Author Topic: Recently Added to Other Collections  (Read 89440 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Recently Added to Other Collections
« Reply #210 on: May 01, 2013, 12:41:51 pm »

BUT, Mustaine > Hammet, IMO!

Hell yes! \m/

« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2013, 01:06:31 pm »
Oh and I have like 394 albums on iTune and prolly at least 300 are CDs or close to it. I'm in the process of replacing my iTunes bought albums w/ real CDs too. Once I build my entertainment center in the living room, the goal is to have a row of CDs from one end of the wall to he other (it's a 25' wall). I did the math once, and that'd be like 650 standard size CD cases. :D

Matt doesn't understand my love of CDs though, and keeps going on about "dying format, yada yada".

It sort of is a dying format, but on the same token, there's no real successor. SACD and HDCD basically died on the vine, and digital stuff is still usually CD quality or worse. I think I've seen maybe one instance of a release in 24/96... and even then, there's often no way to redownload because services are all over the place.

So I still buy CDs, if I can't get something on vinyl. Probably sitting on around 800 or so, though I do tend to rip everything to WavPack and shelve it. Oddly enough, I tend to listen album by album rather than just putting things on shuffle - I think it's important to hear what the artist was trying to put together for a particular release rather than just plucking out tracks at random all the time.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:08:27 pm by insektmute »

scott

« Reply #212 on: May 01, 2013, 01:19:27 pm »
I'll listen to progressive, or concept albums in one sitting, usually. But the rest of the time, I leave it on shuffle.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #213 on: May 01, 2013, 03:52:25 pm »

BUT, Mustaine > Hammet, IMO!

Hell yes! \m/

Quoted (and Re-Quoted:) for being the 'truthiest' kind of truth that there is, baby  :P

If your opinion differs, than it's *wrong*  ;)

(That said - Hammet's no slouch, either)  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #214 on: May 01, 2013, 04:42:29 pm »
Considering I've never heard a song by Metallica with Mustaine on guitar. I have to agree to disagree. As I really do think Hammett is a stellar guitarist.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #215 on: May 01, 2013, 04:58:50 pm »
Considering I've never heard a song by Metallica with Mustaine on guitar. I have to agree to disagree. As I really do think Hammett is a stellar guitarist.

Here you can see Mustaine playing "Mechanix" (before Metallica "appropriated it as "The 4 Horsemen":) live & listen to him for yourself, since you've never heard him play any of Metallica's stuff...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=megadeth+mechanix&mid=588B8BFDEAC6B75DCEF4588B8BFDEAC6B75DCEF4&view=detail&FORM=VIRE2

scott

« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2013, 06:11:41 pm »
I'll also say, I don't really like Megadeth either tho. So.. Ya.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2013, 07:05:14 pm »
I'll listen to progressive, or concept albums in one sitting, usually. But the rest of the time, I leave it on shuffle.

Both Metallica and Megadeth albums NEED to be heard as a whole. Bruce Dickinson Iron Maiden is the same way. Every song complements the last one.

As for concept albums, Queensryche, Iced Earth, and Amorphis are essential bands for this. "Constitution of Treason" by God Forbid and "Obselete" by Fear Factory are also very good.

pacpix

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2013, 08:15:25 pm »
I'll also say, I don't really like Megadeth either tho. So.. Ya.
Glad I am not the only one!  I think it is the vocals I don't like, but I am not sure...
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2013, 12:25:01 am »
If you want to hear horrible vocals on a really popular band : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Label_Society

I still do have a few CDs but they are all Disturbed. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2013, 01:26:16 am »
If you want to hear horrible vocals on a really popular band : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Label_Society

I still do have a few CDs but they are all Disturbed. :)

Disturbed is a good band, though. If that's all you have, it's not a bad choice. At least it's not Celine Dion.

soera

« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2013, 10:59:51 am »
Im not going to lie. I love listening to Celine Dion. Been doing it since I was in junior high. Her voice is awesome and would own any of these new girls (Beyonce, Gaga, etc). And she is timelessly beautiful. Which doesnt hurt either. :)

I do have a thing for female singers. Cranberries, Otep, Evanescence, Halestorm, Flyleaf, Kittie, etc. Something about is just nice!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #222 on: May 02, 2013, 12:05:03 pm »
Both Metallica and Megadeth albums NEED to be heard as a whole. Bruce Dickinson Iron Maiden is the same way. Every song complements the last one.

Good point!

I've "known"/"recognized" this -but- hadn't thought to word it that way or look at it like that before.

IMO, though, not just Dickinson -but- even on the Killers (D'ianno) album...I'd say the same thing.

I *LIKE* this thought, though, so I'll add a couple to it -and- I'd be interested in any others that the rest of ya can think of to add to this list :)

- Ozzy albums (particularly the *Best* aka "Rhandy Rhoads" R.I.P.) albums.

- Pink Floyd albums,

- (Most) Judas Priest albums, and -not metal- but...

- Styx (*especially* Paradise Theater) and many of the Stones & Who albums.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #223 on: May 02, 2013, 10:33:55 pm »

As for concept albums, Queensryche, Iced Earth, and Amorphis are essential bands for this. "Constitution of Treason" by God Forbid and "Obselete" by Fear Factory are also very good.

I'm listening to a very cool concept album, right now:

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2013, 08:13:28 pm »
Free Comic Book Day today! I got a bunch of back-issues, because my LCS was having a 75% off sale, filled in most of my Batman: Knightfall holes:

-Batman #495, 496, 499, 500 - Newstand (already have the special cover), 501 (Knightfall issues)
-Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #63 (Knightsend)
-Batman: Shadow of the Bat #29, 30 (Knightsend)
-Catwoman #12 (Knightsend)
-Detective Comics Starring Batman #659, 661, 663, 664, 665, 668 (All Knightfall/Knightquest issues)
-Robin #8 & 9 (Knightsend issues)
-Superior Spider-Man #5, 6, 7
-Uncanny X-Men #336 (Onslaught Issue)

As for actual free issues, we were limited to 2 copies only, so I got:

-Infinity (Marvel) Free Comic Book Day
-Superman: The Last Son of Krypton
-Bongo Comic Free-For-All 2013 (The Simpson) - Comic shop guy just gave me this one extra since I'm a regular.

The only one I really missed out on that I wanted to read since I was limited to only 2 was the Star Wars one, and I probably would have enjoyed the DC Nation one.

Also went to Goodwill and got the following:

-Action Replay DS (complete in the original packaging!)
-Kull the Conqueror
-TNA Wrestling: Year 1 DVD
-WWF: Survivor Series 2001 (thought I was getting Survivor Series 1999, as that's the box it came in, oh well, I still would have bought 2001 if I knew it)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:49:40 pm by burningdoom »