Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59854 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #195 on: March 09, 2021, 01:58:03 pm »
I loved it. I have to admit I thought the first 2 episodes dragged. But after that, it really got intriguing.

I grew up watching Nick At Nite as a kid, and other re-runs of old shows, watching like Dick Van Dyke, I Love Lucy, Bewitched, I wasn't really much of a sitcom person, but I enjoyed that stuff, so it was kinda fun watching that kind of stuff again, even if a lot of story didn't really happen at the start.

I loved the beginning stuff.  I am also a Nick at Nite kid, and still like watching that classic stuff to this day.  I almost wish that WandaVision had more of it, and was disappointed that they had basically abandoned the TV show conceit for the last couple of episodes.

Been watching Bored to Death on HBO.  Halfway finished with the series.  It's light and fun, but had a bit of an identity crisis up front.  It's been steadily getting better then entire time, though - and I do love me some Ted Danson.

UPDATE: The rest of the second season of Bored to Death was great.  Season 3 was fun, but felt a hair off.

Murder, She Wrote Season Three.  Oh Jessica, who won't you get killed by traveling to their town?

Began my crusade to watch the last two seasons of Modern Family.  Maybe it's just because I took two years off, but I'm finding myself relatively impressed by Season Ten.  It's not nearly as good as it was in the beginning, and the younger kid actors can be kind of grating, but I am definitely laughing out loud at least once or twice an episode.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 09:18:50 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2021, 01:54:50 am »

Random show watching led to me checking out Jack Ryan on Amazon which was alright.  Political/Global Terror thriller sort of deal.  Watched both seasons of the show and while I think the first season has the better story, it feels way better paced, the second season had some extra aggression to it since it got more personal for Ryan.  The finale for the second season, I felt slightly confused by, I'm not sure how they justified it, maybe I missed some details before it, but it's generally not a bad show if you are into this kind of thriller.

« Reply #197 on: April 01, 2021, 06:31:00 pm »
Finished the last two season of Modern Family.  A couple of characters remained charming until the end, but others (Manny, especially) were insufferable.  I'm glad actually decided to stick it out and finish the show.

Solar Opposites Season 2.  Better than the first I think.  Leans more into Rick and Morty territory while still being its own thing.

The Sinner Season Three.  Started strong but got really meandering in the back half.  Easily the worst season so far.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:39:48 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2021, 03:30:36 am »

I know absolutely nothing about DOTA, never really played it, but I dug DOTA: Dragon's Blood.  It's done by the same studio who's done Korra, Voltron, Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, so it's a little weird seeing them do an adult animation in a style similar to the first two lol Blood, cursing, a proper fantasy show.  I like the main lead, he's a good hero type burdened by something he can't control, and the other leads also are handled well.  The action is pretty solid, I chuckled a few times here and there with the humor when it popped up, it's a good watch.  I feel like the only negative I have is that it felt like I was losing track of some of the story, mostly around stuff with the Goddess, there's a number of story arcs happening beyond just what the main Dragon Knight is doing, so it's kind of a lot overall.  Not a bad thing, it's just that you gotta focus on the story more.

I am still looking forward to season 2 though.

« Reply #199 on: April 13, 2021, 05:07:51 am »

Another random pickup, I saw this advertise on the main page for Netflix, and thought Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars was something new, but it's apparently from 2017 lol Visually it's really nice, it's an anime styled film, though with some more realistic stylings to it compared to what you usually expect from anime.  I feel like this one had a weird tone to it, it has that cheesy, hyper-patriotic, attitude you remember from the first original movie, but all the soldiers are wearing these dark and gritty power armor suits, like it's all trying to be more serious than it is.  I think that aspect might just be a part of the greater Starship Troopers world itself that I don't know about, I don't remember if I watched any of the other Starship Troopers stuff they've done.

I haven't seen the movie that was before this one as this is a sequel to that for sure, but the animation was pretty good, all the action worked, and a fun note was that they got Casper Van Dien and Dina Meyer to come back and play their characters from the original movie, even if visually the characters look nothing like they use to lol An odd bit was that they had live action news story stuff amid this very anime looking show, which was an odd choice lol Overall, not a bad watch, not a strong recommend or anything, but if you just want a scifi flick and got some Starship Troopers nostalgia at all, there's something here.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 05:10:57 am by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2021, 12:42:01 pm »
Going through Stargate SG-1 on Netflix. I used to catch re-runs here and there, but I've never watched it as a whole series, before. Really enjoying it. Just started Season 2.

« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:07 pm »
The West Wing seasons 6 & 7.  A big bounce back from season 5.  It's not nearly as good as it was in the early years, but I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying the run up to the finale, which I'm about to start.

« Reply #202 on: April 30, 2021, 01:46:58 am »

Just finished the first season of Invincible and gotta say I'm so glad they've already confirmed Season 2 and 3.  It's a great show, good animation, good story and characters, it's just all around quality.  I went in with no knowledge of what the show was other than it was by Robert Kirkman and it was about superheroes, but that was it and I highly recommend folks do that too with the show, no trailers, no reviews, just give it a watch and by the end of the first episode, you'll know if you want to keep going.

« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2021, 05:56:28 pm »

Finally got around to finishing Primal, it's not a show I can just have on the side while I play something, but I feel like this might be Genndy's best show.  Just the art style, the horror of it, the drama without a single word said, it's an intense show and you feel for these two unlikely partners in this terrifying ancient fantasy world.  I know Samurai Jack is considered probably his most well known and loved show, for good reasons, I love Samurai Jack, but this one feels like a show you'd just never see a creator get to make, because it goes against every thing a studio would want to see out of an animated show these days. 

It's genuinely horrific and sad, there's long pauses for dramatic build up, and with no dialogue.  I could not recommend this show more, it's incredible.  I'm glad it is getting more episodes.

« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2021, 05:23:54 pm »
Finally got around to the final season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D..  The first half was super fun, but it got kinda bogged down with lame villains in the back half.  Overall way better than Season 6.

« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2021, 10:30:40 am »
Superstore - 20minutes of heavenly good entertainment! binged all the seasons in the last few weeks and i cant think of anything lately in the last few years that has matched its comedy. Glad they wrapped it up when they did as it was getting weaker in the last few seasons.

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2021, 12:31:41 pm »
Mare of Easttown - 3 Episodes in and very good, be interesting to see where it goes.

Also, still working my way through SEAL Team, over half way of Season 1 down, enjoying it.

« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2021, 11:02:55 pm »
Castlevania is the gold standard for video game adaptations.  It takes some liberties, but keeps the ideas and themes intact.  So, so good.

Schitt's Creek is so relentlessly positive by the end of its run.  I'm very glad I got around to this.  While the first two seasons weren't bad, they aren't really an indicator of the bastion of happiness that the last two seasons are.  Hearty recommend if you want a light-hearted, positive, comedy.

The Critic has generally aged pretty well since it's original run in the mid-90s.  There are few questionable and outdated jokes, but I found myself laughing more often than not.  Worth revisiting if you have fond memories.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 08:44:31 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2021, 12:16:29 am »
Star Trek Voyager -(Currentyly Season 3): Second time watching through this series, quite enjoying it this time.

The Flash - (Current season): I like this show, but it seems like it might be nearing it's end.  :(

Twilight Zone the 80s series - (Season 2): So far a good mix of serious/goofy episodes.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2021, 11:45:41 am »
Star Trek Voyager -(Currentyly Season 3): Second time watching through this series, quite enjoying it this time.

The Flash - (Current season): I like this show, but it seems like it might be nearing it's end.  :(

Twilight Zone the 80s series - (Season 2): So far a good mix of serious/goofy episodes.

Excellent tastes.