Author Topic: What was the WEIRDEST game you played as a kid?  (Read 9565 times)

Re: What was the WEIRDEST game you played as a kid?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:16 pm »
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk - have at you!

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:09 pm »
Ha! Kabuki Quantum Fighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SopEVWVkGkg
Madness! reminds me of Batman in a way... but weird lol

For me I'd have to say Toe Jam and Earl for Genesis...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vloYvK2sK1g
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:37:14 pm by pceslayer »

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 11:35:51 pm »
Hands down.. i'm thinking Kid Chameleon and ToeJam and Earl both for Genesis. Probably a few others that i'm not thinking of right now.

scott

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 12:30:03 am »
Congos Caper on SNES. You're a monkey, turned into a caveman that fights other cavemen and dinosaurs in order to save your monkey girlfriend.  I'll look for a YouTube link tomorrow ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

ffxik

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 03:01:42 am »
I'd never heard of Out Of This World until I saw the Game Center CX for it. Posting it here because Arino is hilarious at pretty much every game he plays, and this one is no exception.

It should be noted for anyone interested.  That Eric Chahi left Delphine Software and founded his own dev studio, Amazing Studio.  Which gave us Heart of Darkness on the Playstation. 

I would say that as a youth my weirdest games would have had to had been, Earthworm Jim and Booger Man.  After those nothing much surprises me anymore.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:44:11 am by ffxik »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:42 am »
"Charles Barkley Shut up & jam Gaiden"

needs to be on this list, too (also, in a *good* way :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 11:17:25 am »
Obviously none of you have played the game I mentioned or you wouldnt even be recommending any other games!

jobocan

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 11:32:57 am »
Obviously none of you have played the game I mentioned or you wouldnt even be recommending any other games!

What, ET? It's not that weird, just hard to play because the objective makes no sense.

foxhack

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 09:53:34 pm »
Do you happen to remember what they changed or have a site or something that I could look at for differences? I'm doing my draft thesis this summer (basically a research project that they then determine whether or not it's viable as a thesis/dissertation) on the changes made when games are localized and how those differences related to culture. I have a whole list of games for examples but I've never heard of this one. Oh, and if anyone else has anything good like this, let me know.

The Cutting Room Floor has a page on that. :)

I go and add stuff to the wiki every so often, here's the main regional differences category. Some pages are small, while others are very extensive!

amauriel

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »
The Cutting Room Floor has a page on that. :)

I go and add stuff to the wiki every so often, here's the main regional differences category. Some pages are small, while others are very extensive!

This is great. I didn't even know this site existed! I'll be digging through these for a while. Thanks!
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2012, 02:27:26 am »
ET was awful, it was pretty much what killed atari back in the day

scott

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2012, 10:15:58 am »

Damn you Steven Spielberg!  ;)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2012, 10:50:56 am »

Damn you Steven Spielberg!  ;)
hay scott you know if thare was no video game crash of 1983 bad a$$ consoles like the entex adventure vision (http://www.adventurevision.com/ and http://www.gameover.nl/oud/consoles/avision.htm)  would not be rare

blipcs76

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 12:22:05 pm »

I don't blame the game, I blame Atari.  They paid something outrageous for the license, like $20 million dollars.  But with that type of monetary investment, the actual game seemed like an oversight to them.  They had Howard Scott Warshaw create it, but gave him 5 weeks -- by himself -- to crank out an ET game.  He was a good game designer, who was originally responsible for Yars Revenge.  But with 5 weeks how can you expect to craft a masterpiece?

ET actually has a reputation that's far worse than it deserves.  It was crap, but it's far from the worst game I've played on the 2600.

htimreimer

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 12:28:53 pm »
for it captain bible

it about futuristic knight that must save a city thats capture in the dome of darkness (its sin just a dome of sin) so you go threw a dungeon crawler like setting and saving people from sin and killing robots with the power of bible verses and brute force also they have green blood and after saving all people from sin you must get out of city with a rocket ship and to start it up the rocket you must complete a bible quiz first

so is that weird enough for you
for some reason i expected more of a reaction from this