Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59817 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #150 on: September 15, 2020, 09:34:15 am »
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency has been a total surprise.  I started it expecting that maybe I would be providing a sensible chuckle here and there , but it is genuinely a laugh-out-loud delight of a show that I am already sad to hear that it ended 3 years ago.  Season 2 hasn't been quite as strong as Season 1, but it has doubled down on the bizarre and I am so here for it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 08:29:22 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #151 on: September 18, 2020, 07:00:19 am »

This was a random pick up, which has been doing good for me with Netflix lately, as I hadn't heard anything about the show Away, but it's a solid bit of realistic "Mission to Mars" storytelling.  Of course there's drama and problems to solve and there's stuff happening back on earth with the Commander's family to add a little more to show, but I like it.  It doesn't blow me away and there are a few times I sorta feel like the "illusion" of them being in space breaks a tiny bit, but for a TV drama, it's done well.  The Earth drama with the commander's family is probably where people could feel things drag, but I think it works well enough, and I like that they kept the story focused on just one family and not a whole bunch as they could've easily bogged the show down by having too many different stories with other families of the crew and so on.  I hope they get a second season to continue on as I could keep watching it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 07:02:08 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2020, 07:27:46 am »
Only have about a season and half left of Drunk History.  It didn't quite grab me at first, but after the first few episodes it's really become kind of a comfort show, and certain parts of it just feel like you are getting to hang around with these people, and you can maybe learn something!

kypherion

« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2020, 06:35:22 pm »
I started watching "The Boys" on Prime Video and it's pretty fantastic.
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2020, 10:12:11 pm »
Finally got around to watching Chernobyl.  It's astoundingly good.  Like wow, blew me away.

« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2020, 12:22:05 am »
Finally got around to watching Chernobyl.  It's astoundingly good.  Like wow, blew me away.

That was such a good show.  I've kinda had a weird fascination with Chernobyl since I got into the STALKER game series, so getting something about the general original history of it was very interesting and it's just a real well done show.

I've started into a rewatch of the classic Top Gear travel specials, I saw that if I get a Motortrend subscription on amazon, which is like a buck a month for two months right now, I could watch all their great specials, which I've rewatched a few times over the years.  The adventure episodes are a real enjoyable time, seeing all the scenery and shenanigans they go through and I forget enough of what happens after awhile, so going back, it's like I'm watching them new again lol

« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2020, 12:08:39 am »
I'll Be Gone in the Dark is a very good doco about Michelle Mcnamara's hunt for The Golden State Killer.  It has a few balancing issues regarding her life v. the case, but is otherwise very engrossing, even if there's not a ton of material that's not in the book.

« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2020, 12:22:18 pm »
Just started watching Raised by Wolves. Not sure what I make of the first episode; a little strange but glad I can binge watch 9 more episodes to see how it plays out.

« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2020, 08:41:33 am »
The Haunting of Bly Manor is very good, and an excellent companion piece to Hill House.  Where Hill was more of a horror show with drama elements Bly is more of a drama show with horror elements.

Finished the first season of Murder, She Wrote yesterday.  It's a delightful show, and perfect to have on in the background while I'm working.

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2020, 12:51:28 pm »
I've been bingeing anime lately.  Burned through K-on, My Love Story, Clannad, and maybe a few others.  I'm at the last episode or two of Toradora and a few episodes into Tamako Market.

I see a lot of stuff for Toradora folks being like Taiga is best girl and stuff, and she's good and all, but I like Minori better for Ryuuji.

« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2020, 03:58:14 am »

I've been just watching a ton of Simpsons mostly lol If it's a game without much story, I've just got playing Simpsons alongside it.  I've been basically watching Simpsons since Disney Plus came out and I'm up to Season 14 right now.  I still think the show is good, I don't have the nostalgia like other people do, though I understand why people don't really watch it past the 9th or 10th season.  Just gonna keep trucking away at this for probably the rest of the year.

« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2020, 07:42:13 am »
Watch the entire first season of Star Trek: Lower Decks over the weekend.  It wasn't perfect, but got progressively better with each episode, to where by the end it was probably one of the best season one finales Star Trek has ever had.  And it was very nice to be watching Star Trek that knows how to have fun again.

telekill

« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2020, 05:52:51 pm »
I just made the switch from Netflix to the Hulu/Disney+ combo. I also still have Prime. I'm finishing up Season 2 of The Boys on Prime. Disney+ has been content overload. Starting to watch some of the 90's Disney Afternoon cartoons with my kids. With Hulu, I'm watching Bob's Burgers.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2020, 12:32:21 am »
I finished my binge watch of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Damn good sci-fi series with great characters that just gets better as it goes on.

So then I continued with Star Trek: Enterprise (skipped Voyager as I've seen every episode more than once, never watched Enterprise). I'm near the end of season 1, and it's good by normal sci-fi series standards, but compared to the various awesome 90s Star Trek series it feels like it lost a step. I hope it gets better as it goes on, but it's still watchable nonetheless.

And speaking of Star Trek, ST: Discovery Season 3 began with a bang! What an action-packed 2 episodes to kick things off. Can't wait for next Thursday to see what the far-flung future has in store for the re-established, fledging Starfleet and the Discovery crew.

Other than Star Trek, though, I'm not watching much. Usually I'm watching the new season of fall superhero shows and wrestling. But COVID has both of those pushed back. As an NWA fan, Billy Corgan has unfortunately cancelled NWA Powerrr indefinetly until the pandemic has ended. The CW has postponed it's slew of DC superhero shows until 2021. And I'm not seeing much else aimed in my direction coming in the near future. I do collect movies, too, though, so I always have those to watch.

« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2020, 02:31:22 pm »
Yeah, I really liked the first two Disco episodes.  It has nice to see Michael having fun for once.

Just watched The Boys S2 this weekend.  It's really good.  It's nice to see superhero media get kind of railed.