Author Topic: Consoles/Handhelds That You Hate  (Read 2294 times)

telekill

Re: Consoles/Handhelds That You Hate
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2022, 11:49:29 am »
There aren't many I hate...

1. Wii -- At the top of the list is Wii and that's because of the motion controls forced onto consumers. I learned with Wii that I absolutely loathe motion controls. As I've stated in other threads, the only time I've enjoyed motion controls was flying a Warhawk in the PS3 game. That's it. Everything on Wii with the exception of maybe Wii Sports was mostly trash IMO.

That's quite a take, Ironicly while i love the wii's library I'd say wii sports is one of those trash titles for my taste.

There aren't many I hate...

1. Wii -- At the top of the list is Wii and that's because of the motion controls forced onto consumers. I learned with Wii that I absolutely loathe motion controls. As I've stated in other threads, the only time I've enjoyed motion controls was flying a Warhawk in the PS3 game. That's it. Everything on Wii with the exception of maybe Wii Sports was mostly trash IMO.

Funny enough, I think there's only one game in the Wii's ENTIRE library that didn't employ the use of motion controls, and that was Rhythm Heaven Fever. That was because the devs saw that motion controls wouldn't be responsive enough for a rhythm game, and they made it so its solely comprised of button inputs.

I'm fairly sure smash bros brawl had none aswell But I've exclusively enjoyed that title with a cube controller. plus multiple games including big hitters like mario kart wii had multiple controller methods that did not require any motion controls at all.

multiple games such as xenoblade or fire emblem had no motion controls either.

Not to mention in most of the great wii titles the usage was quite minimal in which I'd hardly notice them at all.

The kids liked Wii Sports which is the only reason I didn't list it as trash. The only good thing about the Wii was the ability to use Gamecube controllers and play Gamecube games. At that point, there's zero reason to have a Wii unless you wanted a Netflix box.

dhaabi

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2022, 12:06:08 pm »

List of Wii games with traditional control schemes

telekill

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2022, 04:50:54 pm »

Sorry but no. Damage was done well over a decade ago and I won't be revisiting Nintendo's worst era ever again.

telly

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2022, 04:59:43 pm »
I'm of the opinion that the Wii is a lot like the PS2. Hugely popular, a lot of absolute classics, but a lot of junk as well. I think if you stick to games that don't require motion controls it's a really fun system with a lot to offer.

The motion controls in some respects do make the bad/shovelware games worse and some good games lesser of an experience. But it doesn't really bring the console down for me.

I think the WII U forcing you to use the gamepad for basically any kind of system checking, using the eShop, etc. is worse.
Currently Playing:
DOOM (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

soera

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2022, 05:15:11 pm »
Ahhhh. I agree with so many comments on here.

That being said ... how has the 360 not made its way onto here till now? The fact that RROD is a thing is based on the absolute crap that is this console. I have actually met people who have told me that they are on their 6th/7th/8th/higher 360 cause their previous one has died and gotten RROD. Like what the actual F*@#&? How can you support such garbage? What does that console offer that would make you want to keep getting another one? 90% of its library (that's being generous honestly ... I'd wager its closer to 95%) is on other consoles. Just a sign that MicroShaft really did not care about its product and only about the revenue it generated. A lack of variety in its genres is yet another reason to take this console (and every iteration since) and toss them off a cliff.

Warmsignal

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2022, 07:04:53 pm »
Some of us approached this like...

Burningdoom, should have known you were a pyro.

pzeke

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2022, 12:22:07 am »
Virtual Boy - With all due respect to Mr. Yokoi, this thing was a terrible product. Played it once at my nephew’s house and never wanted to play it again.

I can relate: I remember the first time that I saw and experienced the Virtual Boy was at a K·B Toys, and I felt it was an assault on my senses as soon as the screen bled red. Nobody I knew had it, or even talked about it.

Sorry but no. Damage was done well over a decade ago and I won't be revisiting Nintendo's worst era ever again.

I'm of the opinion that the Wii is a lot like the PS2. Hugely popular, a lot of absolute classics, but a lot of junk as well. I think if you stick to games that don't require motion controls it's a really fun system with a lot to offer.

The motion controls in some respects do make the bad/shovelware games worse and some good games lesser of an experience. But it doesn't really bring the console down for me.

I think the WII U forcing you to use the gamepad for basically any kind of system checking, using the eShop, etc. is worse.

Agreed.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2022, 07:00:32 am »
Sega Gamegear: As a diehard Sega fan it's almost hard to admit this, but I've never been a fan of this handheld. I had a good friend as a kid who had one and even back then playing Sonic or other Genesis ports on it felt like a chore and something I had a hard time getting into. Later on as an adult I gave the platform another chance and I actually dislike it even more now. Part of this is I'm not a huge handheld fan, but also it just makes me want to play the proper Genesis versions of is games. And all the original releases for it aren't that great either, at least the ones I've played.

As a huge fan of the Sega Game Gear, had I not grown up with it and had the nostalgia, I'd probably not be that impressed by it either. Many of the games on it were dumbed down Genesis ports. I thought it was cool to be able to take these games on the go and as a kid, I had far more interest in handheld gaming than I ever have as an adult. Sega was always ahead of the curve technology wise but there was always a negative cost to it. For Game Gear, the cost was the extra batteries it would consume making AC and car adapters necessary. For a device on the go, I was always tethered to something with it.

Hate to be a brainiac, but aren't most GameGear titles ports of the MasterSystem rather than genesis? In fact, almost 80% of its library is ... especially when it comes to european region ...
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !!
WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM !!

telekill

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2022, 09:18:58 am »
Sega Gamegear: As a diehard Sega fan it's almost hard to admit this, but I've never been a fan of this handheld. I had a good friend as a kid who had one and even back then playing Sonic or other Genesis ports on it felt like a chore and something I had a hard time getting into. Later on as an adult I gave the platform another chance and I actually dislike it even more now. Part of this is I'm not a huge handheld fan, but also it just makes me want to play the proper Genesis versions of is games. And all the original releases for it aren't that great either, at least the ones I've played.

As a huge fan of the Sega Game Gear, had I not grown up with it and had the nostalgia, I'd probably not be that impressed by it either. Many of the games on it were dumbed down Genesis ports. I thought it was cool to be able to take these games on the go and as a kid, I had far more interest in handheld gaming than I ever have as an adult. Sega was always ahead of the curve technology wise but there was always a negative cost to it. For Game Gear, the cost was the extra batteries it would consume making AC and car adapters necessary. For a device on the go, I was always tethered to something with it.

Hate to be a brainiac, but aren't most GameGear titles ports of the MasterSystem rather than genesis? In fact, almost 80% of its library is ... especially when it comes to european region ...

Game Gear and SMS shared many games. As to which was developed first or if in tandem, the result is that once Genesis/MD released, both those systems got dumbed down ports of the superior Genesis titles. For my personal gaming history, I was completely unaware of SMS's existence until the PS1 days.

I will give the nod to the SMS version of Jurassic Park being superior to Game Gear's. They're essentially the same game but at least Grant looks like Grant on SMS where on Game Gear it could really be anyone. Only reason we knew it was Grant was because it said he was.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 01:36:20 pm »
I don't detest any console to the point of hating it but I have a few nit-picks with some:

Wii-U - Not pleased with how this console handled backwards compatibillity. It can play Wii games but there s no upscale/enhancement to them. The Wii-U had the chance to make Wii games accessible for HD systems and it really dropped the ball.

PSP - I like a lot of games on the system but playing games that utilise a 3D camera without a 2nd analogue stick is painful! Luckily, the Vita fixed that problem and some PSP game can even be enjoyed on that - or ports like Birth By Sleep & Peace Walker.

PS3 - ... Why is the XMB interface so damn slow these days?! I actually like the layout but it' buffers all the icons now to the point where nevigating the console is just unpleasant. Also, the decision to drop PS2 backwards compatibility has plauged me for years!

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2022, 02:30:27 pm »

That being said ... how has the 360 not made its way onto here till now? The fact that RROD is a thing is based on the absolute crap that is this console. I have actually met people who have told me that they are on their 6th/7th/8th/higher 360 cause their previous one has died and gotten RROD. Like what the actual F*@#&? How can you support such garbage? What does that console offer that would make you want to keep getting another one? 90% of its library (that's being generous honestly ... I'd wager its closer to 95%) is on other consoles. Just a sign that MicroShaft really did not care about its product and only about the revenue it generated. A lack of variety in its genres is yet another reason to take this console (and every iteration since) and toss them off a cliff.

You gotta remember that at the time, and I'm mainly thinking the first 3 or 4 years of the 360 after it launched, the PS3 was a huge disappointment in terms of good first-party exclusives and a shoddy online network compared to Xbox Live. Cross platform games from 2005-2009 were almost always better on the 360 and Xbox Live was just a superior online experience. I'd say around 2010 the PS3 started to become more respected and PS3 versions of games were becoming the "definitive" one. L.A. Noire was on one Blu-Ray disc whereas it was on THREE discs for the 360.

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2022, 03:10:06 pm »

You gotta remember that at the time, and I'm mainly thinking the first 3 or 4 years of the 360 after it launched, the PS3 was a huge disappointment in terms of good first-party exclusives and a shoddy online network compared to Xbox Live. Cross platform games from 2005-2009 were almost always better on the 360 and Xbox Live was just a superior online experience. I'd say around 2010 the PS3 started to become more respected and PS3 versions of games were becoming the "definitive" one. L.A. Noire was on one Blu-Ray disc whereas it was on THREE discs for the 360.

I agree with both of these takes.  The original 360 was an abysmal piece of hardware (I went through 3 I think?), but at the time it had an incredible library and was the vastly superior online device.  I think the main reason the 360 gets relatively fondly remembered despite those issues is that the latter iterations were far more stable and the stellar BC of the XB1.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2022, 03:59:20 pm »

I agree with both of these takes.  The original 360 was an abysmal piece of hardware (I went through 3 I think?), but at the time it had an incredible library and was the vastly superior online device.  I think the main reason the 360 gets relatively fondly remembered despite those issues is that the latter iterations were far more stable and the stellar BC of the XB1.

I got lucky. I had a working launch model 360 for years, and years. I only got rid of it because aunt gave me her Star Wars S model.