Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge 2022  (Read 32845 times)

Re: 52 Games Challenge 2022
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2022, 09:44:31 am »
I do have the other games in the Far Cry series and expect to play 5 and New Dawn this year but they might not be in chronological order.

I played 2, 3, and 4 last year.  Planning on doing at least Primal and 5 this year, but I definitely had a lot of the same complaints about 4 that you did.  Hopefully stuff gets balanced a little more in future games.

« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2022, 09:06:16 pm »
4 - Vampire Survivors (PC 2022) - ENDLESS - Saw some players playing an interesting little game and it turned out to be an early access game on PC that is sort of a Castlevania, Rogue-Lite, Bullet Hell...but without bullets, so "Enemy Hell" lol It's almost one of those idle games, because you don't actually attack, your character does it based on their stats and weapons and you move around, collecting XP and other things.  Each level, which you get quick, lets you get a new random item.  All the items can upgrade to about level 9 or 10.  It's mindless, but addictive and some characters start out with some real rough weapons, particularly ones that have kind of a random attack pattern to them, so if you don't get a directional attack weapon right away, it can get hard.

It's fun, but still early access, only two levels.  They aren't endless levels themselves, it looks like the levels max out currently at 30 minutes after the most insane mass of enemies possible swarm you and if you survive that, Death swoops in and kills you instantly, ending the level.  There's supposed to be a bunch more levels and a story mode, but I highly recommend it, especially since it's only 3 bucks in early access, which is crazy cheap, even for a simple pixel art game.

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2022, 07:39:20 am »
January Update:

Games I beat:

Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5) - I hate that this required NG+ to get the platinum when the base game didn't.  Otherwise, a solid addition to the series. Beat on Jan. 2.

New Pokémon Snap (Switch) - The second Pokemon game I've ever played - after the original Snap.  It's fun, but some of the unlock events for new courses are a bit obtuse.  Still a fine way to spend a couple of days.  Beat on Jan. 6.

Alan Wake (PC) -  Cool story and interesting gimmicks, but was kind of awkward and a slog to get through in places.  Got a lot of leeway from me because I wanted to play something else in the Control universe.  Beat on Jan. 20.

Ori and the Blind Forest (XB1) - Solid Metroidvania with gorgeous visuals.  The combat is super underbaked, and one of the major movement techs seemed to just not work on a few too many occasions.  Exploration feels rewarding and the story is pretty good as well.  Worth playing, I'm just not as in love with it as some others are.  Beat on Jan. 27.

Star Trek: Armada (PC) - Decent RTS, but not as good as I remembered.  Every faction plays pretty much the same, and I used the exact same strategy for every single level.  Doesn't overstay it's welcome though, and can be beaten relatively quickly for an RTS.  Beat on Jan. 31.

2022 Total: 5
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 07:41:32 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2022, 03:08:10 pm »
09. The Medium (Xbox One X) 03/02/2022
I played this through Xbox's streaming options as it is a Series X game, I have to admit the image quality wasn't great there were a alot of bueffing artifacts at times and for a game that can be very dark at times it was problematic - I never had this issue with my PS Now trial.

As for the game, overall I liked it! The story of being a character with the ability to explore our reality along with a demonic afterlife is interesting, if a little dull at times though - I guess the other reality sections just lacked variety and I know it had to stay tied to the level design of the reality porition for its back and forth puzzle sections but I guess I just felt gameplay/set-piece wise more could have been done. But a lot of this games appeal is exploring the story, which is comeplling from start to finish and the highlight of the game. It draws you into the mistery and learning the in-game lore and past events and it forms together quite nicely - if lacking a strong epilogue.

There is no real combat like most survival horror games - Which is fine, as the progression via puzzle elements worked really well. The problem I had most with the game were the Stealth sections, I just found them frustrating and tedious and I'm glad there weren't too many.

Overall it was decent, nothing groundbreaking but the story is a compelling enough  reason to give it a go.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:11:43 pm by vivigamer »

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2022, 11:11:36 am »
4. Green Lava Studios Volume 1

This was in my backlog for a while and I finally got to it. I was very entertained with My Name is Mayo and My Name is Mayo 2. However, I was not a fan of Mr. Massagy. Just not my type of story. I was more mortified than entertained.
Currently Playing: Game & Wario

dhaabi

« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2022, 03:52:52 pm »
02. Life Is Strange: True Colors || PlayStation 5 || 02.05.22

Truthfully, while leading up to the Life Is Strange: True Color's release, I wasn't impressed with the story shown by the trailer. Nevertheless, it's tradition for me to play through each of the LIS entries with someone else, so I knew it was only time before I eventually sat down to experience the game. Generally, my first impressions carried on to what are now opinion based on experience.

Just as previous series entries, True Colors offers a player-driven narrative experience. Upon the story's onset, the player-character is introduced to Alex, a young adult who has faced many hardships as she's been separated from family for some time while having faced domestic problems prior to the separation. On her own, she's struggled. However, in this moment, Alex's circumstances seem to have shifted into the possibility of a much more positive future. After recently reconnecting with her older brother, Alex has just arrived to her brother's home—a quaint yet picturesque town named Haven home to a warm community. Unfortunately, this happiness truly is momentary, as Haven's secrets slowly become uncovered after the events relating to the suspicious death of Alex's brother are investigated.

As typical to LIS entries, the player-character Alex is gifted with a unique power. The main gimmick for each title varies, and, for this entry, Alex's power relates to the power of empathy which allow her to read the strong emotions of others. In time, Alex begins to develop her powers further by transmuting others emotions to better reach outcomes favored to meet Alex's goal in finding justice for her brother. While having been gifted this power some time ago, it has often led to negative consequences as Alex has struggled with controlling her own emotions. Throughout the course of the game, the player comes to realize these powers are the result of powerful trauma that Alex has experienced. In regards to those whom Alex meets, their emotions vary: some have general frustrations or relationship problems, while others hold grief or guilt. in this regard, the problems of Haven's townspeople felt varied and unique. However, the cast is not that strongly developed or likeable, although I did sympathize with Alex and the problems she faces.

Relating to Alex's powers, I felt as if they are fine in concept but that the execution could have been more successful. For instance, instead of audibly explaining how others are feeling, showing the player extended segments of their trauma firsthand or even to explore on their own would have been a better possibility. At times, minor disconnected clips play out, but they were not as interactive as I am envisioning a more successful execution. Other times when delving into someone's psyche, reality becomes distorted to reflect how that person feels. Again, this aspect felt underdeveloped but was appreciated in the few instances it occurred. Expanding these aspects would not have only brought more variety and interest to the overall story but also to the game's greater cast.

Now, there are two other aspects I hold strong negative opinion over. The first is the game's "indie" atmosphere. Often, characters revel in their love of modern, lesser-known music which is a trend across LIS titles but perhaps strongest in True Colors. It is fine to have these sort of interests, but the game repeatedly draws on this theme. From general ambiance, the town itself, and to the plot, this indie aspect pervades the overall experience, and it is honestly embarrassing to get through each and every time. The second is the ability for Alex to romance. Personally, I was not invested in pursuing romantic interests, but the narrative seemed to strongly sway the player into choosing options relating to romance.

Despite my opinions to the game's weaknesses, I did still feel invested in the story. The plot maintained my engagement, although those interested in playing shouldn't expect anything too noteworthy in the plot and the direction it takes. The closing chapter largely served as the final outcome to choices made prior. Aside from few moments, the story plays out on its own without much player choice. Which ending Alex receives is determined by the player in the game's final moments, but the details revolving which ending is chosen vary. Having only played the game once, I am interested to see just how varied details can become from my initial results. In regards to the ending I received, again, it felt weak and generally boring. Without knowing definitively, I can only imagine the possibilities for alternate endings may be, and they don't seem that interesting either. I've gone back to play past entries again, so re-visiting True Colors is something I probably will do at some point.

However, this is not to say that True Colors is without any strengths. It has been some time since my last LIS playthrough, but I felt as if this title offered more varied gameplay. Largely, this is related to Chapter 3 where most of the game's cast partake in a LARPing session and additional gameplay mechanics are temporarily introduced. At the same time, I felt as if there was more involved problem-solving relating to locating collectibles. At times, the player needs to perform actions in a certain sequence instead of merely finding the collectible. This is a small improvement over past entries but is still worth mentioning.

Overall, True Colors was an average experience and generally what I was expecting of it based on my initial reaction to its reveal. After some thought, it is a little difficult to determine True Color's audience, but I suppose it is for young adults or even teenagers, so many here would probably not find any interest. Nevertheless, I'm sure that the future of Life Is Strange is strong which means I'm sure I'll continue the tradition of mine to play each entry. Hopefully the series can find better grounding in its next entry.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 04:46:34 pm by dhaabi »

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2022, 08:09:00 pm »
7. Batman: Arkham Knight (XSX) 2/7/2022

OK soooo... if they just removed every single tank battle from this game it would have been perfect. Didnt mind the Batmobile as a mode of transportation... but the combat was just the worst...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZsnzaQNNr7/

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2022, 08:59:50 pm »
7. Batman: Arkham Knight (XSX) 2/7/2022

OK soooo... if they just removed every single tank battle from this game it would have been perfect. Didnt mind the Batmobile as a mode of transportation... but the combat was just the worst...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZsnzaQNNr7/
This is EXACTLY how I feel about that game.
Certain aspects of the Batmobile are hella fun: launching out of it, diving into it, and just driving around. Combine that with the non-Batmobile stuff and the game is wonderful.

But the Batmobile combat…YUCK.

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2022, 10:53:25 am »
This is EXACTLY how I feel about that game.
Certain aspects of the Batmobile are hella fun: launching out of it, diving into it, and just driving around. Combine that with the non-Batmobile stuff and the game is wonderful.

But the Batmobile combat…YUCK.

it started out ok... but just got really damn repetitive fast.. and the "boss" encounters in the tank just sucked.... so annoying.

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2022, 01:42:30 pm »
10. The Artful Escape (Xbox One X) 10/02/2022
A very trippy experience - in a good way! The story follows a musician caught within the shadow of his uncles fame, the locals with the expectation for him to be the next big Folk musician. The lead character has doubts and suddenly one night is swept away into a musical joinery across the universe! It's a great story overall and worth the 4-5 hour playtime. I will say however the gameplay department is where it is most lacking. A lot of the game features you running through majestic environments, which are visually splendid but still feel very basic. The other problem I had is during the segments where you play your guitar, the button input is shown on the characters you encounter which is simple but one of the buttons is the left shoulder button. All the other buttons are close together but when it came to pressing that button I had difficulties applying it when seeing the prompt on screen - Luckily there isn't any punishment for missing a note so it was just a minor annoyance.

But the game really shines on it's visual spectacle! I wasn't sure about it at first but when it traverses to its outer world visuals its undeniably pretty. Also the level of creativity used on the locations and characters you meet is very imaginative, you really never know what you'll encounter next with the game. It's not the sort of game worth playing twice but certainly worth the experience making it very ideal to play on Xbox Game Pass.

kashell

« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2022, 08:42:06 am »
13. Mega Man X3

I've always liked this game, but I struggled with this playthrough. I'm not sure if it was because it's been so long and my reflexes aren't what they used to be, if it was because I was playing on Switch, or something different but I was getting infuriated near the end facing Sigma. Oh well. Another game finished for the year so yay for that.

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2022, 04:40:33 am »
5 - Pokemon Legends: Arceus (Switch 2022) - BEAT - Feels nice to say that I've got a new Pokemon that I actually really liked playing.  Let's Go Pikachu was nice nostalgia as a modern remake of the original Yellow, but it had the super bad pokeball throwing gimmick and was more about the nostalgia than being particularly interesting.  Sword and Shield, despite how much its sold, I think it's objectively kind of a bad game.  If you set the core Pokemon gameplay aside that's been done to death for years, it doesn't look good, it has a bad story, and it has a ton of cut corners.   Not that Arceus doesn't have it's issues.

I'll say for positives, it's probably the most free feeling Pokemon they've ever done.  I've not dabbled much in the series in a long time, but I've seen a lot of it and it's always been a series very stuck in its ways, but now you can free roam areas, things like gathering and mounts is very easy and simple to use, you can craft a lot of what you need on the fly, and you get options to how you handle Pokemon.  You can capture them outright, taking advantage of stealth, or you can battle them to capture.  Either way can be valuable depending on the Pokemon as each one has their necessary tasks to complete to get to a "Level 10" in the Pokedex.  Honestly I was a little worried it would be too grindy at first, but you don't need to complete every single task to research what is consider a complete state.

The negatives would be the game doesn't look very good, not even for a Switch game.  I would say this doesn't look particularly good a lot of the time compared to games that came out 10+ years ago.  It just has ugly low quality textures, for a lot of stuff you see very close, the open world is fairly generic and bland looking especially if you get any distance.  Like I'm not asking for PS5 quality graphics, but MonolithSoft has shown what is capable on the Switch and even something half as good as BOTW or the Xenoblade games would've been a significant improvement.  There's also issues with the dark caves, where there's this very obvious jagged white line around the player and NPC's that's very weird, I've never seen a game do that before.  I will say that I expected the framerate to be worse, like it's not ideal, but it's not as bad as like Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity could be, like it dips, but it wasn't crazy often that I noticed it being really bad and for a game like this, it's playable enough.  Normally that kind of stuff annoys me these days, but I managed.

Also the lack of voice acting for both Pokemon and the main NPC's is dumb and I just didn't care about playing with the volume on because of it, so I just had something to watch on another screen while I played.  Some annoyances with the gameplay itself is there are boss fights that are kinda lame gameplay wise, even if I can appreciate that they aren't just another basic Pokemon battle, the inventory expansion system is the dumbest, and there's more QoL of stuff that needs to be added, such as being able to sort your Pastures to better organize Pokemon.

Alot of my complaints come down to Game Freak cutting corners.  Despite this being a a major series that sells millions every time, they will not put the extra time and money to really push the series further.  They clearly don't need to, Sword and Shield sold a ridiculous amount for a game that's fairly awful, so why put the extra effort in?  This annoys me, but they did manage to make a game I like, even if it needed more to it.

I still have the epilogue stuff to do as it does have a post game, thank Arceus, but I am done with the main story, though I am going to keep on for abit.  I got 30 hours into it, I'll probably do another 10 or 20 most likely up till Elden Ring comes out, but I do recommend this game.  It's not as good as it could be, but it's very solid, like a reasonable 6.5/7 out of 10.  It gives me interest in the series again after being an old Gen 1 player who never played the rest till basically the Switch and was kinda hyped to return to it, but only got kinda "meh" games at first.  I really hope they can expand on what they've done here for the next game like this.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 04:50:13 am by kamikazekeeg »

kashell

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2022, 09:20:27 am »
14. Romancing SaGa 2

This was probably one of the most difficult RPGs I've ever played. And y'all know I've played a lot of them. It feels great to have completed it. It's been in English for a while but a physical copy seemed like a pipedream.

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2022, 11:52:09 pm »
17. Half Life (PC)

Like many people my first exposure to Half Life was on the PC back in the late 90s, or more accurately on my friend's PC back in the late 90s lol. Unfortunately my experience with this game back when it was new was the few times I'd sleep over at his house and I'd attempt to get past the first few chapters while also doing things with my friend that we could both do. To be perfectly honest I liked the game back then, but wasn't nearly as blown away by it like most people were in 1998. It wouldn't be until almost a decade later on the PS2 that I'd actually sit down with Half Life and beat it from start to finish. Years later I attempted to beat the unreleased Dreamcast port of it which was a buggy, almost unplayable mess, with the Xen levels breaking me, resulting it me abandoning that version. Yet hear I am, nearly 25-years since I first played it on my friend's PC, playing it as it should be played on the PC once again.

I have mixed feelings about Half Life now that I've played the definitive version of it. Yes, it's an outstanding FPS game that was and is still a big deal when describing the defining games of the 90s. It's connected chapters, delivery of story through action set pieces and events that happen in real time in the game, and it being one of the best looking games of its time cannot be understated at all. However, where this game really gets a pass when it shouldn't is its gameplay. While nothing in Half Life is flat out broken or greatly impedes your enjoyment of the game, the shooting mechanics of various enemies and weapons can be downright frustrating and annoying, as can some of the stage design which pretty much make it next to impossible not to take a fairly substantial hit to your life energy. This is coupled with the placement of various enemies in certain areas, and just sometimes feeling like you're under equipped to handle wants currently happening makes this a frustrating game at times. Still, I found myself not wanting to stop playing most of the time (with the very noteworthy exceptions of On a Rail; I hate that chapter with a passion. In fact, I blew through the entire game in just a few days and binging it in 2-4 sessions. Half Life is an incredible game in nearly every way and truly is one of those games that was way ahead of its time; it's just not the flawless or even near flawless masterpiece that some retro PC gamers like to pretend it is. (2/12/22) [40/50]

kashell

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2022, 05:34:32 pm »
Demo - Triangle Strategy

I went through the new demo. Other than some issues with combat (seriously folks - more enemies on the battlefield does not = more challenge) this is looking like it'll be a lot of fun. I'm glad I preordered it. Just like Octopath, save data from the demo will carry over to the official game.