Author Topic: Remakes and Remasters - Yay or Nay?  (Read 1356 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Remakes and Remasters - Yay or Nay?
« on: July 20, 2020, 01:45:03 pm »
Do you buy remakes/remasters? Or are you in the camp that thinks they are a waste of time and only made because of a lack of imagination? If you do like them, what are some of your favorites?

I warmed up to the idea of remasters. At first, I thought it was stupid. Why buy a game you already own? Which as a collector, if it's a game that interested me, there's a good chance I already had it. But later on, I decided HD and achievements make it worth it, as long as the price isn't too bad and it's a game I really enjoy.

Remakes, however, I've always been big on, as long as it's something I enjoy. I always like seeing what changes were made to a remake. Resident Evil 1 and Metroid: Zero Mission being my favorite ones. So well done and examples that others can look to. DuckTales Remastered was damn good, too.

telekill

Re: Remakes and Remasters - Yay or Nay?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 02:38:36 pm »
When I saw that PS3 games were basically being ported en-mass to the PS4, I held off initially. I ended up finally deciding to consolidate my favorite PS3 games over to the PS4 and sell off my PS3 and its collection. Then I started seeing more games coming to the forefront like Resident Evil Remake and Shenmue. I'm absolutely on board for the older games being put on modern systems.

The only remasters I'm wanting at this point is the Mass Effect trilogy on PS5.

Remakes are where I'm really at with this though. Resident Evil 2 Remake showed that Capcom has what it takes to successfully bring a classic into the modern age. I have yet to try RE3 Remake but it's on my list. I even just beat Final Fantasy 7 Remake a couple weeks ago. Very happy with it and enjoyed diving deeper into the story. Even older remakes like Ducktales and Bionic Commando were incredibly well done.

I'd love to see Dino Crisis get the remake treatment. Keep the suspense of the first, the action of the second, ignore the third. Keep Regina and Dylan. Allow for online co-op. Use the RE engine and keep the controls of RE2/3 Remake and put it on PS5. That would be potentially epic. Epic enough that I would consider breaking my "no collector's editions" rule for it.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 02:47:26 pm »
100% behind any and all remasters/remakes.  Usually for a remaster, they tend to be nice ways to re-release older games with improvements that usually make a game better.  This isn't always the case as we know of disasters like the Silent Hill collection, but generally they've been pretty great.  Remakes I'm all about if they improve the game in good ways.  Like I haven't played the Shadow of the Colossus remake, but that's a game that is only gonna benefit from better visuals and performance.  I also love it for games that I personally didn't like to play, but now can experience in new ways, like Resident Evil 2.  I don't like the original games for their controls and camera, so getting that overhauled completely made for one of the best games I played last year.  Resident Evil 3 Remake wasn't the best it could be, but I still liked it too.  Final Fantasy 7 Remake is also amazing and there have been good Remakes that kept the original spirit intact like the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 02:56:03 pm »
When I saw that PS3 games were basically being ported en-mass to the PS4, I held off initially. I ended up finally deciding to consolidate my favorite PS3 games over to the PS4 and sell off my PS3 and its collection. Then I started seeing more games coming to the forefront like Resident Evil Remake and Shenmue. I'm absolutely on board for the older games being put on modern systems.

The only remasters I'm wanting at this point is the Mass Effect trilogy on PS5.

Remakes are where I'm really at with this though. Resident Evil 2 Remake showed that Capcom has what it takes to successfully bring a classic into the modern age. I have yet to try RE3 Remake but it's on my list. I even just beat Final Fantasy 7 Remake a couple weeks ago. Very happy with it and enjoyed diving deeper into the story. Even older remakes like Ducktales and Bionic Commando were incredibly well done.

I'd love to see Dino Crisis get the remake treatment. Keep the suspense of the first, the action of the second, ignore the third. Keep Regina and Dylan. Allow for online co-op. Use the RE engine and keep the controls of RE2/3 Remake and put it on PS5. That would be potentially epic. Epic enough that I would consider breaking my "no collector's editions" rule for it.

RE3 is awesome. Loved it. Totally worth playing.

The complaints that's it's short, and The Nemesis shows up in pre-scripted events too often are valid. But they were valid in the original game, so it doesn't bother me and they aren't even close to being game-breaking stuff.

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 03:49:01 pm »
I always try go for the best port I can get my hands on, so when there is a Remaster available there is a good chance I will get it. Some Remasters of PSP games like Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep or Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker have really benefited from being put onto a system which has a controller with a better layout.

Shadow of the Colossus is an interesting example as it has a PS3 Remaster & a PS4 Remake. I'm perfectly content with the PS3 Remaster as it takes the original game, bumps the resolution into HD & Widescreen and that is all I want for most PS2 games. The PS4 version is great too, but in all honesty it never felt necessary.

When it comes to Remakes... I never find myself getting excited for them until they're in my hands, there's never any pre-hype building until there release and I really find them just a great indulgence - Not saying it is bad but I would have been perfectly happy with the Crash & Spyro trilogy sets in their original style, upscaled to a crisp resolution and set to widescreen.

Resident Evil is a great example this gen of Remasters/Remakes making a series accessible again. I have 10 Resident Evil games on disc for the PS4 & it has actually made the series as a whole much more enjoyable - Yakuza is another series which has thrived this gen due to Remakes & Remasters.

But then I look at Xbox & how they've handled backwards compatibility - Some of the Xbox 360 titles on Xbox ONE X look liked full on Remasters just from popping the disc in the newer system - Check out the Final Fantasy XIII titles on Xbox One X, it's really impressive and better than many of the Remasters I've bought on the PS4! Xbox's dedication to Backwards Compatibility could really be the reason I buy Xbox next gen, which is coming from someone who has been camp Playstation since the original!

pzeke

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 06:21:02 pm »
If it's a remake, there's a good chance I'll try it, but remasters I don't particularly care much for. If they land on my lap, then that's another story, like most recently with God of War III Remastered, which I got in a lot. The same happened with The Last of Us Remastered when I got it in the Black Friday PS4 bundle.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 10:05:06 pm »
For Final Fantasy games, nope (I count Origins as a port because it keep the NES version's difficulty and inventory system intact.)

dhaabi

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 01:28:30 pm »
I generally avoid remakes and remasters. I would rather enjoy the game as intended on the console it was originally developed for. In recent memory, I was disappointed with the Spyro: Reignited Trilogy remake of the original three Spyro the Dragon titles. I personally would like to see more developers working on innovative and creative ideas than going back to old ones for an easy cash grab.

kashell

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 02:08:45 pm »
It depends on the game, but I usually go for both. Sometimes, a remaster can have some bonus perks/features that make the experience smoother than the original.

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 01:10:44 pm »
I have no problem with them, and in fact I've ended up loving most of these more than the original releases. There are exceptions like Final Fantasy VIII and Silent Hill 2 and 3, but for the most part I've been happy with most.

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 02:27:05 pm »
For Final Fantasy games, nope (I count Origins as a port because it keep the NES version's difficulty and inventory system intact.)

I actually found the PSP Remakes of 1,2 & 4 fantastic, but then I don't go into JRPGs for difficulty. I love the crisp visual design - Then sadly 5 & 6 got the horrid bubbly characters in their iOS versions.

I've still yet to play the 3D Remakes of 3 & 4.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 09:03:57 am »
If the remake/remaster is good, yes. If not, no.