Form Frieza. Thanks for the heads up lol
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:52:02 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2021, 07:32:19 am »
The NECA TMNT Movie Turtles are getting massive reshipments to Wal-Marts around the country, so be on the lookout for the Turtle 2-Packs, Super Shredder, and his variant if you still want them.

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2021, 02:24:16 am »
Turned out to be a very Dragon Ball week as after I picked up those 4 on sale on Amazon, I ended up popping by a Gamestop I'm not usually at and they had a 20% off toys, so I got Cooler for 20 bucks, but also they had the World Tournament stage on clearance for 20 bucks.  I don't usually like to pick up big stuff like this, I don't tend to ahve the room, but this fits perfectly on my Dragon Ball shelf and can display all the figures I have.

Honestly this Dragon Stars line is abit shit, the legs on both Frieza's and Piccolo are pretty jank and Gohan just barely stands, it's not very great articulation, but if I can get more for like 10 bucks a piece, then I'm okay with that.  They visually are pretty alright though.

Gonna actually get rid of my model kit figures I have, SSJ Goku, SSJ Blue Vegeta, #17, #18, Trunks, 4th Form Frieza, and SSJ2 Gohan, so if anyone is interested in those for their collection, I'm probably looking at selling them off for like 10 to 15 bucks a piece and they come with almost all their extra bits.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 02:29:47 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2021, 06:41:30 pm »
I either forgot or didn't know this existed, but when I went to buy myself a new shirt from Fangamer, I saw they had an articulated figurine for Mettaton EX and I was all on board with that, I mean this is actually balancing itself, you don't see this happening with Hasbro figures usually lol It's not a deep amount of articulation, but mixing basic articulation with bendable arms is pretty great and was a nice little splurge on my part as I'm cutting back on stuff right now.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 06:43:19 pm by kamikazekeeg »

Flashback2012

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2021, 11:54:53 am »
Hit up a toy show that I thought was going to be a little podunk affair and instead it was this MONSTER show with several hundred attendees. It was staged at a fairgrounds so I figured they rented one of the small buildings. NOPE...5 buildings and the largest ones on the grounds at that. They were filled to the brim with tables (from 12 different states according to the flyer).

What I thought was going to be a quick little in-and-out affair turned out to us spending almost the whole time there trying to make sure we hit every building and seeing just about every table. I never would have guessed the show would be so big and have so many attendees.  :o

Most of the stuff was out of my price range but I managed to find some things for myself and others. I picked up two Bandai Pokemon Model kits for my friend's son. I had found him ones of Pikachu and Eevee  previously at GameStop that he took a liking to so I knew he'd like these new ones. I know one was Ho-oh but can't remember the other. It's a Legendary I think from Pokemon White. His dad is into Megaman and found him a Funko Pop of one he didn't have yet (8-bit version). I know there's color variants of the one I picked up but they're pricey.  :-X

Found myself a Mickey Mouse gumball machine and some Snoopy figurines/knick-knacks. Even though it was a toy show, I was hoping to find some comic/trade vendors. There were a few and I found a couple of trades for decent prices.

While there was plenty of Transformers/GI Joe and such from my youth there, a lot of it was well out of my price range. I finally got to see the GI Joe Aircraft Carrier out of the box and in-person for the first time (had previously only seen it in pictures). That was a treat.  :)

I always had an appreciation for the more obscure toys from the late 70's/early-to-mid 80's, a lot of which I didn't see hardly any of while I was there.  :-\ I was on the lookout for a few things such as Crystar, Starriors, Max Steele Robo Force, Dungeon & Dragons, and Visionaries. Of those lines, the one I saw the most was D&D. I saw Starriors at one table but saw nothing for Crystar or Visionaries. One table had something for Max Steele which I picked up.

Has the box and mini-comic but not inner packaging. It has a cosmetic issue but that's due to age so not worried about that. Best part it was only $20 so I didn't have to break the bank.  :D

« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2021, 06:34:02 pm »
I'm not a huge wrestling toy collector, I only own a few of the Masters of the WWE Universe figures, because you strip them out of the armor and you got just real good looking sorta retro toys with better articulation, but I'm a huge Macho Man fan, always was my favorite and I gotta buy this new Macho Man.  The chase version of this, has the exact arm bands he had on, so hopefully I can find that, though I imagine that'll be hard and expensive to get, so might just end up with the standard.

« Reply #171 on: April 22, 2021, 02:05:29 am »
Continuing my beginning Batman collection with the face mouth covered variant for Batman Beyond.  I went with this one as I was never a particularly huge fan of Batman Beyond's design where the whole cowl is form fitted to his mouth, which looked weird and never quite understood how that worked, but here, they gave him a mouth cover, maybe it's a design from the comics or something? Either way, it makes the design look way better to me.  I hate that they are releasing variants of figures in separate packs right next to each other, because I want the jet blasts and flight holder from the other version.  It's a really crappy thing that McFarlane has been doing with this line.  Neat figure though, I also plan to get the Batman Beyond Batwoman when that releases.

pzeke

« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2021, 10:51:43 am »
[...]

Honestly this Dragon Stars line is abit shit, the legs on both Frieza's and Piccolo are pretty jank and Gohan just barely stands, it's not very great articulation, but if I can get more for like 10 bucks a piece, then I'm okay with that.  They visually are pretty alright though.

I have actually held a few of these with the intern of buying them, but I always second-guess myself because I honestly don't like the build of most figures. I mean, Cooler looks cool, so does Janemba to some extent, but the rest are "meh" at best if I'm being perfectly honest.

Anywho...

Somewhat recent pick ups.

Gogeta came from GameStop and the Super Shredder from Walmart, which happens to be the first TMNT-related figure I managed to score at Walmart after looking for so long; I've heard, as well as read online that some employees have been hiding/stashing certain items away, particularly the NECA TMNT stuff, for other people - friends/relatives, probably resellers. To be honest, I wouldn't doubt it since I've actually caught employees doing it on more than one occasion before. Par for the course, I'd say; it is what it is.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 12:40:30 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2021, 01:09:38 pm »
Gogeta came from GameStop and the Super Shredder from Walmart, which happens to be the first TMNT-related figure I managed to score at Walmart after looking for so long; I've heard, as well as read online that some employees have been hiding/stashing certain items away, particularly the NECA TMNT stuff, for other people - friends/relatives, probably resellers. To be honest, I wouldn't doubt it since I've actually caught employees doing it on more than one occasion before. Par for the course, I'd say; it is what it is.

I've actually seen lots of the Shadow Master variant of Super Shredder, but never any of the movie accurate ones.  I'm just hoping April won't be impossible to get when she's out in the next couple of months.  NECA has actually been a lot better about their stock over the last few months, with the occasional hiccups, still.

« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2021, 02:22:15 pm »
No one in my area has seemingly gotten the Super Shredder that I've seen.  There was supposed to be an absolute ton of them showing up Walmart, but I haven't seen any.  I wasn't sure if I was gonna get it, I just wanted to look at it in person, but I haven't been able to lol

« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2021, 11:21:27 pm »
Was actually considering getting this new Captain America figure when I first saw it, because I think it looks great, the suit might be up there as one of the better comic to MCU translations they've done and with the wings, it's quite a great looking figure.  The suit just pops in toy form and in the show.  Was super disappointed that the only way to have a complete Cap is to buy the entire wave as they made the wings a separate BAF release.  I don't want any of the other figures and I'm not paying over 150 bucks just to get the wings lol Sadly I'll have to wait for a deluxe release, which I'm sure will come out with the next Captain America movie they announced.

pzeke

« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2021, 12:48:34 pm »
I've actually seen lots of the Shadow Master variant of Super Shredder, but never any of the movie accurate ones.  I'm just hoping April won't be impossible to get when she's out in the next couple of months.  NECA has actually been a lot better about their stock over the last few months, with the occasional hiccups, still.

I like the Shadow Master variant slightly more given the standard version kind of looks like those pixel-based figures from NECA (Contra, Castlevania, Rambo, et al) due to the highlights on the figure's abs and leg muscles. Not a deal breaker by any means, I still like it; I was surprised to find it, if I'm being honest - it was the only one left.

No one in my area has seemingly gotten the Super Shredder that I've seen.  There was supposed to be an absolute ton of them showing up Walmart, but I haven't seen any.  I wasn't sure if I was gonna get it, I just wanted to look at it in person, but I haven't been able to lol

Probably because the employees have been hiding/stashing them away...

Was actually considering getting this new Captain America figure when I first saw it, because I think it looks great, the suit might be up there as one of the better comic to MCU translations they've done and with the wings, it's quite a great looking figure.  The suit just pops in toy form and in the show.  Was super disappointed that the only way to have a complete Cap is to buy the entire wave as they made the wings a separate BAF release.  I don't want any of the other figures and I'm not paying over 150 bucks just to get the wings lol Sadly I'll have to wait for a deluxe release, which I'm sure will come out with the next Captain America movie they announced.

I mean, it was expected. Regardless, I'm not wowed by this wave. Although, if I'm being honest, the MCU-related figures have never been my cup of tea, none has yet to pique my interest - Falcon and Zemo, and to an extent Scarlet Witch I'll admit look nice, but that's about it for me; I'm more into comic-accurate figures. Most of the figures look bland; Loki for instance could've had a second set of hands, and maybe even another head. Hopefully the final product has him with a different colored jacket because the one seen in the stock photos looks bad.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2021, 12:56:24 pm »

I like the Shadow Master variant slightly more given the standard version kind of looks like those pixel-based figures from NECA (Contra, Castlevania, Rambo, et al) due to the highlights on the figure's abs and leg muscles. Not a deal breaker by any means, I still like it; I was surprised to find it, if I'm being honest - it was the only one left.

Oh yeah, I definitely think the Shadow Master looks way cooler.

They released the final images and packaging for April this morning, and she has gone up for pre-order on the NECA store.  The Signature Edition has already sold out of the 2000 pieces (I'm in for my one - definitely already feeling some regret because of the price), and the standard is $30.  My mom actually found me the movie Foot Soliders this morning as well, so now the only movie line figures I'm missing are Tokka and Rhazar, and I'm getting shelves from Ikea next week.  Maybe I can finally stop spending money on them.

« Reply #178 on: April 27, 2021, 02:09:32 pm »
The new Super 7 TMNT wave was fully revealed and I think I'm gonna have to get the Samurai Leo.  That was a favorite of mine with the spinoff figures they did after the initial main wave and it looks really good.  I don't collect Super 7 stuff in particular, always a little pricier than other stuff, but I have the regular Leonardo, so I think I'll need this one.

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1387097522238332929?s=20

pzeke

« Reply #179 on: April 27, 2021, 03:50:02 pm »
Yeah, even though they often look really nice, I've never bothered to get anything from Super7...although I've been super close to with the ThunderCats figures. However, every time I'd end up saying, "I can use this money for something else," and forget about it.

With that said, though, that Samurai Leonardo does pique my interest, as I remember owning the original figure ages ago. I'll tell you what. I guarantee you I'll be all over the release of a Space Cadet Raphael.