Author Topic: Displaying Your Collection  (Read 6927 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2012, 09:04:14 am »

Don't get me wrong - my games are all sorted alphabetically and by platform (*Unless* it's something like Demon's Souls & Dark Souls for my PS3)...which...after giving it *WAY* more time & thought than such a trivial thing ever warrants or deserves...I decide that - since they both start with a "D"...and since they're in the same 'series', *and*, since Demon's Souls preceded Dark Souls...Dark Souls comes right AFTER Demon's Souls on my shelf :P

"Which comes first: 1943 or 3-D Worldrunner?"
"Is it L for The Little Mermaid or D for Disney's The Little Mermaid?"
"Does Zelda II really have to go under Z? What about Zoda's Revenge?"
O__O

HEY!!!

I know you, don't I?!

(Recognized your sig) :P

We're friends on PSN already; right?!

-That would explain why you're messin' w/ me so early on a Sunday morning...

;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2012, 09:44:46 am »
I do alpha on NES according to the label itself. The only exception I have is the stupid Jaleco games (City Connection, Bases Loaded) that have Jaleco itself on the label.
So I have Zelda II filed as Adventure of Link, Flight of the Intruder is filed as Intruder, Adventure of Lolo is just Lolo, Star Tropics 2 is Zoda's Revenge, etc. I do ignore stuff like "The" and periods (MUSCLE and MULE for example).

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 09:49:40 am »
I do alpha on NES according to the label itself. The only exception I have is the stupid Jaleco games (City Connection, Bases Loaded) that have Jaleco itself on the label.
So I have Zelda II filed as Adventure of Link, Flight of the Intruder is filed as Intruder, Adventure of Lolo is just Lolo, Star Tropics 2 is Zoda's Revenge, etc. I do ignore stuff like "The" and periods (MUSCLE and MULE for example).

Oh yeah - I forgot to mention that...I also ignore any "The" that comes before the actual title.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 11:06:35 am »
Right now I can't really "display" much as we're living in a condo (and my girlfriend is already very antsy about the gaming stuff anyways haha), so space is limited.

Thanks to UGC's, things like the previously linked prepac media storage unit make a ton of sense, and depending on how our spare room shapes up, (she wants to put a spare bed in there and all that stuff women wanna do naturally first), I may or may not have room in there to fiddle with. :)

One day though.... ONE DAY... I shall have a proper game room! :D

rachel

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

HEY!!!

I know you, don't I?!

(Recognized your sig) :P

We're friends on PSN already; right?!

-That would explain why you're messin' w/ me so early on a Sunday morning...

;)

Haha, not that I know of. I don't think I ever tried adding people on PSN. I have a few PS3 games, but the console is mostly a Netflix box at the moment. :D I used to be an editor, so I definitely overthink the alphabetization thing. Just staring at that MLB label like... ML? Or MA? Terrifying.

I decided to paint the walls of my game room and put in a new ceiling fan, so I'll need to uninstall and reinstall all the shelving, move out the arcade cabinet, etc. Starting over should be scary but fun! I was thinking about doing some photographic documentation of the process. Nerdy, I know...

madmax

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 02:54:56 am »
I'm a glass cabinet kind of guy but I would need UV protected glass and I don't really have the funds or space for that right now.

So for now, my collection is under my bed in a rolling shelf compartment. Keeping away from dust and sun.

scott

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 11:33:55 am »
Eventually, I'll have a game room, designed like a study. With in wall wooden shelving and some glass cabinets. Personally, I don't think the sun is huge deal, unless it's direct sunlight. Indirect light and household lighting doesn't bother me, I've had all my games out on shelving my entire gaming life and I don't see anything that looks faded, unless I wasn't the original owner.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 11:40:22 am »
I dont think normal lighting could do any noticable damage unless you simply never turned the light off and it was close enough to actually burn/bleach the items. I like the way my game room is set up now other than the case my DQ/DW collection is in. But thats a future change.

madmax

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »
Does anyone know where I could get uv resistant display cabinets?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Something like that but UV resistant.

scott

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:04 pm »
Does anyone know where I could get uv resistant display cabinets?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10011055/

Something like that but UV resistant.

Oh that cabinet is sexy.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

madmax

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 03:26:51 am »
Yeah I may buy that one. I have blackout curtains that are never opened. I'm still super afraid of UV damage *paranoid*

Edit; After some research you can buy transparent films that you apply yourself. They are for house windows but I just need to get a clear UV protective film, apply it before I put the cabinet together and then I have a pretty fancy display case
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:34:51 am by madmax »

jcalder8

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 12:42:54 pm »

Don't get me wrong - my games are all sorted alphabetically and by platform (*Unless* it's something like Demon's Souls & Dark Souls for my PS3)...which...after giving it *WAY* more time & thought than such a trivial thing ever warrants or deserves...I decide that - since they both start with a "D"...and since they're in the same 'series', *and*, since Demon's Souls preceded Dark Souls...Dark Souls comes right AFTER Demon's Souls on my shelf :P

O__O
1. 3 comes before 1943
2. Little mermaid because that's how it's listed in my collection
3. collector's choice :D

soera

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »
I actually do the 1 in 1943 before the 3 in 3-D

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »

O__O
1)1943 first.. treat it just like you would anything else you are alphabetizing.
2)This one is a bit tougher to answer since technically it is Disney's The Little Mermaid. I personally go by whats in Nintendo's Official check list.
3)The titles aren't The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link or Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge... So based by alphabet, Yes Zelda II belongs in the Z's and so does Zoda's revenge.

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 05:41:05 pm »
ah ive been thinking of making end labels for my n64 games like you have up there, but i want them all to be the same format as in the same size labels for all carts. ive searched a bunch and i see mrbigreddog made some labels a couple years back but hes out of business now appearently. i was hoping someone who bought the whole 296 set would scan them for other to print off but so far no luck...

as for alphabatizing stuff i exclude 'the' from titles so the little mermaid i would file under 'L'
i split my nes zelda games as zelda 1 is 'legend of zelda' (so under L) and zelda 2 under Z