Author Topic: Category/Platform Requests 2.0  (Read 37604 times)

tripredacus

Re: Category/Platform Requests 2.0
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2019, 09:42:11 am »
All of the existing sub-cats have Apple name first.

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2019, 05:53:34 pm »
All of the existing sub-cats have Apple name first.

True, for the existing Apple sub-categories, those products actually had the word Apple in the name (except the Pippin). The Apple II computer, was actually called the "Apple II", and so on.

Having a "Mac" sub-category in the Apple Computers section makes the most sense to me, since that term essentially covers all eras of Macintosh releases. Still, "Apple Macintosh" is not technically wrong.

In the end, I appreciate your attention to the topic, so I'll defer to whatever you decide is best.

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 12:39:56 pm »
Create category for XBOX ONE Brazil exclusive games:

XBOX ONE BR

tripredacus

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 10:38:26 am »
Create category for XBOX ONE Brazil exclusive games:

XBOX ONE BR

https://vgcollect.com/browse/xboxonebr

aliensstudios

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 10:44:46 pm »
I see we've got Neo Geo AES games in the database, what about MVS games?
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

tripredacus

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2019, 09:53:48 am »

They have categories under Arcade in the Browse page:
https://vgcollect.com/browse

aliensstudios

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 06:05:02 pm »

They have categories under Arcade in the Browse page:
https://vgcollect.com/browse
Ah, good to know.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

mark1982

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 11:23:17 pm »
Is there a platform for Epic Games Store under PC?

I'm not much of a PC player, however the Epic Games Store has been giving out free games on a weekly basis and I've racked up quite a decent amount. :P

I noticed under PC there is Steam and GOG but no Epic Games Store. If there is, my apologies and can please guide me there. Thanks!
  l    l 

tripredacus

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2019, 09:25:28 am »
Use PC Digital Downloads section. Put into description what site/launcher the game is available on.

mark1982

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 11:20:16 am »
Ah ok, noted, thanks!

Once I build up a bigger ( free :P ) collection I'll start compiling. Never payed for anything on EGS..
  l    l 

tripredacus

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 12:23:16 pm »
I got the season pass for BL3, so hopefully this will be my only purchase from there.

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 08:41:22 pm »
These category operations have been completed by site admin:

deleted Sega Mega Drive [AS] sub-cat

Please bring back Sega Mega Drive [AS] and remove Sega Mega Drive [CN] instead (or just rename).
As far as I know there was no Chinese (People Republic of China) Mega Drive and games that are now under Sega Mega Drive [CN] category are Asian (sold in Philippines, Malaysia, Taiwan etc...).
Asian region Mega Drive releases have golden MD logo (sole early releases use JP boxes and carts though, with English and Chinese manuals added in).
Some Asian games have NTSC stickers (from Taiwan) on the boxes and other ones sometimes have PAL stickers (rest of Asia) but as far as I managed to dig they are exactly the same releases (same boxes, bar codes, carts.. everything) so there is no point dividing Asian region into Taiwan and Asia or PAL-Asia and NTSC-Asia.

tripredacus

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2019, 10:01:16 am »
I can entertain the category being changed to Sega Mega Drive [SEA]
but there should not be any [AS] named categories.

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2019, 10:01:52 am »
That would be cool, certainly better than "CN" as China (PRC not Taiwan) has nothing to do with games in this category :)

tripredacus

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2019, 12:22:21 pm »
That would be cool, certainly better than "CN" as China (PRC not Taiwan) has nothing to do with games in this category :)

If we are to follow the established TLD rules, there is no TLD for SEA (and I would really not want to make things worse) ... but there is .ASIA.

I am thinking about it again... It would take more work to fix TLD on categories... since we have other problems. Having some categories like [CN] to take care of all of non-categorised Asian countries is not bad. We still have some categories using wrong TLD, such as [AS] (American Samoa) and [NA] (Nambia)... Not to mention that South African releases often end up in EU categories.

I think that the correct way to handle this would be to re-work the way we track releases, rather than trying to kludge it even more than it is.

I can't decide this on my own. Rather please post into this thread:
https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,8361.0.html

The question being: "rename all [AS] and [CN] categories into [SEA]"
Note: it is not actually Style Guide related, AND us regular db admins can't rename categories. So if the motion is adopted, it may take some time before the changes are actually made.