Author Topic: A hot button issue: Emulation  (Read 3867 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

A hot button issue: Emulation
« on: June 06, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
How do you feel about emulation?  Some people love it.  Some people think it causes all the worlds ills.  What do you think?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: A hot button issue: Emulation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:40 am »
Honestly, I'd put myself directly in the middle of your 'book-ends'.

100%, Smack-Dab in the center.

If it was by alignment = dead neutral.

Simply because, imo, *emulation* itself is neither inherently "good" nor "evil".

It's how (and for what uses/purposes) it's used by different individuals that would determine my stance/opinion on whether or not it was being *Used* or *Abused*.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 11:18:37 am »
I'm fine with emulation. I actually almost never opened an emulator ever since I started collecting, but I'll occasionally pop one up to play the rarer games I want that I'll probably never get, like Little Samson.

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 12:42:35 pm »
I've never tried an emulator, so I don't have much of an opinion.  I prefer original hardware though, that's why I rarely download any VC games.  Unless the original is stupidly expensive, (arcade games come to mind) I'd rather have the real thing.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

amauriel

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 12:48:54 pm »
When I was a poor college kid, I did emulate a few things. However, the only game I really played that way is Chrono Trigger, and thanks to a job and a husband, I bought it years ago for the PS1 and he got it for me a few years ago for Christmas on the SNES. Then I got it when it came out for the DS, so I feel like I've paid my dues on it.

If they figure out how to emulate Japanese 3DS games on an American 3DS, I may change my stance slightly. I've imported all my Japanese DS games and have physical copies, but with no region-locking, I didn't have to import another system to play them. I hate that these companies punish people for speaking another language.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

foxhack

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:32:08 pm »
I have at least 500 GB of roms.

Is that clear enough for ya? :p

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »
I have at least 500 GB of roms.

Is that clear enough for ya? :p
Thats all?

Emulation is awesome! It isn't really relevant for newer consoles except for the Wii so I don't really understand why people get so up in arms over it.

I also like devices like the Retrode that allow you to use the real cartridge on a pc aswell. Who says you have to have a pirated piece of software to enjoy an emulator?

Its so sexy!
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/01/retrode-plays-original-snes-genesis-carts-on-your-computer/

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »
When I was a poor college kid, I did emulate a few things. However, the only game I really played that way is Chrono Trigger, and thanks to a job and a husband, I bought it years ago for the PS1 and he got it for me a few years ago for Christmas on the SNES. Then I got it when it came out for the DS, so I feel like I've paid my dues on it.

I'm in the same boat as Amauriel.  Back when I was younger, I only played a few emulated games due to lack of owning the system/game, such as Earthbound and Secret of Mana.

I don't really do it now as there are so many other games I own and can play still, and the publishers realize they can still make a buck porting the ones I can't buy/play to a current gen platform that I have.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

madmax

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 07:20:31 pm »
I only emulate games that i have but want to keep safe.

scott

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 12:18:28 am »
I have a mame arcade machine, it has an extensive library or games. More than I'll ever be able to play. I've played console emulators and have a a NES emulator for the DS. and Saturn emulator on PC to play the translated Shining Force games on.

I don't really see the problem and it let's me try out arcade games I've never heard of before. Or play nes games I may be on the fence about buying.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

htimreimer

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 02:57:01 am »
emulation for me at least is a tool that i can use to see what games i want to buy

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 03:34:02 pm »
^ Isn't that what friends, demos, reviews, previews and youtube are for?  IMO - If the game is no longer available to purchase new then game on!

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »
^ Isn't that what friends, demos, reviews, previews and youtube are for?  IMO - If the game is no longer available to purchase new then game on!
Friends may not be interested, demos may not be available, reviews / previews may be bought out, and youtube may block it in your country. :P

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 06:55:58 pm »
Emulation... I only use it when there's an English patch for a Japanese game that wasn't released in America, like Bahamut Lagoon or the earlier Fire Emblem games.  I honestly feel a bit bad that I don't own the Japanese game in question, but importing costs too much for me to handle on my current budget.

Otherwise, I don't use it, but I'm not gonna chastise anyone that does it.  It's nice if the person buys the game afterwards, but... most games emulated are likely from retro systems, and they'd buy the games used, so it's not really hurting the developers unless it's a current gen system, right?
Now Playing: Final Fantasy V Advance, Mega Man Battle Network, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »
desocietas pointed me here, so i'll point you to what I posted before. This topic was about using emulation versus spending thousands of dollars on collectors games.

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1203.msg14594.html#msg14594

If it was by alignment = dead neutral.

Exactly how I feel.

It's how (and for what uses/purposes) it's used by different individuals that would determine my stance/opinion on whether or not it was being *Used* or *Abused*.

This. Completely agreed!

Emulation is awesome! It isn't really relevant for newer consoles except for the Wii so I don't really understand why people get so up in arms over it.

Actually, you're mistaken. Emulation isn't just about emulating video game roms. Emulation goes so much further. They make the x360Key or xKey to emulate the xbox 360 drive to load game ISO files from an external hard drive. Hence... emulation. It's still active even in newer consoles. For a while, the PS3 had the same problem using some sort of USB loader but I believe they plugged that hole for now. It's all a game of cat and mouse for pirates. Did youw know that you can even Emulate satellite television cards to receive free programming? Yes, this still falls under emulation.

I personally use emulators for all my old classic console games - even for the games I own, so they can stay in their packaging.
As my earlier post, it doesn't hurt the developers at all because most of them aren't even in business anymore. IF those companies were to come back in business and release a new game and I wanted it - then i'd buy it. I just don't see the point in spending money on games that don't benefit the company any.