Author Topic: Your Specializations/Areas of Expertise?  (Read 8866 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Your Specializations/Areas of Expertise?
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:42 am »
Thanks.

I actually found another (more-detailed) listing for it on Game Rave.

Apparently, my copy has the exact same SLUS # (...just with a "D" added to the end of it).

I wasn't able to find any 'comparison values' of the "regular" edition vs the "fan art" edition...do you have any idea?

There are not any different price values for the different pictures on the disks (Just like the Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn can have the image of any of the 3 girls on it).

Some do have different values, for example Albert Odyssey.  The Disc with Gryzz only tends to fetch about $20 more that the group art version

This entire conversation reminds me why I don't collect variants!

Actually, I didn't even know (or ever hear about the variants) when I got the game a long time ago...this just happened to be the one that I bought...I wouldn't have known one version from another then anyhow.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:53 pm »
NES, SMS and TG16...

I'm a jack of all trades, but a master of only these 3!

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2012, 02:03:14 pm »
I don't really have a particular area of expertise. I tend to know a whole lot about nothin', or nothin' about a whole lot; your pick.  ;D I've learned quite a bit about arcade machines from tinkering here and there. Finally got a pinball to start tinkering with. Outside of game-related stuff I have a bunch of experience with audio and video systems. Been working on learning a bit about lighting now.

Darko,

If you're interested in getting a pinball, I'd recommend dropping by the OK Coin-Op Collectors forum. Might want to hit up Arcade Sales and Rentals or Jimmy from Metro Pinball and Video, they could help you track one down and even troubleshoot a bit. And there's plenty of people on there that are local or semi-local that has had a lot of repair experience. Worth checking out.

ffxik

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2012, 06:13:05 pm »
As far as games go RPGs I have played way too many of them and my skills at the rest have seriously deteriorated. 

I maintain all my consoles myself so I am fairly knowlegeble in that, except that darned Intellivision.

pacpix

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 08:55:47 pm »
I know a lot about the overall history of games.  The only systems I know a lot about though are the Nintendo systems and Atari 2600.  As far as series go I know a lot about Pac-Man and Zelda.
I would just like to update this and say that I just received my degree in "I have not played a whole lot of Wizardry games, but I spend way too much time on the Internet reading about them and I could probably give you more information then you want to know about Japan Wizardry spinoffs!"  So if you want to know anything Wizardry that is not story related (Been avoiding spoilers as I plan to play through the series) I could help you out.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

scott

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:44 pm »
I'll update also and say that I have realized that I don't know as much about the Saturn as I thought. I do know a good bit, but only pertaining to US releases. I have some experience with various cards for it too though and will always point potential importers toward the Action Replay 4M Plus over anything else.

I still have a good bit of knowledge about the Game Boy, but I have a lot to learn yet.

I'm still a hobby Mame builder, so I'm good with helping with that stuff. Currently waiting on funds so I can finish my 3rd one.

Still this: I'm also pretty knowledgeable when it come to Castlevania, its games, mythos and most variations/ releases.

And I'm fairly good with shmups for the 360.

I'm also good with the Metal Gear series, I've played everything and read up on a lot of things too. Same goes for the Assassin's Creed series, except I didn't finish the last 3 games (need to do that). And I'm pretty solid on the .hack series, everything from the games, books and anime.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:51:47 am by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:07 pm »
Ill update mine as well. Ill still claim PS1 RPGs and DQ stuff. Ive spent a lot of time lately dealing in SMS though and am pretty knowledgeable now on it as well.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 12:27:43 am »
General gaming history. I've read a bit on the subject and watched a lot of documentaries. My Swag - Print Category of my collection on the site shows a few I've read that I still have. Stuff like The Electronic History of Gaming (HIGHLY recommended), The Ultimate History of Gaming, and others. I've always been fascinated with the tumultuous history of gaming.

I'm probably also the go-to guy here on the site for Marvel and DC Comics stuff, I'd imagine. I've been reading them since I can remember. I've amassed quite the collection over the years and still make it to the local comic shop every Wednesday for new issues. I'm also pretty active in the online comic community.

Also, WWE and WCW history. I watch the hell out of those WWE documentaries and old DVD collections. And have actively watched wrestling for years (although I've tapered off my WWE viewing the last few years and instead watched more TNA).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:18 am »
I know a lot about the overall history of games.  The only systems I know a lot about though are the Nintendo systems and Atari 2600.  As far as series go I know a lot about Pac-Man and Zelda.
I would just like to update this and say that I just received my degree in "I have not played a whole lot of Wizardry games, but I spend way too much time on the Internet reading about them and I could probably give you more information then you want to know about Japan Wizardry spinoffs!"  So if you want to know anything Wizardry that is not story related (Been avoiding spoilers as I plan to play through the series) I could help you out.

Have/are you playing the PS2 Wizardry game(s)?

I've played & loved Tale of the Forsaken Land -but- if you're also playing the JP only ones...I'd LOVE to hear what you have to say about its sequel ("Busin")...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 09:43:08 am »
For me it's anything Atari and also the Tandy Color Computer, or Coco, as it's known by it's fans. I know there's a few of us who collect for it who come here but I don't think there's many of us. It's not nearly as popular as the Atari or Commodore machines but I grew up with it and love it and the games on it.

Veilor

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 10:03:38 am »
I'd say mainly Xbox 360, that's the system I've played on the most.

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 10:57:35 am »
PS2, Dreamcast, and Gamecube

I have collected the most hardcore for these three consoles, and have played a ton of games on them (import and domestic).

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 12:29:18 pm »
My thing is handhelds with changeable media. I have a few of those  ;D

sin2beta

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 06:11:45 pm »
My specialization is knowing the hottest chicks in 16-bit graphics. I wrote my dissertation on it. Artemis from Phelios, we salute you.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

pacpix

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 09:44:32 pm »

Have/are you playing the PS2 Wizardry game(s)?

I've played & loved Tale of the Forsaken Land -but- if you're also playing the JP only ones...I'd LOVE to hear what you have to say about its sequel ("Busin")...
I have not played the PS2 game, the main problem I am having is that I want to build a perfect party in Wizardry 1 so I can transfer it through the first two games, but the grinding is taking forever.  I have put it on hold until baseball season starts so I can level grind on the side for three to four hours every day.  After that I will be going through the series a lot faster and hope to reach Tales of the Forsaken Land by the end of the year.  If you are interested you can actually play through the Japan sequel by following this guide.  As far as I am aware no fan translations have been done for this game, but there are a few listed here for other games.  Some of the Japan remakes of the original games can be near fully translated to English through menu options such as Wizardry Llylgamyn Saga.  I find it fascinating how much Japan loves the Wizardry series.  Just look at the Japan list on Wikipedia compared to the US games!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)