Author Topic: OUYA game system  (Read 6274 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: OUYA game system
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 12:56:13 pm »
@BLIPS76:

Wow!

I'm really amazed (and pleasantly surprised:) at how similarly the two of us see & feel about this issue :P

I mean, I'm sure that there are others who see things (*and* *See What's Coming*) the same way that you & I do...*BUT*, I fear that we are greatly out-numbered  :'(

I mean, IMHO, there's a pretty damned easy solution and/or *COMPROMISE* that could/would resolve these problems concerning the differences between what the producers/publishers want, what the gamers (the ones who will stop buying & supporting *ANY* and *EVERYTHING* that offers nothing in a physical format and takes away our *RIGHTS*to ownership, lending, selling, buying, trading, and yes...even re-selling - if we wish to) want, and what the other group of gamers (the one's who are in favor of/looking forward to a "more convenient" and (supposedly) less expensive format where everything becomes 100% *digital-only* vs. 0% (*Ownership*/*Physical*) mediums...

My (and, btw, I'm *FAR* from being a rocket-scientist or genius or anything like that) "Simple" solution that would take all 3 groups into account, while, at the same time, giving & providing each one of those 3 groups w/ *exactly* what it is that they want...

My "Answer" is simply this:

Do Them...ALL  ;)

Since the pubs/producers want to cut-down on the amount of used games sold, and since there's (*obviously*) a large enough group of gamers who will be satisfied w/ a strictly digital-only format to be viable & profitable to those pubs/devs...*BUT*...What these (I would think some-what, at least; educated executives) seem to be missing...or...possibly just...*IGNORING*...

Is that there is *ALSO* another (largely profitable & viable demographic) - that they will be losing in their entirety :

*THOSE OF US WHO ARE DONE & GONE THE MINUTE THAT THE OPTION TO GAME W/ PHYSICAL GAMES THAT WE ACTUALLY OWN (ONCE WE'VE FORKED OVER OUR CASH TO PAY FOR THEM).

So, here is my proposal (& explanation) of what I meant when I said to "just do it all":

- Using todays' average cost of a new AAA PS3/360 game of ~$60

-If they can make their digital games so much more cheaply (and save *the consumer* $ (which, *I* wouldn't believe until I saw it) - and even if I saw it - I would certainly never have any amount of trust/faith in any of these companies *not* to raise the prices of digital-only games down the road)/by which I wean, why the hell *wouldn't* they raise the prices of new games to outrageous & obscene amounts once they've taken/we've given-up & surrendered all of our rights & demands for physical ownership?!

But, say I'm wrong -and- these companies *Really* want to do nothing more than make games available to gamers for lower & more reasonable prices...just out of the goodness of their hearts & their over-whelming care & consideration of saving their customers money...

Fucking Awesome!
Do IT!

Make, say, Uncharted 4 available to everyone who wants it digitally for $30.00 (They'll be thrilled to "own" the digital code -I mean "version") at 1/2 the price that it woulld have cost them before!

NOW...Make it available to those of it who want to be able to touch, hold, and see lined-up on our shelves these items that we worked, saved, and made sacrifices/cuts in our lives to buy *PHYSICALLY*

...for the same old $60...I'd pay the difference to hold onto my right of ownership.

And seriously, the gamers who *want* the games "Only-Digitally" for lower prices...aren't gonna' be the ones looking to buy used copies anyhow.

I know/I know...and I apologize in advance againg for yet another one of my:

/*RANT*ing/*BLOGS*.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jobocan

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 01:06:13 pm »
I don’t know if you ever played on Onlive but from my experience I can’t see a difference from a game like Aliens vs. Predator on the Onlive from the Xbox version.

I did play OnLive, specifically the PC app since I don't want to buy the OnLive console (and won't need to once I get an OUYA). Specifically I played the Borderlands trial on OnLive and then the game on my PC directly... and there was no doubt that the OnLive version looked a lot worse, with lower resolution, a lot more blurryness and it was a lot grainier. Add to that the fact that my guns weren't always shooting at the same time I was clicking my mouse in OnLive, but they were in the game on my computer... The difference was blatant.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 10:51:41 am »
Hm... this was just posted this morning:

We’ve been saying that OUYA will offer all kinds of games.

This morning, we are honored to announce that OUYA is partnering with Square Enix to bring you one of the most beloved franchises in gaming -- Final Fantasy. We will kick this off with Final Fantasy III, which will be a launch title on OUYA. This will be the first time gamers outside of Japan can play FFIII on their televisions through a console.

But that’s not the end of it: We’re promising to deliver Final Fantasy III like you’ve never seen it before – Hironobu Sakaguchi’s third installment in the role playing game franchise will be updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution in glorious graphic detail. For those of you who are new to Final Fantasy, we’ll offer a free demo so you can give it a go!

Previously unreleased in the U.S. until it appeared as a 3D remake for the Nintendo DS in 2006, Final Fantasy III was widely referred to as one of the “missing pieces” in the FF series. OUYA players can now proudly claim this piece of the puzzle.

We’re thrilled to bring this storied franchise to OUYA.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 03:14:45 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

jobocan

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58:17 pm »
I don't see the big deal here. It's just the Android version of the DS game, which costs more than the DS version anyways. They really need to start showing games that aren't already the same thing you can get on a smartphone.

I mean, I'm getting an OUYA (pledged on the first day) but it's gonna need more than an old DS game to impress me.

madmax

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 02:28:56 pm »
My PC is connected to my TV. I also have game systems on the TV. I really would have no use for such a thing. It would be a downgrade in my opinion.

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »
Hm, "updated to exploit OUYA’s high-definition resolution" might be interesting, but now I'm starting to wonder how much these actual games will cost us.  I never buy anything on PSN as I always think they're overpriced, and I only buy stuff on XBLA when I'm able to get points cards for cheap.  I still prefer my DS physical copy of FFIII, but we'll see what happens at launch.

And in regard to games being no different from what you can play on a smartphone, if there's an added multiplayer feature for games being played on the OUYA, that might be of interest, too.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 04:02:32 pm »
I don't see the big deal here. It's just the Android version of the DS game, which costs more than the DS version anyways. They really need to start showing games that aren't already the same thing you can get on a smartphone.

I mean, I'm getting an OUYA (pledged on the first day) but it's gonna need more than an old DS game to impress me.

This.

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 03:20:47 pm »
Last week (with a strange brown version now) to fund this if you want to jump on the bandwagon.

Kinda informative/interesting article here:
http://kotaku.com/5931116/the-ouya-is-an-android-tablet-without-a-screen-but-its-better-than-that?utm_campaign=socialflow_kotaku_twitter&utm_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Wondering if I should chip in the extra $30 for the second controller or not.  Will certainly be interesting to see how this affects Android game development (if at all).
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 03:39:36 pm »
Won't be too much longer before we get our OUYAs.  I read that some of the developers were complaining about the controllers, so I'm glad they were willing to go back and make some changes based on the feedback (with the deadline to ship to regular backers coming up so soon):

http://www.ouya.tv/its-all-about-control/

I hope it's good.  The controller is so vital...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

darko

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »
Looks like a 360 controller (which would be ideal IMO):

scott

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 03:51:18 pm »
And yet, I still don't care about this thing at all.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 03:52:33 pm »
Ha, well this is the first time I've even herd of it. I really don't see a point in owning it TBH.

scott

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 03:54:00 pm »
Ha, well this is the first time I've even herd of it. I really don't see a point in owning it TBH.

It's ok. You were still gone when we were talking about it's Kickstarter project on the forum. :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 03:58:24 pm »
I somehow missed this thing too. When I get home later, Im going to read about it ... I dont know what to think of it yet.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:10 pm »
Right now, I'd have to say that I'm w/ Darko & Scott on this...