Author Topic: Your Specializations/Areas of Expertise?  (Read 8881 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Your Specializations/Areas of Expertise?
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:04:53 am »
Thought it would be nice to have a topic where site-members can post what platforms/games they're the most knowledgeable about/have the most experience & expertise in...

For myself, my "top 3" would be the Playstation 1, 2, and 3.

After that, my 'runner-ups" (which would all be a tie) would be Game-Cube, PSP, and Nintendo DS.

I thought that this would be a good topic/good thing to know since, for example, say that I came across some games for sale for the NES or Genesis (which I'm not at all experienced in/knowledgeable about)...I'd easily be able to quickly find/pm the most appropriate people here for help w/ value, versions, recognizing an imitation, etc.

And on the other side, anyone w/ questions about Sony consoles & games would know that I might be able to help them out w/ something or answer a question for them.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

Re: Your Specializations/Areas of Expertise?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 11:11:38 am »
Interesting thread. Maybe you can make a list in your post listing everyone's areas as they post so then you don't need to search every post.

For me it's the Xbox 360, I fairly knowledgeable with the limited systems and more so with the games.

soera

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 11:55:21 am »
Well, mine is a bit more specific. My main spot would be PS1 RPGs. Ive spent a long time collecting them and know a fair share about them. I also know NES and, of course, Dragon warrior/quest stuff. :) I did spend quite a bit of time on SMS as well.

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »
I know the DS pretty well. Even though I grew up in the age of SNES (which I can hold my own in too), the DS has been my favorite system for a while now, and it seems like we can't go into a used game store without me walking out with a DS game and Ronalopolis complaining with "I've never even HEARD of *insert game here*. Are you sure you don't just go in there and find the strangest titles and pretend you want them?" (For those new to the site, Ronalopolis barely posts, but he's my hubby.)

Besides DS and SNES, my strongest area of expertise is probably developers/publishers. For example, if you mention Atlus, I can probably name games you've never heard of that Atlus has developed/published, name which ones are rare, and give you approximate prices. Same goes for 5th Cell, Level-5, Natsume, The Behemoth, XSEED, Cing, Zeboyd, and many, many more, as well as the big names like TECMO, Marvelous, Square Enix, etc.

Story: At PAX, I saw this guy in a Skylanders sweatshirt. I thought maybe I could buy one for myself, so I walked up to him and asked where he got it. He responded that he works for the company that developed the 3DS version. When, without skipping a beat, I asked him how it's like working for Vicarious Visions, he just stared at me. Guess he didn't expect me to know that off the top of my head.  :P
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

darko

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:55 pm »
My top 3 are probably SNES, PS1 and PS2.

I can hold my own when it comes to the GBA as well, but there are sooo many titles that I get a little lost from time to time. Luckily, much like the DS, most of the items I don't know too much about are shovelware.

I like to collect for, but know virtually nothing about, anything Sega related.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 12:41:11 pm »
I like how some of you have been more specific than I was.

So, to be more specific & clarify...99% of what I know about my above-mentioned systems is for that system's RPG's.

Also, I've gotten pretty good w/ which ones of those rpg's have guides (or more than 1 version of a guide) & somewhat decent w/ the rarity & values of said guides.

I like the idea of one post listing everyone's 'specialties', too.

I think I'll wait until just about everyone's posted (that's gonna' post) and compile a list to that effect.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

teknophyl

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 01:42:52 pm »
Xbox, Xbox 360, and RPGs. Football in there too.

Should add I have several XBMC Xboxes. I am pretty savvy with configuration and scripting.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:42:24 pm by teknophyl »

Playing - KOTOR, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

tpugmire

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »
I repair, restore and mod old stuff.  If that counts?
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:57:30 pm »
I'm very experienced in buying selling diagnosing and restoring pinball machines. If anyone should have a question or be in the market for a machine, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Also fairly knowledgeable about Neo Geo, both home and arcade units. Not a pro, just a huge fan.
I'M ALWAYS LOOKING TO BUY COMPLETE COPIES OF SEGA CD AND SEGA SATURN GAMES, SO PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY.

scott

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:17:50 pm »
I'd say my strong areas would be Saturn and Game Boy. I have a fairly large game collection for both systems and have done a bunch of research into both of them. Though I know hardly anything when it comes to the hardware and when it comes to the GBC my knowledge fails miserably.

I have pretty good knowledge on Game Boy accessories though.

I built my own name arcade machine too. So I have a lot of know how on how to work name, hiding window xp and using custom interfaces. As well as where to get arcade parts and joysticks.

As far as genres are concerned. I'd say I am pretty good with arcade, xbla, and other console shmups. But I know nothing about games on systems I don't own.

I'm also pretty knowledgeable when it come to Castlevania, its games, mythos and most variations/ releases.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
I'm very experienced in buying selling diagnosing and restoring pinball machines. If anyone should have a question or be in the market for a machine, don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Also fairly knowledgeable about Neo Geo, both home and arcade units. Not a pro, just a huge fan.

I'll trade you one Mario Bros wide body in um...project condition...for an awesome 1990s pinball machine. You'll have to figure out a delivery system though, as my car is not suited for such endeavors.

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 03:27:22 pm »
PS2 and Dreamcast for sure. I also know quite a bit about specific franchises, such as Metal Gear, Gran Turismo, and Dead or Alive.

madmax

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »
Anything Final Fantasy really. I've done my fair bit of research, have searched ebay thousands of times for obscure items and such.

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 03:37:15 pm »
For many years it was NES / SNES, but once I got a PC... well, that sorta became my area. Especially once I started working at another site I no longer work at. :p

That is not to say I don't like consoles, but for years it was much cheaper for me to stay a PC guy.

amauriel

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »
Though I know hardly anything when it comes to the hardware and when it comes to the GBC my knowledge fails miserably.

I have pretty good knowledge on Game Boy accessories though.

We should really compare notes sometime then. I know a ton about handheld hardware, especially what special editions exist and what countries/stores/areas they were restricted to. I really need to put a picture of my game boys up; it's become more impressive since I got the Manchester United GB (Only sold at the stadium in England). Never even thought to list all that among my expertise.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."