Author Topic: Super Dungeon Explore!  (Read 8255 times)

scott

Super Dungeon Explore!
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:26:40 pm »
Has anyone here heard of this game? It's a board game that is supposed to emulate classic dungeon crawl video games, namely of the Japanese variety.

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jcalder8

Re: Super Dungeon Explore!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 12:26:03 am »
OMG this looks awesome! But ouch it's expensive!

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
I've heard about this game solely because I pledged to that company's kickstarter for a game called "Tentacle Bento", which got suspended by the kickstarter people because of Kotaku's stupidity (though they continued funding on their own and will be releasing it soon).

It looks like a cool game, but I'm not into assembling and painting miniatures so I'm not terribly interested in that aspect :P

Also, they have another miniatures-based game up on kickstarter right now that also seems interesting:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/relic-knights

scott

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:06 am »
It looks like a cool game, but I'm not into assembling and painting miniatures so I'm not terribly interested in that aspect :P

I'm all about miniatures and tabletop gaming, so it's right up my alley. I just ordered it after reading a ton of reviews on it, I debated on it for a while though. It should be here Monday and then I'll get to work gluing and assembling everything. The good news is, they are releasing an expansion and all the minis will be preassembled this time. I'm going to paint everything, just because I can, and hopefully I can get some friends together soon so we can run through it a few times.

Also, they have another miniatures-based game up on kickstarter right now that also seems interesting:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/relic-knights

I actually found out about SDE because of the Relic Knights kickstarter, which I'm backing just because I think it'll be fun to paint up some of the minis. Of course I'm going to back it for enough to get 2 sets and the rulebook so I can actually play it too. I know I want the Cerci starter, but haven't decided which other team to go with.

jcalder8

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:42:30 pm »
If I knew someone who would put all the figures together for me I would be a lot more tempted.

scott

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 10:32:37 am »
Here's a couple of the hero models I've painted up so far.

Fire Mage and Rogue

Panda Bear Druid - The Panda wasn't my idea, I got it from another guy I was talking SDE with. He painted it up Panda and I thought it was a hell of an idea. So, I told him I was totally stealing the Panda idea.

And yes, the Druid transforms into the Bear.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:46:36 am »
That rogue is pure win
:)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 03:12:13 pm »
The panda bear idea is genius!  So much more character than a regular brown beast or what-have-ya.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 03:26:19 pm »
I really like the way the rogue turned out for sure. And the Panda is such a fun idea. I figured if the game is supposed to be a tribute to old console games like Gauntlet and Zelda, why not have fun with it.

Also, we played our first game on Sunday and it was a total blast, even tho we screwed the rules up a bit. I can't wait to dig in a bit more and get some real games rolling.

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:32:21 pm »
Man, those figurines make me wish I knew folks who play tabletop games with minis.  All I want to do is paint lil' chibis, too.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:59:19 pm »
Ha, do what I do. The gf was already game, but I had to nearly force my sister to play. Both loved it. I'm sure when I show it to my cousins they'll dig it right away too.

The only drawback right now is the price tag. Between this and the new expansion, plus standalone figs and boosters. I'll easily break the $200 mark (not counting the price of brushes and paint supplies).

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »
those are some cool minis. I'd NEVER have the patience to paint one of these anymore, let alone enough to play the game. Good job!

scott

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 12:54:16 am »
Thanks, my GF doesn't understand how I have the amount of patience required for doing these. But she's also always super impressed with the results too and is always asking to see the latest ones I've done. That said, here is the Dwarf Warrior from the game, which I just finished a bit ago.

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 02:32:16 am »
Nice!  I think they'd be super fun to paint... more so than things like model cars.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

jcalder8

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 02:53:29 am »
Wow scott those look amazing, I wish that I had the skills to do that but my hands shake a bit so they could never come out as nice as yours.