Author Topic: Once we get Amiibos for all 6 Smash FP2 characters is Amiibo support done?  (Read 1914 times)

Do you think once all 6 characters from Smash Ultimate's second Fighters Pass (Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Pyra/Mythra and the remaining 2 characters) get Amiibo made of them will Nintendo is going to no longer make/support new Amiibo releases? and will they discontinue production of the ones already released?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 02:31:12 pm by martymcfly »

dhaabi

Outside of the Super Smash Bros. line of amiibo, just as recently as this past February were amiibo made as a part of the Super Mario series subset. I'm sure that Nintendo is still invested in them. I wouldn't be surprised if more amiibo were released for Splatoon 3 and BotW 2, for instance.

sworddude

I don't think allot of people buy amiibo these days. Will definitely discontinue if I had to guess.

During the amiibo hype days even normal people had to have them now it's more of a niche thing for the super hardcore to get some of those latest characters.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

I don't think so, there are amiibo made for other games like Monster Hunter Rise and Stories, I can't imagine it stops completely, at least on Switch.

sworddude

Very small runs for games that ain't animal crossing.

Allot of people usually don't even know that monster hunter games had any amiibo. Prior monster hunter games had amiibo pretty much nobody knows about those.

It's so niche once smash stops other games won't be making them anymore either. You've lost the main title that most people buy amiibo's for.

Amiibo craze days are over it's time for something new. besides most people won't have the shelfspace for more amiibo ::)

Not to mention it's a really annoying concept to lock DLC within a figurine.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 06:15:18 pm by sworddude »

pzeke

The amiibo craze fizzled out a long time ago...

I mean, sure, Nintendo will keep churning these out because there's still some profit to be made. But let's not kid ourselves here, toys to life is deader than dead.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

Flashback2012

The amiibo craze fizzled out a long time ago...

I mean, sure, Nintendo will keep churning these out because there's still some profit to be made. But let's not kid ourselves here, toys to life is deader than dead.

On one hand I'm kind of relieved that the whole thing is done with, especially since there was like four different lines. The Skylanders stuff wasn't too bad at first but Activision being Activision where they kept flooding the market with product kinda helped usher in the genre's demise. The Skylander games themselves were somewhat enjoyable for what they were at least.

I liked the concept of Disney Infinity but am dumbfounded how the game limited what you could do with the characters. Like 2.0 and 3.0 were themed but using non Marvel or Star Wars characters in the regular game was basically a no-no for whatever reason. The planned then canceled 4.0 was supposed to remedy that until Disney pulled the plug on the entire thing.

LEGO from a licensing standpoint was pretty neat. I'm kind of biased towards LEGO though.  ;) The only thing that kind of sucked for them was trying to keep the stuff intact in original packaging. Makes for a PAIN to store.  :P I've half considered opening them and storing the contents in Ziploc bags by flattening the packaging.

As for Amiibos, I assume new ones will be sporadic once the SSBU lineup is done. I'm seriously hoping it's not going to be a clusterfuck trying to get new ones in the future where scalper/flippers snap them all up and jack up the prices but who are we kidding, Nintendo will always be Nintendo and will put out just as many as they desire which covers their profit margins and fuck anyone who misses out. Just look at the recent Monster Hunter Rise Amiibos and the Hello Kitty AC Cards that just came out.  >:(

Speaking of Nintendo being Ninendo, it's annoying that you can't use the figure while it's still in the packaging like you could with Skylanders and Infinity. Luckily people have come out with those NFC chips you can load character data onto and use those as a substitute.  :D

I personally wouldn't mind if they kept making them. I find they make a much better display piece of that size than say, the abominations that are Funko Pops.

pzeke

On one hand I'm kind of relieved that the whole thing is done with, especially since there was like four different lines. The Skylanders stuff wasn't too bad at first but Activision being Activision where they kept flooding the market with product kinda helped usher in the genre's demise. The Skylander games themselves were somewhat enjoyable for what they were at least.

I liked the concept of Disney Infinity but am dumbfounded how the game limited what you could do with the characters. Like 2.0 and 3.0 were themed but using non Marvel or Star Wars characters in the regular game was basically a no-no for whatever reason. The planned then canceled 4.0 was supposed to remedy that until Disney pulled the plug on the entire thing.

Taking Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival out of the equation, which wasn't really that great anyway, I think Nintendo missed the opportunity to do something worthwhile with amiibos just like or perhaps better than what we got with Skylanders and Disney Infinity. In the beginning it seemed Nintendo had some semblance of where they were going, but in the end amiibos are just collectible figurines with a chip to unlock stuff - DLC behind a paywall.

Wasted potential, all of it.

When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.

sworddude

I personally wouldn't mind if they kept making them. I find they make a much better display piece of that size than say, the abominations that are Funko Pops.

Funko pops are horrible to look at couldn't agree more.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 05:26:43 pm by sworddude »

Flashback2012

Funko pops are horrible to look at couldn't agree more.

I'm more of a Dorbz guy but that line isn't nearly as popular.  :P

I've got quite a few Pops but no way to display them all. I don't mind the look of them and kinda appreciate the uniform look of the line but some of the ones that they put out border on needlessly excessive if not completely unnecessary. I remember when GameStop was advertising ones for Conan O'Brien and they put out like a half-dozen or so different ones. I was thinking to myself "WHO is into Conan that much that necessitates that line and WHY is GameStop of all companies the one pushing these because WHAT the hell does Conan O'Brien have to do with video games?" Needless to say they were pushed to clearance relatively quickly.  :P

Probably

I feel like the only reason Nintendo still does Amiibos is to appease the fans that want a full smash set and to help hype/promote certain third party Switch exclusive. Amiibos were created as part of the Toys to Life craze from the early 2010s, and Amiibos were a relatively late entry. If not for the Nintendo IPs they were based off of theyd have likely flopped like Disney Infinity toys which came out around the same time.

But yes, I don't think Amiibos will be around much longer. Part of me is sad about this since I have some great memories of tracking them down, especially in the early days when they were super popular. The other part of me is relieved since they take up so much damn space and they're pretty expensive for what they are.

pzeke

Funko Pops, Idolz, Dorbz, Titans, Cute But Deadly, LAMO, Youtooz, XXRAY, Vinimates, Wacky Wobbler, and any other deformed vinyl figure under the sun that I'm sure I din't mention are a waste of resources. Straight up.

I will admit that a very select few Funko Pops happen to not look as bad, I happen to have a couple; but even so, I'd rather take a Nendoroid anytime of the day over a Pop (and I find Nendoroid figures just as bland). I mean, there's plenty of better options out there, like Medicom, Totaku, The Loyal Subjects, Mini Epics, Q-Figs, Kidrobot (with the exception of Bhunnys), some from Cryptozoic, or potentially any other figure from Funko that isn't or looks as dumb as Pops do. There's also Egg Attack Action and Metalfigs, although the former are a tad pricey and the latter are just as the name implies. And there's still plenty more to choose from, really.

All personal opinion, of course - to each their own.

Funko Pops are okay when they don't use the same head for every single figure lol So basically monster types and characters with masks or helmets are okay, like I bought some of the Godzilla vs Kong funko's and I think they looks nice, Kong abit less so, but the Godzilla is kinda nice. 

Amiibo are just real nice little figurines which is why I'd like them to stay around, as I just bought the Banjo-Kazooie one and it's glorious having a perfect recreation of these characters after all these years.  I don't really have much more other than the Breath of the Wild ones and I got the Monster Hunter Rise Magnamalo one (Didn't find the Palico and Palimute ones anywhere), but when breath of the Wild 2 comes out, I'll probably have to get more then.

telekill

I was not big into the Amiibo craze. I ended up with four of them on my nerd shelf as they were pretty nicely detailed:
 - Smash Link (first Link one?)
 - Wolf Link
 - Fox (Smash - are there others?)
 - Sonic

I did buy a couple for my eldest that were Animal Crossing characters. She loves that series.

I have zero plans to buy anymore Amiibos let alone anything else for my nerd shelf. If another Uncharted releases with a cool swag collector's edition, then I'll probably snag that, but my shelf is basically full.