Author Topic: Gamer Metalheads  (Read 51739 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Gamer Metalheads
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2013, 01:21:29 pm »
I have CDs and records too but I enjoy listening to tapes at home. Records not so much because they are too annoying. Keep having to get up to flip it over or deal with it skipping. CDs I just listen to in the car.

What makes you prefer listening to cassettes over CD's at home?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #271 on: November 03, 2013, 12:05:53 am »
RPG loving metalhead will enjoy this a lot:

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #272 on: November 09, 2013, 11:56:24 am »

Fantastic cover of a fantastic Pink Floyd song by a fantastic band. Instead of Tarja singing, this one is sung by Marco. He has a great voice, I wish he'd do a little more vocals in the band than he does.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #273 on: November 09, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »
Years back when Napster and Limewire were all the rage, I sold a lot of my music collection to fund my game collection, thinking I could just download all those albums.

Well, here I am years later, feeling nostalgic about those albums, and wanting a real music collection again. So I've been building up my collection a bit lately, focusing more on music than I was on video games.

My collection isn't nearly what it was before I sold my albums, but it's getting there. And I'm getting a lot that I never had to begin with. Thought I'd share where I'm at. Here's a few pics of it. I'm a bit over a 100 albums.

A few notes:
-You don't see many albums in these pics, because a number of them I acquired in a cheapie bulk buy, and some of those didn't have their original cases, so all of those ones are hanging out together on a CD spindle.

-The tapes that have handwritten labels are real tapes, but I lost the artwork somehow over the years.

-Finally, sorry about the photo quality. I'm not a photographer by any means.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:45:19 pm by burningdoom »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #274 on: November 10, 2013, 09:25:37 pm »
Korn has a concert on AXS right now. They are so good live.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #275 on: November 15, 2013, 03:09:38 am »
I'd like to build a list of games that center around metal/hard rock or have a significant amount of metal/hard rock tracks in them. Suggestions are welcome.

Ones I can think of off the top of my head:

-Brutal Legend
-Crue Ball
-Guitar Hero series
-KISS Pinball
-Lords of Thunder (the soundtrack is definitely metal-inspired)
-Rise of the Six String
-Road Rash series (3DO/Saturn/PS1 era)
-Rock Band series
-Rocksmith
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series

What else have you got?

tripredacus

« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2013, 04:21:58 pm »
What makes you prefer listening to cassettes over CD's at home?

IDK just because the only thing to play CDs is the PS2.

I recently found a Deicide and an Asphyx CDs at Goodwill.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:39:14 pm by tripredacus »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #277 on: December 01, 2013, 03:08:33 pm »
So, let's talk about...Nu-Metal.

This is a very divisive sub-genre in the metal community. Some metal-heads swear by it. Many more hate it with a passion. And some get pissed it's even considered a sub-genre since it's so loosely defined.

Personally, I've always felt Nu-Metal refers to a distinct hip-hop influenced style of metal. Bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, Rage Against the Machine, and Linkin Park. But I've talked to enough people to know that's not the case in many people's minds. A lot of people just lump most mid-to-late 90s to early 2000s mainstream metal bands into the Nu-Metal category.

I personally don't like most of the hip-hop influenced bands. I've never been into hip-hop or rap. However, I do like a number of the other bands that are often labeled as Nu-Metal, even if the moniker doesn't exactly fit.

Here's some that I've enjoyed:
-Chevelle
-Coal Chamber (I haven't actually heard them in years, though)
-Deftones
-Disturbed
-Mudvayne
-The Murderdolls (Another one I haven't heard in years)
-Sevendust
-Slipknot
-Tool

So how do you feel about Nu-Metal? Like it? Hate it?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #278 on: December 01, 2013, 05:07:07 pm »
The only band I've ever heard referred to as Nu-Metal is Korn. Kind of like the only Industrial Metal band is NIN.
I love that kind of music. Korn is one of my favorite bands of all time. Most of the bands on that list are badass. I remember the name Coal Chamber, but couldn't tell you one song they sing. Same with Murderdolls.

On a side note: A couple of years ago in Las Vegas, my wife and I did shots of moonshine with Sevendust. The singer that looks all jacked and muscled up is a really short dude.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #279 on: December 01, 2013, 05:10:27 pm »
So, let's talk about...Nu-Metal.

So how do you feel about Nu-Metal? Like it? Hate it?

I like tool, A perfect Circle, Deftones, and Drowning Pool Also, I'll occasionally listen to slipknot & Rage against the Machine, but that's as far as I'll go with Nu Metal. there are bands I see in list of nu metal bands that I don't think belong wether I like them or not (ex. linkin park, Incubus), and then there are the bands I hate (hollywood undead, Limp Bizkit, System of a Down). Personally it's just another Metal genre, however since there are so few I actually like I tend to put those with my Alternative Metal music

pacpix

« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2013, 02:10:49 am »
Linkin Park's first two albums have a special place in my heart since it helped spark my interest in Metal music.  Other than that though I have not been able to get into much Nu Metal music, especially songs with a lot of rap. I do enjoy a few bands like Disturbed though.  That could always change though as there was a time when I found Turn Loose the Swans to be a boring album, but it is now my favorite album and Doom metal has become my favorite subgenre over the past year.
That's the beauty of Metal, there is a subgenre for everyone.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »
there are bands I see in list of nu metal bands that I don't think belong wether I like them or not (ex. linkin park, Incubus)

Other bands like Tool and Disturbed are definitely questionable. But Linkin Park isn't; they most definitely have a rap influence in their music. No doubt about them, they're nu-metal.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2013, 07:21:11 pm »
there are bands I see in list of nu metal bands that I don't think belong wether I like them or not (ex. linkin park, Incubus)

Other bands like Tool and Disturbed are definitely questionable. But Linkin Park isn't; they most definitely have a rap influence in their music. No doubt about them, they're nu-metal.

I guess I Should re-word that a little Linnkin Park never struck me as "metal", Rock yes but not Metal. Then again I never really cared enough for Linkin Park to listen to anything outside of what you heard on the Radio.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2013, 08:05:37 pm »

I guess I Should re-word that a little Linnkin Park never struck me as "metal", Rock yes but not Metal. Then again I never really cared enough for Linkin Park to listen to anything outside of what you heard on the Radio.

Oh, okay, I see. I guess I can agree with that. But they sure pulled the wool over a lot people's eyes with their first album. I remember seeing commercials on MTV and VH1 for that album, and it showed "One Step Closer" which is a bit harder than their normal style.

I went out and bought the album based on that commercial, and was severely disappointed.

« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2013, 08:40:35 pm »
Linkin Park's been my favourite band since I've had a favourite band. I like nu metal a lot, I would say it as my favourite metal genre. However, I'm very open minded when it comes to metal. I like stoner metal, doom metal, black metal, death metal, industrial metal, thrash metal, groove metal, power metal, NWOBHM, funk metal, glam metal, progressive metal, speed metal, and grunge (if that counts).