Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 62534 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #405 on: July 31, 2023, 04:49:34 pm »
Twisted Metal is pretty good.

« Reply #406 on: August 01, 2023, 09:31:41 am »
With the new episodes of Futurama being released I decided to rewatch the entire series, but I've not been as diligent about it as I meant to, so I'm only up through Season 3.  I'd forgotten just how much I love it.  I'm curious to see how the Comedy Central episodes hold up, as I'd only seem most if those once compared to the 5-6 times I've seen the original run.

« Reply #407 on: August 02, 2023, 03:45:21 am »
I watched one episode of Twisted Metal, pretty good start actually, I was kinda not really expecting too much out of it, but it's goofy, violent, and it's got cars with guns.  Peacock apparently doesn't do the free subscription with a tv deal anymore, so I probably won't get to the rest of it till later, but I like the setting for it, having it be that (seemingly) Y2K actually happened and the world went to hell, which explains why there's a bunch of crazies in gunned up cars running around.  Looking forward to the rest.

« Reply #408 on: August 06, 2023, 11:54:14 pm »
Legend of Vox Machina: Season 2 - Don't know why I took this long to get to this season, but finally did and it's as fantastic as I was hoping for, this is just great all around show.  Good story, good characters, good action, it's hardcore and crude, it's just an awesome fantasy show.  I highly recommend it and I'm so excited for the third season.

Also to note, yet another final Lance Reddick performance, and it's great to see these and how he's just so good in every thing.  Like it's obviously him with some effects, but he just had that perfect, low, impactful voice, dude could say or talk about anything and I'd listen.  Doesn't matter what he did, it was good.  Will continue to be missed.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:24:37 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2023, 10:56:49 am »
I finished the original Fox run of Futurama.  Still a really brilliant show, especially at the end of that era.  On to the movies!

I started watching 12 Monkeys based off the strength of the third season of Picard (Terry Matalas was the showrunner of both), and the first season is pretty good, but nothing amazing. It has similar strengths and weakness to Picard, but I've also heard that it gets better as it goes, so I'm excited to keep going.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 09:36:27 pm by Cartagia »

dhaabi

« Reply #410 on: August 10, 2023, 10:08:43 am »
With the new episodes of Futurama being released I decided to rewatch the entire series, but I've not been as diligent about it as I meant to, so I'm only up through Season 3.  I'd forgotten just how much I love it.  I'm curious to see how the Comedy Central episodes hold up, as I'd only seem most if those once compared to the 5-6 times I've seen the original run.

Coincidentally, I'm also in the middle of watching Futurama but started in mid-March. I've actually never seen the series before, and starting it was on a whim and had nothing to do with the latest series revival. I'm at the end of season six.

Generally, I find the show to be decent. Few episodes are really good, with many just being fine, and few again being bad, in my personal opinion. I've found character writing to be a little inconsistent mostly in regards to Fry, with some of the writing also having aged some poorly. A lot of pop culture or historical references aren't really funny either, even if you get them. Once season six starts, the series begins to incorporate plot writing focused on responding to modern culture and events similar to South Park. Some of these episodes are passable, I suppose, but I much prefer more original writing for this series.

I'll mention it here instead of the Movies topic, but Bender's Big Score is certainly the best of the four movies. Getting a more in-depth look at Fry's past and the events leading up to his cryogenesis was engaging as a first-time viewer. I personally thought the fourth movie Into the Green Yonder to be quite bad.

« Reply #411 on: August 10, 2023, 10:26:44 am »

Coincidentally, I'm also in the middle of watching Futurama but started in mid-March. I've actually never seen the series before, and starting it was on a whim and had nothing to do with the latest series revival. I'm at the end of season six.

Generally, I find the show to be decent. Few episodes are really good, with many just being fine, and few again being bad, in my personal opinion. I've found character writing to be a little inconsistent mostly in regards to Fry, with some of the writing also having aged some poorly. A lot of pop culture or historical references aren't really funny either, even if you get them. Once season six starts, the series begins to incorporate plot writing focused on responding to modern culture and events similar to South Park. Some of these episodes are passable, I suppose, but I much prefer more original writing for this series.

This makes sense, because it was at Season 6 that the show was revived on Comedy Central.  There are some really strong episodes in that era, but it is far more inconsistent in quality than the original Fox run.  I've watched the original run several times (including with creator commentaries), but I've only watched the movies once or twice, and most of the CC episodes once, so I'm actually pretty stoked to be getting into those episodes this time.

« Reply #412 on: August 13, 2023, 06:28:57 am »
House of the Dragon - Been meaning to get around to this as someone who was a fairly big Game of Thrones fan (Barring the rushed final seasons) and I think this show is just alright.  There isn't anything bad here, some good performances, it just feels so slow.  Game of Thrones had so much more going on, so what political drama there was, it was spread across different families, locations, the drama wasn't just about the heir to the crown.  It does find ways to change it up with time jumps, some plot elements that vary things, but I can't deny the show dragged to me every so often.  By the end, it feels like it was all a prequel to the more exciting next season, so we'll have to see.

Also, if I ever have to see another horrific birth scene, it will be too damn soon.  There better not be a single friggin one in the next season lol
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 06:34:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2023, 03:11:16 am »
Tried to watch The Righteous Gemstones, loved the idea of it, good actors involved, but the comedy wasn't working.  I like the exaggerated personalities and such, but I wasn't vibing with the tone, the characters are such dicks, but not in a funny enough way.  I don't know, it's hard for me to explain, I might attempt another episode or two again, I've turned around on stuff before.

The Last of Us - Did finally getting around to watching the rest of this.  I watched the first episode when it aired, but didn't need to keep up with it since I already played the game, so no real point as I knew the story.  Overall, probably one of the best game adaptations that's been done.  It keeps in everything it needs to story wise, what it changes makes sense in terms of making something better for TV, and they got to add extra stuff that wasn't brought up or maybe only mention in the game.  The one big story change that I wasn't sure about, was Bill and Frank.  I think that episode is fantastic, the ending basically gives Joel and Ellie what they needed, but it's also a very drastic departure from the original story.  It's one I'm torn on, because both stories are good, but we did sorta miss out on that whole area from the game.  It's different, but not a bad different.

Loved that Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker got roles in the show, I recognized Ashley Johnson immediately from her voice, I was like "That sounds weirdly like Ellie from the game" and then I realized it was her and it's so smart to bring her in like that.  Troy Baker I didn't recognize at all with his role since he wasn't trying to sound like Joel and with the extra beard and such, I didn't even recognize him. 

I don't think I have any real negatives, perhaps they could've worked in more interactions with the Clickers, it's such a small element of the TV show.  I know a game needs more of that for gameplay sake, maybe it didn't work for pacing the episodes, and that might just be me wanting to see a little more action for action sake, but still, it's a good show and I'm interested to see how they handle the second game with the next two seasons (As I believe it was confirmed that's how they are handling it so as to not rush it). 

That honestly going to be more interesting to me, because an issue I had with the Last of Us 2 was how that they handled the two storylines.  I didn't like it being big chunks of Ellie and then big chunks with Abby.  It felt horribly paced and I feel like a TV show could do reorganize it better perhaps, maybe even making it better than the game because of that, who knows.

« Reply #414 on: August 21, 2023, 11:34:57 pm »
Harley Quinn Season 4 - Still just a fun, goofy show, I enjoy that it gets to keep playing around with all these heroes and villains and just make them kinda either outright absurd or plays around with the kind of character they are.  It gives me a lot of Venture Bros vibes, so it's nice to have that with Venture Bros being done.

« Reply #415 on: August 25, 2023, 03:05:54 am »
Baki Hanma: Season 2 Part 2 - I hadn't even noticed they'd released part 2 of the season until I saw new stuff on TikTok, so went off to binge.  The first part was the craziest the show has been I think, the second part is way less crazy, it's only really about two characters, much more stripped back story wise than ever before.  Baki preparing for his fight with his father, and Retsu for some reason getting into boxing.  That Retsu stuff was okay, it gave me a huge craving to see the Hajime No Ippo anime return, but I don't know why he's doing the whole boxing versus martial arts thing at all really and by the halfway point of this part, it's just sorta over with.

The Baki stuff is where its at of course, leading up to the fight between him and his dad and it's definitely the stuff you expect from Baki.  I wouldn't say it's the craziest fight they've done and they aren't really going super hard on the animation still, there's some stuff happening at points, but it still feels fairly budget, it just works due to pretty decent art and pacing.

Also just thought I'd look up to see who voiced Baki in this, because he's pretty great and of course it's Troy Baker.  I'm surprised I didn't recognize him.

Hope the series continues as I know there's at least 2 more series of the show and another manga just started.  I'm sure it'll continue to be absolute nonsense as the rest of the show has been lol
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 03:08:26 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #416 on: August 29, 2023, 06:46:37 am »
Watchmen - Wild show, I had been meaning to watch it for awhile.  I was never a huge Watchmen fan, I read the comic, thought it was okay, watched the movie, thought it was okay, but this? This is really good.  At first the show confused me, like it seemed as if I came into a story having missed information, but as the show goes on, everything is revealed, everything makes sense, and it's just a crazy show, but really engaging, taking turns I wasn't expecting.  Honestly, kind of one of the most interesting tv shows I feel I've watched in awhile.

« Reply #417 on: September 02, 2023, 02:47:07 pm »
Tried to watch The Righteous Gemstones, loved the idea of it, good actors involved, but the comedy wasn't working.  I like the exaggerated personalities and such, but I wasn't vibing with the tone, the characters are such dicks, but not in a funny enough way.  I don't know, it's hard for me to explain, I might attempt another episode or two again, I've turned around on stuff before.

Gemstones is maybe my favorite show airing these days, but it is a very specific brand of humor that isn't for everyone.  I'd definitely recommend giving it another shot when you are in a different mood / mindset, but if it still doesn't click after an episode or two it's definitely not for you.

The newest season of What We Do in the Shadows is the strongest the show has been since season 2.  Not a dud in the batch IMO, even if it does not utilize Kristen Schaal to her full potential.  Plus, I could listen to Matt Berry read a phone book.

Justified: City Primeval was on ok revival series.  Some good characters like the OG series, but the writing and dialogue was not nearly as strong, and the pacing was slacking, especially in the first half.  Raylan is one of my favorite characters of all-time, so I was totally fine with it, even if it fell a little short of expectations. A decent 8 hour series that would have been a great 4 hour one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 04:06:44 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #418 on: September 03, 2023, 01:26:27 am »
One Piece (Live Action) - They finally did it, they created a great live action anime adaptation! And its based off one of my favorite shows! There really aren't many decent handlings of live action anime, Alita is okay (I still don't like her big cg eyes), and I heard the Rurouni Kenshin movies are good, but I don't care about that series, but if there was ever an adaptation that would fail, it would be One Piece.  It's an anime specifically designed to benefit from being a cartoon.  Crazy character designs, crazy abilities, crazy world.  Death Note? That should've been an easy home run, it's basically just a high energy drama with death gods showing up every so often. 

The whole cast is great, I think it benefitted certain characters quite alot, like Usopp was not a character I enjoyed till much later on in the series, and Sanji was always grating with his loverboy routine, so dialing both of those characters back makes them way more enjoyable.  They aren't different, just less extreme.  I loved that we got more Buggy, who kinda stole the show for a lot of people.  I actually can't think of anyone that I would point to as being way off base.  I also appreciate that they leaned into their character designs.  Some look silly, but they are silly characters.  Garp gets his silly dog hat, people get their wild hair colors, I've seen folks say that it's very "cosplay", but yeah...there's not much other way to go about it and I'm very glad they didn't dial up the realism too far.  One Piece is silly, let it be silly.

Story hits all the major story beats it needs to, there are definite shortenings, and some changes, characters not included, but this has to happen, they can't follow the anime exactly, or even the manga, it would be way too many episodes and unrealistic, but the story does what it needs to and that's what matters most.  I've seen some folks rag on the differences, but I think some people are just unwilling to admit that some stuff has to be different to make it work as a live action show.  Personalities have to be dialed down, things tweaked, characters and moments dropped that we really liked for the sake of a snappier, better paced story.

I would recommend this to fans and non-fans.  I've been dying for a way to rewatch One Piece at a brisker pace and it's a fun experience to see a variation on a story I like.  For non-fans, it's a fun comedic pirate romp with goofy characters, that's both light-hearted, but also abit of an edge, much like One Piece has always been.  I really hope we get a couple more seasons, like I feel that's a longshot even if it's successful for them, it's a pricey and very involved show, like I would love to at least see up to...Water 7 perhaps, that would be like Season 4, but we'll see. 

sworddude

« Reply #419 on: September 04, 2023, 03:34:37 pm »
The one piece live action looks to uncanny to me. I agree that it looks to cosplay but not in a proffesional good way, but than again I find it hard to imagine how you'd do it otherwise, even with improved budget it would probably not look that much different considering how crazy the original is.

Visuals wise the characters that got hit the hardest are the more monstrous characters. Stuff like buggy is nice though but that's a rare exception. Overall though the show to me is in the cheesy so bad it's good category. It looks ridiculous in a funny way, But I don't feel I can compare it to the original it's just to much of a downgrade for me.

Ironicly I feel that characters like zorro felt more like the character in interviews than in the actual show  ::)

But as a one piece fan it's cool to see people enjoy it.

One Piece (Live Action) -
Story hits all the major story beats it needs to, there are definite shortenings, and some changes, characters not included, but this has to happen, they can't follow the anime exactly, or even the manga, it would be way too many episodes and unrealistic, but the story does what it needs to and that's what matters most.  I've seen some folks rag on the differences, but I think some people are just unwilling to admit that some stuff has to be different to make it work as a live action show.  Personalities have to be dialed down, things tweaked, characters and moments dropped that we really liked for the sake of a snappier, better paced story.

it's natural for it to be somewhat different but they didn't condense it as much as I thought

ye had 1035 minutes of the anime condensed into 480 minutes which is pretty much 50% which is quite a bit of content still allot more than I expected.

If they do plan to continue this live action route. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to cut some of the more monstrous or animal characters perhaps even some main ones like chopper or brook. I don't think those would do the live action much good. Seems like a nightmare to work with to make it decent looking
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 03:55:21 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!