Author Topic: Favorite Arcade Racers  (Read 1078 times)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

Re: Favorite Arcade Racers
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 05:30:47 pm »
I liked the Burnout series as a hole but loved Burnout Revenge after that Ridge Racer series was second for me.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2021, 08:50:31 pm »
I'd recommend not discounting a game or franchise based on it looking too realistic. A lot of games aren't all that slow or realistic, even when they have great graphics or real cars. Dirt is a great series of games, and it's definitely an arcade racer. Forza Horizon is not like the Forza you're probably thinking of either. This summer I've added tons of racing games to my collection.

It's funny how Cruis'n Blast is another major slept on racing game as of late, Horizon Chase was as well. I pre-ordered and learned that mine was one of only two pre-orders. The series was a big deal back in the mid 90s. There's zero hype or anticipation for these games nowadays. I suppose they lack the endless skill trees and crafting today's gamers require? Not sure what it is.

The classics:

RC Pro AM
Rad Racer
Super Off-Road
Top Gear
F-Zero
Road Rash
Cruisn' USA
San Fransisco Rush
Ridge Racer
Top Gear Rally
Extreme G
Test Drive 5
Beetle Adventure Racing
Virtua Racing
SEGA Rally
Speed Devils

The later years:

Need For Speed (any)
Midnight Club (any)
Burnout (any)
Project Gotham (any)
Rally Sport Challenge
Outrun 2
Flatout (any)
SEGA Rally Revo
Quantum Redshift
Freaky Flyers
Quoro Q aka Road Trip aka Gadget Racers (any)
Splash Down
Blur
Split/Second
Dirt (any)
GRID 2
Excite Truck
Excite Bots

Modern:

Horizon Chase Turbo
Hotshots Racing
Dangerous Driving
Grip
Tabletop Racing
Super Street Racer
Onrush
Inertial Drift
Gravel
Flatout 4
Redout
Wreckfest

I'd also recommending checking out the MX vs ATV games (any in the series), as they're a lot of fun especially if you like the dynamic of jump physics being integral to the race. Dirt bike racing games in general are fun IMO, and I think a lot of people write them off as being too niche without giving them a chance.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 10:20:10 pm by Warmsignal »

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 04:13:47 pm »
Funny that you brought up Mx vs ATV as they just announced a new game for the series lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7amH-9g6ao

dhaabi

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 04:22:40 pm »
Meanwhile, Wipeout's newly-announced game features card-based gameplay and is for mobile platforms.

telekill

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 04:28:32 pm »
Finally found a copy of Crusin Blast. Can't believe it was hard to find but I'm betting it has to do with the supply chain being slowed due to a lack of shipping crates.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2021, 04:30:32 pm »
Yeah I was hoping to find Cruis'n today at Walmart, but they were sold out or didn't get any in as they tend to be cheaper in store, but I'll pick it up here eventually.

ferraroso

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2021, 08:12:33 pm »
Daytona USA easily takes the cake for me.
Another arcade racer I used to play a lot is Hang On.
Oh yeah! Good ol' Sega, baby!

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 03:03:37 am »
Ridge Racer Type 4 is my favourite racing game - A lot of it comes down to it STYLE! Wonderful Art Direction, a fun GP Mode where the visual novel aspect hasn't put me off. It also has extra boss cars to have to beat to unlock. Also, DAT soundtrack! Easily gives Persona's style a run for its money. I think the gameplay is a little weaker at times, I don't like how the opponents feel stuck, they never take each other over, it's always a case of you passing this blips, it just feels a little passive.

Beyond that I like the original Crash Team Racing, which I think is more fun to play, especially in the Cup mode 4-player.

Burnout 3 Takedown is the other stand out, great mode variety and a thrilling experience, easily the best one from the series.

alligo

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 06:45:13 am »
I would love a remake of Diddy Kong Racing, this is one of my favorite games with MK.

My top :

Outrun
Diddy Kong Racing
MK Double Dash / MK DS / MK8
Motorstorm
Micro Machines
SEGA Rally

I'm probably forgetting some but that's all I have in mind.

Right now I'm on Hotshot Racing and I'm going to look for a copy of Cruis'n Blast.
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

telekill

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 10:02:01 am »
I had picked up Jet Moto 2 (PS1) the other day. I forgot how infuriating the second was in comparison to the first. Track design was just... just horrible. There's one that's fun that's a Rollercoaster track but the others... oof.

I'll have to find the first as it was a much better game.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 12:15:08 pm »
Sure, Resident Evil Village was good, I liked it...but game of the year material? Nah, its not like its Resident Evil 2 or anything.

But at the same time, I can't think if anything better I played, either. Damn Coronavirus pushing everything back.

Metroid: Dread come out in a couple weeks. Here's to hoping it's a contender. I eagerly look forward to it

Flashback2012

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 01:43:04 pm »
Sure, Resident Evil Village was good, I liked it...but game of the year material? Nah, its not like its Resident Evil 2 or anything.

But at the same time, I can't think if anything better I played, either. Damn Coronavirus pushing everything back.

Metroid: Dread come out in a couple weeks. Here's to hoping it's a contender. I eagerly look forward to it

None of those are racers buddy. I think you meant to post that here https://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,11562.0.html  :P

As for racers, the first R.C. Pro-Am was a favorite growing up. I wore out my Nes Max pad playing that game. Hard Drivin' was a favorite in the arcades along with the original OutRun and Super Monaco G.P. (the Genesis version was sooooo lacking). Virtua Racing was probably the most immersive experience if you got to play the sit down version that was made to look like a racecar. It had air bladder bags that helped simulate the feel when you turned. Multiplayer Daytona USA was a blast as well.

The first Choro Q on PS1 is probably the one racing game I spent the most time on. I can't remember where I imported it from but the game was almost entirely in Katakana so I hunkered down and used that game to help me learn that script.  :D Also need to mention I spent a LOT of time with the first Motor Toon Grand Prix. I know Polyphony got wrapped up with Gran Turismo (another one I spent a lot of time with) but I'd kill for a MTGP3 with modern graphics.

One of the last racing games I played was mentioned by Cartagia already, Horizon Chase Turbo. Not a bad game, it scratches that retro itch. Another racing game I thought I'd be all about but was rather disappointed in was Table Top Racing - Turbo Edition.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 04:35:04 pm »
Oops.