Author Topic: i cant believe how much a factory sealed copy of earthbound is going for  (Read 7397 times)

htimreimer

I think the same tool that posted Eartbound for $20K also posted Secret of Mana for $9K and Chrono Trigger for something similar.

I own the last two in box complete, so, er, I'm rich now?  ;D
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk - have at you!

What i'm about to say will most likely be frowned upon by the whole gaming community but hear me out.

I could never justify spending $2000 for ANY game. Don't mean to come off as a crude arse but seriously.. there are people going without food and if you're willing to toss $2000 around like it's nothing - you don't deserve it! Put it to good use. There are charities, causes, homeless people, and even programmers like matt that could make great use of some serious cash like that.

Personally, if it's not for the reason of collection then i'd just get an emulator to play it. They even have flash based emulators running now. The down side to pirated games are that it's stealing from the developers and hurts their cause. Most rom companies aren't even in business anymore so the developer will NEVER see a dime of what you spend on a game. The only pockets you're hurting are the people like this, selling a classical collection item for so much money.

Just to clarify I do NOT endorse pirating, I do however encourage stuff like rooting, jailbreaking, theming, etc.

desocietas

Actually, I mentioned that I played Earthbound through emulator when I was younger... I don't have a SNES no do I have the money to drop $300 on a cart-only copy.

As far as the ethics of emulation, I think the forum community did discuss it over here -> http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1341.0/topicseen.html

It's true, the developer gets no money from ROMs, but that's not to say we don't want to give them money.  I'm sure if they decided to republish Earthbound, we'd all be happy to give them money.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Actually, I mentioned that I played Earthbound through emulator when I was younger... I don't have a SNES no do I have the money to drop $300 on a cart-only copy.

As far as the ethics of emulation, I think the forum community did discuss it over here -> http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1341.0/topicseen.html

It's true, the developer gets no money from ROMs, but that's not to say we don't want to give them money.  I'm sure if they decided to republish Earthbound, we'd all be happy to give them money.

Thanks for pointing me to that topic. Posted there. Yes, I agree! I'd gladly give my money to the developers that are still "in the game". ;)

tpugmire

I know people talk about some problems with the game's music, but I doubt it would cause any actual problems. I mean, having music that sounded like other people's music hasn't stopped Chrono Trigger, FF7, Donkey Kong Country 3, Mega Man X3, Mega Man 1 and all the genesis Sonic games (amongst others) from being re-released.

The issue with the music isn't that it "sounds like other people's music", the problem is that it actually is other people's music.  I know there are a few songs that are similar to other songs, but the Runaway Five's theme is a direct copy of The Steve Miller Band's song Space Cowboy, just without words.  They didn't even try to change it up a little.  It's blatantly obvious to anyone who knows the song.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

HaHa!

WTF's the "Pompetus of love"; anyways  ::)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

amauriel

HaHa!

Not sure how serious you are, but from what I understand, that was the very first time that word was used. And it was just a placeholder for all the words they weren't allowed to say there.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

HaHa!

Not sure how serious you are, but from what I understand, that was the very first time that word was used. And it was just a placeholder for all the words they weren't allowed to say there.

Nah, not really being too serious...

Just since the post above mine mentioned the game using the Steve Miller song "Space Cowboy" (*but* w/o the lyrics)...I was just having a laugh that (at least *some*) of the lyrics from that song are meaningless/'Nonsense' words, anyhow :P

tpugmire

That line is from "The Joker", not "Space Cowboy".  Jeez, get it right!  :P
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

That line is from "The Joker", not "Space Cowboy".  Jeez, get it right!  :P

Well...I never...  :-[

You're *absolutely* right, though you 'Midnight-Toker'; you  8)

tpugmire

What can I say?   I know my classic rock!  I'm not all that big of a Steve Miller fan, but Les Paul taught him to play the guitar as a kid, so he's definitely talented.  (Yes, THAT Les Paul.)

Considering how much Earthbound has been selling for I'm actually surprised that it isn't higher than that.