Author Topic: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)  (Read 59776 times)

Re: What TV/Netflix show are you currently watching? (Megathread)
« Reply #240 on: October 14, 2021, 04:36:50 am »
With all the hype around Squid Game right now, I figured I'd better give it a watch before I'm spoiled about what happens and I dug it.  It's a really solid drama/thriller with an interesting enough premise.  I think it's overhyped abit as things can be nowadays I feel when something starts to get popular (I think people are taken back by its premise, which isn't super common in western shows outside of like maybe Hunger Games, but I've seen it plenty in anime and what not), but it's genuinely a solid show with some intense moments, good pacing, and good acting.

Visually I dig the look of the show, it comes across very retro with some of its style, like it could've been made in the 70's.  Having it all be Korean kid games too makes for this weirdly lighthearted element to so much death and drama happening.  My only complaints is that the story feels a little wonky in spots and the ending could have been better, but it's still like an 8 out of 10 show, I do recommend it as it's nice to have another piece of interesting Korean media, which reminds me to go and watch Parasite.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:53:32 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2021, 04:24:22 pm »
LuLa Rich is a documentary about LuLa Roe on Amazon.  Totally shady company, but I feel like they did this doco too early, since the company and founders are still around, so there are a lot of unanswered questions and stuff that doesn't get addressed.

The Movies that Made Us - Not nearly as interesting as The Toys that Made Us, but decent to have on the background.  Still not the biggest fan of how this team edits stuff.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 02:22:02 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #242 on: October 28, 2021, 05:01:39 pm »
Sliced Bread Is The Best Thing Since Cobra Kai

Cobra Kai is better than a sweet cream cheese on a toasted bagel, it's that sequel we were denied. It's all I can share and more.  For one the acting is top tier.  Ralph Maccio still has it.  Johnny Lawrence goes from being one of the most hated men in 80s lore to now being someone we belove and his arch is anime levels of profound :D

If your Mrs. offers you to fly to rome and even chocolate covered strawberries off glascapes overlooking gondolas.  Or if your trampoline park is having a pizza night.  Cobra Kai is better.  If you imagine the best dream you ever had. Cobra Kai is better.

It also has a tubular and bodacious soundtrack.  And I am actively on my journey to be Johnny Lawrence by buying a 91 Trans Am and drinking coors banquet beer while wearing leather and kicking unadulterated wholesale ass.  The best.

soera

« Reply #243 on: October 28, 2021, 06:37:29 pm »
Finishing up season 6 of Lucifer. Watched all of the Marvel series. Waiting for Hawkeye which should start in 2 or 3 weeks.

« Reply #244 on: November 02, 2021, 08:48:11 pm »
With all the hype around Squid Game right now, I figured I'd better give it a watch before I'm spoiled about what happens and I dug it.  It's a really solid drama/thriller with an interesting enough premise.  I think it's overhyped abit as things can be nowadays I feel when something starts to get popular (I think people are taken back by its premise, which isn't super common in western shows outside of like maybe Hunger Games, but I've seen it plenty in anime and what not), but it's genuinely a solid show with some intense moments, good pacing, and good acting.

Visually I dig the look of the show, it comes across very retro with some of its style, like it could've been made in the 70's.  Having it all be Korean kid games too makes for this weirdly lighthearted element to so much death and drama happening.  My only complaints is that the story feels a little wonky in spots and the ending could have been better, but it's still like an 8 out of 10 show, I do recommend it as it's nice to have another piece of interesting Korean media, which reminds me to go and watch Parasite.

Exactly my thoughts.  It's huge with people that have never seen anything like it before.  That's not to say it's bad, it's pretty good, with at least one truly great episode in the middle, but there are two plot lines that basically go no where, and it is kinda predictable in spots.

Lovecraft Country doesn't quite add up to the sum of its parts.  It's well acted, written, and executed, but it never quite gels to reach the heights its aiming for.  I'm really liking it, but totally understand why it didn't find an audience.

Lodge 49 is an incredibly weird, joyous, melancholic little show.  It's such a wonderfully realized world, and every character feels so lived in and real.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:15:09 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2021, 03:51:52 am »
Watched Part 2 of Masters of the Universe: Revelation and it's a great watch.  I know old fans have issues with the show because it isn't about He-Man anymore, but I guess I don't really care about that, the old show was dumb and goofy and they already did a bunch of stuff with He-Man and Skeletor, so the show revolving more around Teela and Evil-Lyn makes it more interesting as there is more character to work with compared Prince Boy Scout and Evil Skeleton Man.  Heck, there's even a nod to this idea at the very end of the show basically saying there is more here than just their fight.

That being said, the show is genuinely good, it's got some solid enough story telling and the action is pretty great.  I don't think its highs hit as high as say Castlevania did, but it's very consistent and well done.  I'm sure there are some plot issues here and there and probably a little too much ease to how new powers are utilized if I wanted to try and be more critical, but I don't know, the show just keeps clipping on at a good pace where it never felt like it hurt or anything or became too noticeable to be bothersome.  It's still a power fantasy, but unlike say a Dragon Ball Z, there's better setup to the power being given.  For the most part that is.

Definitely looking forward to more of the show.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 04:47:31 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2021, 04:17:27 am »
Chucky! I think it started off kinda slow with the first two episodes but the show got much better. Season finale is this Tuesday.

« Reply #247 on: December 02, 2021, 04:53:42 am »
Binged through the live action Cowboy Bebop and had a great time with it.  It's certainly not an ideal adaptation, it's not on the same level as the anime at all, but what I enjoyed is the general expansion of things.  More casual time spent with all the characters was entertaining., I enjoyed that, even if the dialogue could get abit goofy at times, but it wasn't as terrible as I had been hearing, or at least enough to bother me.  Really, I went into this not with the idea in mind of it being better or even as good, just to see if they could make a good show, because I think on its own, it's very entertaining.  The action is good, a lot of the scifi stuff is great (Some wonky CG and effects strewn about, but it's mostly good for a tv show), and I think it hits most of the story beats it needs to for the things it is adapting.

The original is better, no doubt about that, but I still had fun with this version even if it is imperfect.

« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2021, 05:30:20 pm »
Doing a complete rewatch of The Expanse for a lead up to the premiere of the sixth, and final, season.  Perhaps the greatest sci-fi series ever created.

« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2021, 05:45:26 pm »
Doing a complete rewatch of The Expanse for a lead up to the premiere of the sixth, and final, season.  Perhaps the greatest sci-fi series ever created.

The only problem to me with it is the first season drags like crazy to get good.  Multiple people had the same problem I had, where it doesn't really take off till like episode 5 or 6 and its such a weird hurdle for a show that does get really good.  I'm actually behind myself, I still need to watch most of Season 5.

« Reply #250 on: December 08, 2021, 11:41:49 am »

The only problem to me with it is the first season drags like crazy to get good.  Multiple people had the same problem I had, where it doesn't really take off till like episode 5 or 6 and its such a weird hurdle for a show that does get really good.  I'm actually behind myself, I still need to watch most of Season 5.

I enjoyed it from the first episode, but I'm a sucker for good world-building.  It was probably episode 4 that made me really sit up and start paying attention, and it was episode 8 when I realized that I loved the show.  This is like my fifth rewatch in 3 years.

Ally McBeal - The second season is better in pretty much every way.  It skids off track about the halfway mark with some bad love triangle BS.  It's so much better when it is an off-kilter comedy about weirdo lawyers.

Enlightened - A dramedy that aired on HBO about a decade ago.  Incredibly well acted and written, but crushingly sad.  Had to take a break after the first season (of two).

The Witcher - The second season is a major step in the wrong direction. Bogged down with uninteresting politics, lame characters, and a distinct lack of Witcher-ing.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 07:23:45 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2021, 12:42:41 am »

Exactly my thoughts.  It's huge with people that have never seen anything like it before.  That's not to say it's bad, it's pretty good, with at least one truly great episode in the middle, but there are two plot lines that basically go no where, and it is kinda predictable in spots.

Lovecraft Country doesn't quite add up to the sum of its parts.  It's well acted, written, and executed, but it never quite gels to reach the heights its aiming for.  I'm really liking it, but totally understand why it didn't find an audience.

Lodge 49 is an incredibly weird, joyous, melancholic little show.  It's such a wonderfully realized world, and every character feels so lived in and real.

You could start a film critic blog or something not gonna lie lol. Everytime a new thing comes out I come back here to see Cartagia's take on it. Definitely thorough input :) 

With that said I finally finished all 6 seasons of Schitt's Creek.

Thiers plenty of solid character growth here, I think I relate to everyone except Alexis. Alexis starts off tollerable buit quickly becomes like nails on a chalkboard. She is selfish, and agrondizingly needy like a succulent plant that needs constant watering but with a 2000 dollar a week purse budget. The actress really did a good job capturing the valley girl, rich daughter vibe with her.

Roland, Stevie, Johnny and David all see themselves grow as a family.

Their is a little something for everyone in this one and one of my favorites :)

« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2021, 08:35:40 am »

You could start a film critic blog or something not gonna lie lol. Everytime a new thing comes out I come back here to see Cartagia's take on it. Definitely thorough input :)

I've done both the blog thing and the freelance thing for other sites, with a small amount of success, but it got to the point that it sucked all the fun out of it.  I'm on Letterboxd now, which is where I keep closer track of the movies I've seen.

My profile on Letterboxd https://boxd.it/qGyR

« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2021, 11:31:00 pm »
While I've been on board with the Marvel shows so far, Hawkeye was mostly a miss to me.  It was pretty boring till episode 3, where the action was at least entertaining, but it didn't pick up a whole lot after that.  The show drags for the most part till the end where a cool character shows up and it perks things up, but it doesn't salvage the show.  Honestly the show comes across more like one of the Netflix shows, which isn't a knock against them, they were just clearly lower budget affairs with lower stakes and this show is much lower stakes.  This is just that with some more production to it.

The problem I feel is that to me, Hawkeye isn't interesting enough, Kate Bishop is kinda obnoxious, and the threat in the show is REALLY lame.  We go from magical witches, to superpowered terrorists, to a time traveling FBI, and here we get low level mob thugs.  The story stuff of Clint dealing with his trauma abit more and the repercussions of his time as Ronin is okay, but it doesn't hold up an entire series when I don't care too much for the characters involved.  I feel like if this had just been a one shot movie for Disney Plus, instead of 6 episodes, it would've been better.

Oh well, they can't all be winners.

« Reply #254 on: December 23, 2021, 07:04:30 am »
While I've been on board with the Marvel shows so far, Hawkeye was mostly a miss to me.  It was pretty boring till episode 3, where the action was at least entertaining, but it didn't pick up a whole lot after that.  The show drags for the most part till the end where a cool character shows up and it perks things up, but it doesn't salvage the show.  Honestly the show comes across more like one of the Netflix shows, which isn't a knock against them, they were just clearly lower budget affairs with lower stakes and this show is much lower stakes.  This is just that with some more production to it.
[...]

Oh well, they can't all be winners.

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan either.  It had decent action (except the rooftop fight, which was awful and had terrible greenscreen) and great character moments (the scene between Kate and Yelena is one of my favorites in the latter era MCU), but overall it just felt kind of stiff and lifeless.

Enlightened Season Two - Better than the first in pretty much every way. Not that the first was bad, it just felt like a trial run for this superior version of the show that is far more hopeful and not crushingly sad.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 03:42:21 pm by Cartagia »