Author Topic: The Pay It Forward Thread  (Read 72105 times)

bobster

Re: The Pay It Forward Thread
« Reply #360 on: November 18, 2014, 02:25:22 pm »
Where you get that for $5? Can you get more? :D

It was the last one they had  :-\

I have a  'corrupt' local GS

If my friend - the girl manager - had been working...I'd have gotten it for free (since they were pennying/throwing them out); since it was the guy working (aka the one that's *not* crushing on me), he charged me $5 for it.

Didya want that e-code?
Wow that sounds incredibly soon to be doing that with the game. I wonder if I can sucker someone at one of my gamestops for the same deal.

I don't think that they were doing anything with the actual *game* - just getting rid of the bigger & space-taking guides...
Sorry, I worded that stupidly. I knew it was just the guide. I'm just surprised they're already doing that with the guides as the game is relatively new. Just last year I got a collector's edition version of the guide for Final Fantasy 12 at a gamestop. That was years old at that point so I'm surprised to see them getting rid of those guides so soon.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #361 on: November 18, 2014, 02:28:22 pm »
If no one else claims the code in a few days, Ill take it. Im hoping to score the physical copy of it though! :D

Magic 8-ball says that "there's a very high probability", that it shall come to pass & be as you say  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #362 on: November 18, 2014, 04:13:41 pm »
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:37:46 am by disgaeniac »

argyle

« Reply #363 on: November 18, 2014, 05:52:28 pm »
Crap, I just called the 3 local GS stores where one of the guys I know might be working but either they're not working tonight or they didn't answer the phone, so I just asked 3 Gamestops what time they close. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #364 on: November 19, 2014, 06:32:13 am »
Crap, I just called the 3 local GS stores where one of the guys I know might be working but either they're not working tonight or they didn't answer the phone, so I just asked 3 Gamestops what time they close. :P

any luck?

i didn't even know Bayonetta 2 had a sweet CE hardcover strategy guide - not owning the game/system, I don't really bother keeping up...

kevininja

« Reply #365 on: November 24, 2014, 10:44:32 am »
Here's a code for The Gamers (from the GOG Promotion) since I don't need it:
7AD1D95C03D66C4DG

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #366 on: December 20, 2014, 12:35:10 pm »
I got a stack of free "pennied-out" strategy guides again and, since I got several for the same game + never let it be said that disgaeniac possesses none of that X-Mas spirit, I'm willing to share the wealth...to an extent 8)

I'm not looking to make any money on them & I'm willing to give them away so, here's how it's gonna work:

- I'm giving away (3) copies of the paperback strategy guide for Sunset Overdrive (for the XB1),

- The 1st 3 VGC'ers to post here will lay claim to them,

*BUT*

I'm generous...not a saint or foolish so -

Those who want 1 of these 3 free guides will have to:

(1) PM me for the particulars,

(2) Send me an envelope/box with its shipping prepaid + pre-addressed with who & where they'd like it sent, and

(3) Upon receipt - I'll drop the guide in and 3 of ya will get the guide for the cost of its postage; Enjoy!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2014, 07:52:30 am »
I got a stack of free "pennied-out" strategy guides again and, since I got several for the same game + never let it be said that disgaeniac possesses none of that X-Mas spirit, I'm willing to share the wealth...to an extent 8)

I'm not looking to make any money on them & I'm willing to give them away so, here's how it's gonna work:

- I'm giving away (3) copies of the paperback strategy guide for Sunset Overdrive (for the XB1),

*BUT*

(2) Send me an envelope/box with its shipping prepaid + pre-addressed with who & where they'd like it sent, and

(3) Upon receipt - I'll drop the guide in and 3 of ya will get the guide for the cost of its postage; Enjoy!

Sorry folks, they're gone...

desocietas

« Reply #368 on: December 21, 2014, 01:45:15 pm »

*BUT*

Sorry folks, they're gone...

Dang, that was quick!  Also, who knew that many folks on VGC actually owned an Xbox One  ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2014, 03:37:07 pm »
While VGC's hanD down my favorite & most frequented site...it's not the only place that I'd listed & offered to give those guides away.

didya' really want 1 of em, D-Sis(t:)?

I have the feeling that I could get another one (or another stack) of them, if you'd like one ;)

Have you talked to your b/f at all about this "Pennying-Out" practice of GS?

I'd be curious as to why & how they came to the conclusion that putting a 1 cent price tag on them & throwing them in their dumpsters is > selling em online for (*easily*) $5 to $10 each :o

I'm guessing & assuming that, this way - the store can write them off & document them as only being a "loss" of a penny each (ie: making the amount of their "losses" look much better, on paper)?

I dunno, WTF? >:(

I'd personally be one pissed-off & disgruntled (EX) stock-holder, if a company I'd invested in/owned shares of was - basically, throwing (what could & should be My) cash in the trash :-\

Seriously though, Deso...shit like that - where management's signing off on & instructing the employees to throw good, valuable, and/or wanted items + merchandise in the trash - against company policy, or not - If I was you, I'd ask (read: tell!) your b/f to not draw any attention to himself & not to brag about or discuss it with anyone at work -but- once it's in the trash...GS has relinquished any rights of or to ownership of the merchandise.

The point being - if it was me working there & being told to throw this shit away...you can bet yer sweet ass that, I'd be parking in the back (by the dumpsters), and - throwing it in my car, rather than the dumpster!

Really - it's not even doing anything wrong or to feel 'bad' about; the store won't know the difference between it being in a car vs. a dumpster & it's not stealing or hurting or affecting the store's #'s or bottom line, because...as far as they know & are concerned - it's no different than them throwing it out but, someone else later comes along & takes them out of the dumpster; know what I'm saying, L'il sis?

desocietas

« Reply #370 on: December 23, 2014, 02:19:20 pm »
While VGC's hanD down my favorite & most frequented site...it's not the only place that I'd listed & offered to give those guides away.

didya' really want 1 of em, D-Sis(t:)?

I have the feeling that I could get another one (or another stack) of them, if you'd like one ;)

Have you talked to your b/f at all about this "Pennying-Out" practice of GS?

I'd be curious as to why & how they came to the conclusion that putting a 1 cent price tag on them & throwing them in their dumpsters is > selling em online for (*easily*) $5 to $10 each :o

I'm guessing & assuming that, this way - the store can write them off & document them as only being a "loss" of a penny each (ie: making the amount of their "losses" look much better, on paper)?

I dunno, WTF? >:(

I'd personally be one pissed-off & disgruntled (EX) stock-holder, if a company I'd invested in/owned shares of was - basically, throwing (what could & should be My) cash in the trash :-\

Seriously though, Deso...shit like that - where management's signing off on & instructing the employees to throw good, valuable, and/or wanted items + merchandise in the trash - against company policy, or not - If I was you, I'd ask (read: tell!) your b/f to not draw any attention to himself & not to brag about or discuss it with anyone at work -but- once it's in the trash...GS has relinquished any rights of or to ownership of the merchandise.

The point being - if it was me working there & being told to throw this shit away...you can bet yer sweet ass that, I'd be parking in the back (by the dumpsters), and - throwing it in my car, rather than the dumpster!

Really - it's not even doing anything wrong or to feel 'bad' about; the store won't know the difference between it being in a car vs. a dumpster & it's not stealing or hurting or affecting the store's #'s or bottom line, because...as far as they know & are concerned - it's no different than them throwing it out but, someone else later comes along & takes them out of the dumpster; know what I'm saying, L'il sis?

Ha, I didn't really want one - I was just making a jab at Xbox Ones ;P

But I know you've mentioned the pennying-out practice at your Gamestop - do you know if other stores in your area do it, too?  It just all sounds very fishy, especially since these sound like brand new guides for recent games.

I haven't asked my bf about it, but I don't believe they penny-out anything.  The only time he's mentioned things being of penny-worth is when folks trade in very low-value items, but never in reference to throwing things away or removing them from stock.

AFAIK, he can't remove anything from the garbage bin himself as there have been times that people just leave items they decide they can't trade in for whatever reason and he has to trash it.  He can't allow other people to go through the garbage on the floor either since there are cameras.

But who knows what happens with whatever garbage receptacle they have behind the store... But he told me he would give me a heads-up if they ever trash anything I'd be interested in.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:21:54 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #371 on: December 23, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »
Yep, my five closest stores, at least, all penny-out their stuff when they need the space for newer/'better'/different merchandise, Deso.

I'm *guessing* that, since GS is a franchise - that all of the stores have the exact same policies & pull/do the exact same shit.

I'm making another (pretty educated) guess that - the only reason that *I* can come up with for pennying-out (like you said) pretty new guides, for pretty new games...would have to be to make room for stock that they *Have* to display and/or push for the holidays.

I'd be curious to know what your bf says, if you ever do ask him, though...

My GS "insider" & co-conspirator :P, I know, has risked her job in doing many of the favors that she's been hooking me up with for the last few years now...I know for a fact, that it is absolutely against company policy to give the stuff that gets pennied-out away -and- off the record...she's even told me that almost none of the customers know that they do this and, by the spirit of GS' rules...that the employees aren't even allowed to talk about and/or admit or confirm this policy to Any customers, friends, etc.

Hence, the reason that I'd be really interested in finding out that (and, I strongly suspect that it is) a global & store/chain-wide policy.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #372 on: December 25, 2014, 12:22:27 am »
As a subscriber to Retro Magazine (U.S.), I have a link sent to my email I can give to people for 3 free issues (that's half a year's subscription (comes out every 2 months), BTW, that I had to pay for).

Anyone want to check it out, then go to this link:

https://checkout.subscriptiongenius.com/ReadRetro.com/?promoCode=RETROGIFT

bobster

« Reply #373 on: December 25, 2014, 12:38:09 pm »
I jumped on that. Thanks Burning!
Currently Playing: The Witcher

soera

« Reply #374 on: December 25, 2014, 04:17:02 pm »
As a subscriber to Retro Magazine (U.S.), I have a link sent to my email I can give to people for 3 free issues (that's half a year's subscription (comes out every 2 months), BTW, that I had to pay for).

Thanks man, I jumped on that too!!!! Thats super awesome. :D