Author Topic: Classic Heretic/Hexen Game Series Opinion Topic  (Read 653 times)

Classic Heretic/Hexen Game Series Opinion Topic
« on: April 24, 2021, 06:05:00 am »

(a worthy note is that Hexen also has a Nintendo 64 port.)

Well I just played and beat the full game of "Heretic Shadow Of The Serpent Riders" and I absolutely LOVE this game, first off the quotes below are previous posts by members and staff of this forum about this series. First off? this game is what others have said below. Yes it's a First Person Shooter where you need to often find hidden areas in the game. That have switches you need to activate in order to move forward and get keys and stuff "Switch hunt"

But IF you use your map the game it's a lot easier not to get stuck. First off using "TAB" key on PC, allows you to see the level and where you have and have not been before.

(hint) use the F key to scroll around at the entire map without moving your character while in map mode.

and you need to use your map a TON is you want to beat this game without cheating, and No the map is not considered cheating. It's actually your best friend, in later levels. Especially in Episode 5's levels. You absolutely NEED to find most of the hidden areas, and secrets, to find all the keys and activate all the switches in order to advance.

This game series is An original DOOM clone. And it's a lot like Doom with a touch of Zelda. but not really that much Zelda ish. You have magical powers as well as projectiles to shoot at your foes. All the weapons are Fantasy. Like a magical crossbow, or a staff that shoots projectiles. and other weapons. the game is basically Doom, since you fight demon bad guys. But not the same demons as in the DOOM series. There is more blood and gore in "Heretic Shadow Of The Serpent Riders" than in original DOOM

If you want to play Heretic or most hexen games on the PC I highly recommend  you download all these Heretic/Hexen games and running them with the Zandronum Engine. Zandronum is a free to download engine for Windows and other OS's and it allows the game make proper usage out of the Keyboard and Mouse together rather than just the using just the keyboard.

HERETIC AND HEXEN GAMES WITH WAD FILES COMPATABLE WITH FREE ZANDRONUM ENGINE. (THIS IS NOT A HYPERLINK AND THIS WAS DONE TO AVOID SPAMMING THIS SITE ON THIS FORUM)

1. Heretic: Shadow Of The Serpent Riders
2. Hexen: Beyond Heretic
3. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel

not playable with Zandronum

Hexen II
Heretic II

Very fun campaign with slick production values, I enjoyed it. And best of all, Nathan Fillon was a voice-actor for one of the main characters! Still not quite as good as the main trilogy, though.

Heretic on PC.

Love the game. Just recently downloaded it off of Steam and it brought back a lot of nostalgia. From the looks of the map that shows in-between levels, though, the game seemed to skip one building. Is that normal, or is there something I have to do to get there?

I've since started HeXen, and despite all the improvements, I like Heretic better. I like the FPS style of gameplay it offered. There's too much melee combat in HeXen. Yeah, there's the mage, but it still doesn't feel the same. Oh well, it's still a fun game and I'm enjoying it as well.

Heretic episode 5 can get rekt. I now know why people complain that the game is a switch hunt, it is exactly what it is. That being said, the levels are amazingly constructed, especially for the Doom engine. I don't think I will go back to it, I think I'm done with Heretic. Onto Hexen.

COPY AND PASTE FOLLOWING LINK FOR DOWNLOAD
Code: [Select]
https://zandronum.com/
(HERE IS A LINK TO ALL THE GAMES YOU CAN PLAY WITH ZANDRONUM AND A LOT OF THEM ARE FREE TO DOWNLOAD AND PLAY AS WELL)
Code: [Select]
https://zdoom.org/wiki/IWAD
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:55:53 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

hexen

Re: Classic Heretic/Hexen Game Series Opinion Topic
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 10:42:47 pm »
I have played Hexen probably about halfway through. It's pretty interesting, but nothing that stood out to me as astounding. Maybe I just played it too late where the appeal of Doom-likes had faded.

I just felt I should post in this thread because of... some reason. I dunno what it could be. *Shrug*
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

Re: Classic Heretic/Hexen Game Series Opinion Topic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 07:54:40 am »
I have played Hexen probably about halfway through. It's pretty interesting, but nothing that stood out to me as astounding. Maybe I just played it too late where the appeal of Doom-likes had faded.

I just felt I should post in this thread because of... some reason. I dunno what it could be. *Shrug*

yea I plan to beat "Hexen: Beyond Heretic" as well as it's sequel "Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel"

I know it might take a LONG time but it took me at least 14 hours (wasn't counting) to fully complete "Heretic: Shadow Of The Serpent Riders" on it's EASY difficulty setting this series is defiantly different from Doom but it originally used the same build engine as Doom. so if any of you that are interested in playing or doing a YouTube video of it's it's a great game, but I still need to check out the 3 sequels, and I played Heretic 2 back as a teen but never beat it, but hopefully I'll find a digital version of Heretic II in the near future since Steam does not have Heretic II as  buyable option as of this post.
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"