Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1532049 times)

abe

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3075 on: August 02, 2014, 02:50:10 pm »
Anyone recommend a link for the Nintendo and Sega drivers to open up Nintendo games and Sega? Also what about Game Boy Advance games ? And anywhere to get these screwdrivers locally?

I don't know what Sega's stuff needs, but Nintendo's security bits and tri wing screwdrivers are really cheap to buy off of Ebay. I'm not sure if you'll find them locally, and if you do they probably will be overpriced anyways. You can open up just about any of Nintendo's game cartridges, consoles, and accessories with either a 3.8mm security bit, 4.5mm security bit, or a tri wing screwdriver (though I believe you can use a plain ol' Phillips head screwdriver for the original Game Boy). The tri wing screwdrivers are quite a bit cheaper than the security bits. Also, make sure it says in the Ebay listing that it works for Nintendo's stuff. Since you asked, GBA games are the ones that use the tri wing screwdriver.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:52:26 pm by abe »
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3076 on: August 02, 2014, 02:53:48 pm »
Anyone recommend a link for the Nintendo and Sega drivers to open up Nintendo games and Sega? Also what about Game Boy Advance games ? And anywhere to get these screwdrivers locally?

You can get a tri-wing bit in a little electronics kit at Harbor Freight. Everything else you got to get online just type in Nintendo security bit on ebay or amazon and you'll find them. Just avoid the black ones.

foxhack

« Reply #3077 on: August 02, 2014, 03:00:28 pm »
Does anyone here know of any websites that you can use to see what inserts game with which games? Say, for example, you want to know if a game came with more than just an instruction manual, or if it came with two manuals in a couple languages. It would be a huge help if somebody could point me in the right direction. :)

The only places that seem to keep tabs on that sorta stuff are collectors' sites like the Nintendo / Sega / PlayStation Age sites.

90snostalga

« Reply #3078 on: August 02, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »

You can get a tri-wing bit in a little electronics kit at Harbor Freight. Everything else you got to get online just type in Nintendo security bit on ebay or amazon and you'll find them. Just avoid the black ones.

Do you mean with the black handle? Are these cheaply made?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3079 on: August 02, 2014, 04:08:22 pm »
I'll have to keep all of that in mind when I start Escha and Logy. I think I'm more excited about Shallie and getting around to playing Rorona Plus.

As an update, I got Astrid's ending which was apparently the hardest one to get. I was also able to earn the trophies for completing the item encyclopedia and the monster encyclopedia. Now, I'm trying to make it so my alchemy level and Hom level reach 50.

iirc, you've got the toughest ones behind you already  ;D

The only other ones that I can remember dragging a little bit would be the "Pie" ending & the Millionaire ones  8)

What's got you excited about Shallie - I've heard & know absolutely nothing about it?

Is it the 3rd and/or last of the Dusk series?

"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

maximo310

« Reply #3080 on: August 02, 2014, 06:44:49 pm »

Yes, sometimes those black handle security bits can be of bad quality and may not work well when trying to get into the electronics so you should get these security bits, as they are cheap and  have some good build quality:
http://www.amazon.com/Security-Screwdriver-Female-3-8mm-4-5mm/dp/B00GT15JPU
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 08:05:02 pm by maximo310 »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3081 on: August 02, 2014, 07:01:30 pm »

Yes, sometimes those black handle tri-wing can be of bad quality and may not work well when trying to get into the electronics, so the kit at Harbor Freight is one of the better sets to geta tri-wing from. And for a security bit, I'd get these, as they are cheap and good build quality:

I was talking about the bits you linked I've seen black versions of them and I'm actually surprised they don't crumble in you're hand. The paired you linked him to is probably the best for your money

tpugmire

« Reply #3082 on: August 02, 2014, 07:44:36 pm »
For future reference:
3.8mm bits will open NES, SNES, N64, GB games. For some early NES games, a small flathead screwdriver is all that is needed.

4.5mm bits will open SNES, N64, GC, TG16 consoles, and some Genesis games.

The tri-wing opens various Game Boy and DS systems and GBA games.

I'm sure I missed a few, but it's a good start.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

maximo310

« Reply #3083 on: August 02, 2014, 08:04:01 pm »

Yes, sometimes those black handle tri-wing can be of bad quality and may not work well when trying to get into the electronics, so the kit at Harbor Freight is one of the better sets to geta tri-wing from. And for a security bit, I'd get these, as they are cheap and good build quality:

I was talking about the bits you linked I've seen black versions of them and I'm actually surprised they don't crumble in you're hand. The paired you linked him to is probably the best for your money
Alright, i'll modify that to reflect this new info.

scott

« Reply #3084 on: August 02, 2014, 08:29:36 pm »
Does anyone here know of any websites that you can use to see what inserts game with which games? Say, for example, you want to know if a game came with more than just an instruction manual, or if it came with two manuals in a couple languages. It would be a huge help if somebody could point me in the right direction. :)

The only places that seem to keep tabs on that sorta stuff are collectors' sites like the Nintendo / Sega / PlayStation Age sites.

Ya I got mine from an online import shop years ago... Sony put them out of business though. :(
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

90snostalga

« Reply #3085 on: August 03, 2014, 02:13:56 am »
@Disgaeniac, I'm jumping on the Rorona train. I'm about to give it a try and see if its something I can enjoy  :)

90snostalga

« Reply #3086 on: August 03, 2014, 02:17:34 am »
For future reference:
3.8mm bits will open NES, SNES, N64, GB games. For some early NES games, a small flathead screwdriver is all that is needed.

4.5mm bits will open SNES, N64, GC, TG16 consoles, and some Genesis games.

The tri-wing opens various Game Boy and DS systems and GBA games.

I'm sure I missed a few, but it's a good start.

Thanks Tpugmire :) This helps tremendously.

90snostalga

« Reply #3087 on: August 03, 2014, 04:06:24 am »
@Disgaeniac, I'm jumping on the Rorona train. I'm about to give it a try and see if its something I can enjoy  :)

Actually, scratch this. Looks like I'm calling Sony in the morning. I've only used my ps3 a few times since getting it brand new back in December. I played red deaf redemption, white knight on it and watched one blu ray movie on it. Put Atelier Rorona in it and as soon as it loaded it said "system wad not shut down properly" so then it shut off immediately within seconds. Turn it back on and I can the green light but no display on my tv at all. After 15 seconds, it shuts itself off and the red stand by light won't come on. I'm very frustrated right now. Within a year, and already problems.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3088 on: August 03, 2014, 04:38:00 am »

I bought the bits that fit in a multi-bit screwdriver at nintendorepairhut.com. They seem to be good quality. I haven't rounded any screws off yet.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3089 on: August 03, 2014, 07:59:34 am »

Actually, scratch this. Looks like I'm calling Sony in the morning. I've only used my ps3 a few times since getting it brand new back in December. I played red deaf redemption, white knight on it and watched one blu ray movie on it. Put Atelier Rorona in it and as soon as it loaded it said "system wad not shut down properly" so then it shut off immediately within seconds. Turn it back on and I can the green light but no display on my tv at all. After 15 seconds, it shuts itself off and the red stand by light won't come on. I'm very frustrated right now. Within a year, and already problems.

Sorry to hear that - that really sucks.

The "wasn't shut off properly" message  isn't necessarily, in itself, a big deal; & what you're describing doesn't really sound like a YLoD.

I get that message at least once a week and usually - just shutting everything off & then holding the power button down continuously long enough for the system to turn itself on & off again fixes it...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"