Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59790 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2021, 11:17:10 am »
Witcher season 2. Production values are pretty high and Cavill is great as Geralt, but the story and dialogue is difficult to follow. Shame.

« Reply #256 on: December 31, 2021, 06:34:37 am »
Finished a rewatch of S1 of The Righteous Gemstones before the new season starts next week.  So happy to finally have it back.

Big Mouth Season Five - Felt more in line with the older seasons, storyline wise, but still just as crass and hilarious as always.

Over the Garden Wall - Dark, bizarre, and hilarious mini-series from Cartoon Network.  Very short, so worth spending time on if it looks interesting to you.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:08:54 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2022, 02:22:29 pm »
Just finished Love/Hate, RTE show about drug dealers in Dublin. Really enjoyed it and was sad to see it finish...

« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2022, 08:45:01 am »
Pen15 - A coming of age story about two thirteen year old girls played by 30-something women, and all the other kids are played by kids. Very funny, and sometimes moving, the last stretch of episodes unfortunately has a disjointed rushed feeling brought about by COVID production restrictions.  Still pretty good it just doesn't feel as cohesive as earlier episodes / seasons.

Other Space - One of the few shows that aired on the doomed Yahoo Screen. Created by Freaks and Geeks' Paul Feig with a pretty solid cast, including multiple MST3K alum it follows a group of misfits that get lost in an alternate universe.  Shame it was on Yahoo as I would have liked a couple of more seasons.  It's pretty fun.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 09:14:36 pm by Cartagia »

telekill

« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2022, 08:59:29 am »
I'd rewatch the Witcher season 1 and binge the second season but I don't have Netflix anymore... moved to Hulu/Disney+ deal for the kids. I'd buy a blu-ray set of it but for whatever reason, Netflix has decided to not release The Witcher to own on disc when they've released many of their other popular shows. Oh well.

gngtiger

« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2022, 01:15:50 am »
I'm working my way through Big Bang Theory and Grimm.

« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2022, 12:30:04 pm »
Netflix's Lost in Space is relatively solid. Good cast, good-to-great effects, and a slew of great TV directors.  I've only just finished season one, but it does have some real plotting issues, that stem mostly from it trying to be a more family friendly show, and putting kids front and center, but there are a lot of really bad decisions made by these children that have supposedly been trained for this trip.  Couple that with Dr. Smith being a hair too omnipotent in her planning it keeps it from being as good as it good be.

The Expanse is over.  The final season is pretty easily the weakest, mostly due to the lowered episode count.  It still managed to wrap things up in a pretty satisfactory manner even if it did feel a bit rushed.  The fact that I just wanted to stay in the universe a bit longer probably doesn't help that feeling.

Season Two of Lost in Space leans away from the idiot plots that peppered through S1, but they still pop up occasionally. Still a fun time.   Season three is even more consistent and is a terrific wrap up for the show.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia seasons 14 and 15.  There's still a laugh or two every episode, but the vibe isn't quite the same as it used to be.  Would not hurt my feelings if they called it quits soon.

I'm not hating The Book of Boba Fett, but it is really just cementing that legacy characters should mostly be left alone, or only used in small doses. There's not actually a lot known about adult Boba in the new Canon, but it just invites comparison, and inevitably leads to the kind of schisms SW is plagued with these days.

Season one of The Bridge, a crime drama from a little less than a decade ago on FX.  The characters are great, and the world-building is awesome, but the actual plotting leaves a bit to be desired.

Season two is more consistent, and has better overall plot, but it is at the cost of some of the interesting dichotomy of locations and the lead detective's personality.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 05:16:53 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #262 on: February 06, 2022, 04:14:02 am »
I've kinda struggled to watch shows and movies lately.  I have tons of stuff to watch like Book of Boba Fett, catching up with One Piece, multiple other anime shows, Arcane, Vox Machina, but I haven't been feeling like just sitting down and watching something.  I usually like to game and if it's not a very story heavy thing, Monster Hunter, currently Pokemon Legends, I put something casual on the side...So I'm kinda just getting a massive backlog of stuff lol

What did I watch? Outback Truckers! lol I don't know why, the idea of people driving these giants semi-trucks with multiple trailers through crazy harsh terrain for thousands of miles was just really interesting.  This genre of reality tv is one I've kinda had a thing for compared to most other stuff, because while they do hype up "What could go wrong", like every situation is "If this driver doesn't keep as far over on the left side of this narrow stretch of bad road as another road train comes by, they both could collide head on and kill them both, their family, and every kangaroo and cow in a 4km radius."  Overblown, but compared to the more casual drama of other reality shows, stuff like this does have a real danger and difficulty to it that I can appreciate.  Shows like Deadliest Catch, Ice Road Truckers, etc...Also I really like listening to their accents, it's weirdly relaxing listening to them talk lol Unfortunately, of the 9 seasons they've made, only 3 I think are on Netflix and nowhere else.  No clue when I'll get more.  Funny how hooked I got in, though I was spoiled reading a news story that one of the drivers who's been on the show alot was arrested for fraud a few years back which didn't surprise me lol

« Reply #263 on: February 06, 2022, 09:56:10 pm »
Finally started Game of Thrones a couple weeks back. I'm halfway through Season 2, with 3-8 piled up waiting.

« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2022, 12:18:19 pm »
I've been doing a complete Arrested Development rewatch, and those original two seasons are really just some of the best that TV has ever been.  The third season is a little bit of a step down, because of the slashed budget and episode order, but still has some of my favorite moments of the show.

The new remix of S4 feels more like the classic episodes, but some of the magic is still missing.  Bits go on too long, and while the extra narration keeps thing clear it's a bit much.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 08:17:03 pm by Cartagia »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2022, 09:41:07 pm »
Rewatching two favorites: Stargate: Universe and Quantum Leap. Both still hold up quite well, I'm enjoying them.

« Reply #266 on: February 18, 2022, 10:20:27 pm »
Always looking for Japanese documentary stuff, found the Age of Samurai show on Netflix and thought it was pretty alright.  Of course don't know how accurate it all is, but it had some dramatic re-enactments of stuff that kept it interesting.

Also watched the Rise of Tokyo on Youtube, a nearly hour long special on the general history of Tokyo, which was pretty interesting, though felt they really skimmed through the history quite abit from like the 70's on, like I understand some of the biggest history for Tokyo was like it's turn into a major city and the stuff with WW2 is more important, but felt like they could've spent actual time on the bubble era of the 80's and such as they barely even talked about it.  A good general overview at least.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 11:37:40 pm by kamikazekeeg »

gngtiger

« Reply #267 on: February 19, 2022, 12:34:21 am »
I just finished watching season 2 of "Raising Dion" on Netflix. It's an amazing and heartwarming take on superheroes, as well as the troubles their parents have to go through, I highly recommend.

« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2022, 08:30:29 pm »
The final season of Arrested Development is actually pretty solid. The energy is a bit off, but the writing is generally pretty sharp. The biggest issues are that it is stuck closing out storylines that we're not the best ideas in the first place.

Season 5 of Murder, She Wrote was more of the same, which is like a warm blanket.

The Season 2 premiere of Star Trek: Picard was pretty easily the best episode of the show.  Had a much better sense of tone and place than the first season ever did.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 09:30:45 am by Cartagia »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #269 on: March 04, 2022, 10:24:25 am »
Picard season 2. Great start. Hopefully it can keep this up and not be the disappointment the first season was. It had action, The Borg, time travel, and Q!